Brian Ferentz bolting to coach with O'brien for Houston Texans?

Maybe I'm not so far off base. When Gil Brandt of the NFL Network tweeted about the hire he referred to "Kirk Ferentz's son" and didn't actually use Brian Ferentz in his tweet. It's a good move by Brian to try And make his own name and Iowa will be fine without him. A bunch of sycophants on this board seem to have forgotten that Iowa was just fine before he arrived. Brian leaving does not doom this program.

Throw in the towel Kirby. You came into a knife fight and forgot to sharpen your blade. At least know what you're talking about or you're just gonna keep putting your foot in your mouth.

You didn't even know Brian was a position coach for the Patriots, yet you come into a discussion with your guns blazing about how he wasn't qualified to coach at this level. Now another NFL team wants him to be on their staff and you're still trying to justify that opinion. The guy is a damn good football coach. Just because his last name is Ferentz means very little, except the fact that he's been around football longer than 99% of humanity. Just give it up. Apparently you have an inherent bias that's blocking your ability to think clearly.

Last edited:
Throw in the towel Kirby. You came into a knife fight and forgot to sharpen your blade. At least know what you're talking about or you're just gonna keep putting your foot in your mouth.

You didn't even know Brian was a position coach for the Patriots, yet you come into a discussion with your guns blazing about how he wasn't qualified to coach at this level. Now another NFL team want him to be on their staff and you're still trying to justify that opinion. The guy is a damn good football coach. Just because his last name is Ferentz means very little, except the fact that he's been around football longer than 99% of humanity. Just give it up. Apparently you have an inherent bias that's blocking your ability to think clearly.
Shhh. He was digging a beautiful hole and you are throwing him a rope. I want to see how far he will dig.

Unless something changed over the last few days when this was originally reported, expect Brian to be here next season.

Twitter-verse always is true...right? I will await an official announcement before assuming anything on Brian.

Saw article on yahoo about cjf and it said Brian has been hired by Houston texans...has anything officially been announced one way or another?

Saw article on yahoo about cjf and it said Brian has been hired by Houston texans...has anything officially been announced one way or another?

Read that same article and it made me very curious as well. If you can't trust everything you read on line what is this world coming to?

Now this report came out yesterday from Eric Edholm from Yahoo! Sports Shutdown Corner,
His college head coach, Kirk Ferentz, coached in the league for six years. Ferentz’s son, Brian, was the Hawkeyes’ offensive line coach (also working with the tight ends) the past two years after four seasons with the New England Patriots, and he just accepted a position on Bill O’Brien’s staff with the Houston Texans.
Another O’Brien connection looks to be happening in Houston, and if this report holds true, the staff will be nearly complete for the upcoming season.

Now this report came out yesterday from Eric Edholm from Yahoo! Sports Shutdown Corner,
His college head coach, Kirk Ferentz, coached in the league for six years. Ferentz’s son, Brian, was the Hawkeyes’ offensive line coach (also working with the tight ends) the past two years after four seasons with the New England Patriots, and he just accepted a position on Bill O’Brien’s staff with the Houston Texans.
Another O’Brien connection looks to be happening in Houston, and if this report holds true, the staff will be nearly complete for the upcoming season.
I hope this is not true......IMO Brian was showing his worth as a recruiter......

My guess is that KF requested a delay in the announcement until after signing day, which is Wednesday. If Brian's been the main man on certain recruits, Iowa likely didn't want anything out about it until the LOIs are signed and in. I would wager money on joint news releases coming out of Iowa City and Houston by Friday, unless we're still waiting on some stud BF had been pursuing.

Would further bet that some other coach recruiting the same kid(s) leaked word of the hire in an attempt to turn some commits. Wonder if we lost anybody because of it?

Last edited:
I won't be surprised if this is true. It's a step up from coaching the Oline at Iowa and will gain him some valuable experience. If he has aspirations of ever being the head coach at Iowa, there is still plenty of time to do that since KF is there until 2020. I don't think the coaching on the OL will suffer as that's always one of our strengths. I do think recruiting may suffer a bit, though, as it seems like Brian is a good recruiter. If he leaves... I believe he'll be back.

My guess is that KF requested a delay in the announcement until after signing day, which is Wednesday. If Brian's been the main man on certain recruits, Iowa likely didn't want anything out about it until the LOIs are signed and in. I would wager money on joint news releases coming out of Iowa City and Houston by Friday, unless we're still waiting on some stud BF had been pursuing.

Would further bet that some other coach recruiting the same kid(s) leaked word of the hire in an attempt to turn some commits. Wonder if we lost anybody because of it?

I think you got it. Couldnt possibly be anything off on this idea.

Except maybe 4 day old news. Maybe recruiters for other teams can travel back in time and tell recruits to not pay attention to the news.

I think you got it. Couldnt possibly be anything off on this idea.

Except maybe 4 day old news. Maybe recruiters for other teams can travel back in time and tell recruits to not pay attention to the news.

Makes no sense.

Latest posts