Brian Ferentz bolting to coach with O'brien for Houston Texans?

Kirk knew this b/c he is his son--at least prior to his hire at Iowa. Not a lot of objective evidence to prove that he would have been better than someone like AJ Blazek, former Hawkeye center who won a national award while coaching the OL at Winona St. Prior to BF coming to Iowa. Nepotism is all around this game. Lane Kiffin ring a bell?

So what you are saying is that you don't know qualified candidates unless you know them? Thank you Captain Obvious.

Would Brian Ferentz be the OL coach at Iowa if his name wasn't Ferentz? Probably not. Does that mean he isn't qualified to be a OL coach of major division one football? Absolutely not.

My best friend may be my accountant. Now, I only use him because he was my friend and I knew him, but that doesn't make him a bad/unqualified accountant.

Pretty much this. Kirk would probably tell him the same thing. Also, I'm not sure why some people think he is currently qualified to become our new and improved OC.

I don't think he is necessarily qualified. I just see it as the only possible exit strategy from GD, and there is no chance he can be worse. If it ain't BF, it aint gonna be nobody other than Greg ****ing Davis.

Another factor in this is that he recently bought a new home in IC and just had a child. I think he's kind of happy where his life is at the moment.

O-Line coach at an NFL team is an upgrade in responsibility, he would be working for a head coach and OC at the Texans that are more inventive that KF and GD, it would be getting back under the Belichek coaching tree, and if he goes there and succeeds it is a big bump on the resume.

Lots of former O-line coaches become OCs in the pros/colleges and then go on to be head coaches.

It is really an upgrade for BF if it happens and I bet KF is behind BF 100% on whatever decision he makes.

A Ferentz is rumored to be leaving for the NFL? Oh, noes! We can't let that happen -- a raise and a contract extension ASAP!!!!

Pardon my cynicism, but where have we seen this before...? :eek:

KF is the BFF of BF and Bill O'Brien took the job so they can select JFF with the first pick in the draft and win a Super Bowl for H-Town.

If he has aspirations to become a candidate as the next head coach at Iowa then I think this rumored move would be a smart move for his career. I think he can only learn or accomplish so much while bouncing around within potential assignments at Iowa. Return to the pros under a different head coach and situation vs. New England. Spend more time around other successful football minds and he'll be wiser for it.

no kidding. In addition...I love it when people make statements like Brian Ferentz came up with the 3 TE set idea. How the hell would you know in less you were in the planning meeting? It's like the statement that Brian was the reason for changes on offense. I'm sure he has input, but GD ran tempo offense at Texas...it could be he wanted to do that here. Hmmm...Brian must have influenced him to remember he did that at Texas. We didn't run tempo two years ago because we didn't have the personnel and we were afraid of putting our defense on the field faster. This past year, we had confidence we could do it successfully and we weren't afraid of putting our defense on the field faster.
I don't recall seeing 3TE set being used as much as its been used since tOSU game. Obviously I'm not in the game scheming sessions I'm making an assumption based on watching GD the last two years running 235 LBS FB on a outside zone read play over and over again, running 3yds outs when they need 9 yds for a first down. I think we can all agree GD hasn't been very impressive with play calling. The Patriots and PSU use the 3 TE sets often making it easy to parallel an assumption that BF had a hand in implementing the set.

I don't recall seeing 3TE set being used as much as its been used since tOSU game. Obviously I'm not in the game scheming sessions I'm making an assumption based on watching GD the last two years running 235 LBS FB on a outside zone read play over and over again, running 3yds outs when they need 9 yds for a first down. I think we can all agree GD hasn't been very impressive with play calling. The Patriots and PSU use the 3 TE sets often making it easy to parallel an assumption that BF had a hand in implementing the set.

Iowa used to run a ton of 3 TE sets when Myers Moeaki and Reisner were on the team. If memory serves they ran it a bunch in the years before that too. Basically the only times they haven't used those sets a lot were when they were in good shape with the receivers.

I don't believe Brian is leaving. I'm sure one of the reasons for coming to Iowa was the job security. A young family, not having to move regularly and having a very safe job...I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say he is staying.

If he has aspirations to become a candidate as the next head coach at Iowa then I think this rumored move would be a smart move for his career. I think he can only learn or accomplish so much while bouncing around within potential assignments at Iowa. Return to the pros under a different head coach and situation vs. New England. Spend more time around other successful football minds and he'll be wiser for it.

For those concerned about BF leaving he can always apply for the HC job once his dad retires, all with a vastly improved resume. Becoming a head coach at the D-1 level is almost like getting to be a manager of a Hy-Vee in a nice town. Gotta make a lot of moves to get there.

For those concerned about BF leaving he can always apply for the HC job once his dad retires, all with a vastly improved resume. Becoming a head coach at the D-1 level is almost like getting to be a manager of a Hy-Vee in a nice town. Gotta make a lot of moves to get there.

I can't speak for others, but for me it isn't about who is the next head coach. It is about keeping a very good assistant on staff, or even getting BF moved into the OC spot, as this is the only way that the Iowa offense even has a chance of changing.

I can't speak for others, but for me it isn't about who is the next head coach. It is about keeping a very good assistant on staff, or even getting BF moved into the OC spot, as this is the only way that the Iowa offense even has a chance of changing.

I agree with you about keeping a good assistant on staff. I wouldn't mind seeing him get a chance at OC; but I really like his fire, his youth is a big one for recruits, (IIRC) he really upped the social media push for Iowa, and his resume to this point is pretty good.
I also think he is good at developing the talent, and getting the players to perform better.

Latest posts