Bohannon stats

Here’s the rub.

JBo is historically bad defensively, however he is very very good offensively. When you total the two items, what you get is a solid player.

One statistic to rank players is the Player Efficiency ratio (PER), where Bohannon comes in at 5th in the conference. He comes in behind Cassius Winston, Anthony Cowan, Tony Carr, and Nate Mason, a pretty good group.

I always find it funny when people say he needs to be able to beat his man off the dribble. The funny thing is if he could beat his man off the dribble, he would be close to Trae Young good offensively. Again, offense isn’t Jbo’s issue, the only PG that ranks above him in Orate in the B1G is Cassius Winston.

The great thing for Iowa fans is that his defense is so bad right now, he can improve in that regard. He will never be a plus defender, but if he can get somewhere near average on that end, he will be in really good shape.

Currently ranked the 5th best PG in the conference, Nate Mason set to graduate, and Tony Carr potentially going pro, if JBo continues to improve I think we are looking at a All-conference level PG for the next two seasons, so let’s enjoy it.

Carson Edwards would be a pretty notable player missing from this list.

Carson Edwards would be a pretty notable player missing from this list.
Carsen Edwards plays SG for Purdue. His assist to turnover isn’t even above 2. His ORate is slightly below Jbo’s. He is a better player for sure, maybe not better PG.

Carsen Edwards plays SG for Purdue. His assist to turnover isn’t even above 2. His ORate is slightly below Jbo’s. He is a better player for sure, maybe not better PG.

OK well then Mathias is the point guard then and leads the team in assists and he has a better PER than Jordan.

PJ Thomas is 5th on the team in assists and 1.7 per game. His assist to turnover isn’t even above 2.
Cool story, but he’s still Purdue’s PG.

Did you know Bronson Koenig was 3rd on UW in assists behind Happ and Hayes last year... that doesn’t mean he wasn’t their PG.

Did you know Bronson Koenig was 3rd on UW in assists behind Happ and Hayes last year... that doesn’t mean he wasn’t their PG.

Edwards isn't a point guard because of his assist to turnover ratio but Thompson is despite his assist to turnover ratio. Haha!

Did Koenig only average 1.7 assists per game last year?

Edwards isn't a point guard because of his assist to turnover ratio but Thompson is despite his assist to turnover ratio. Haha!

Did Koenig only average 1.7 assists per game last year?
Hahaha. Troll man you are a moron.

Edwards isn’t the point guard and P.J. Thompson is simply because I watch a lot of Purdue and know this. The guy who comes in and takes over PG duties often is actually 6’6 freshman Nojel Eastern, who only has a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio. More than one way to skin a cat as they say.

I’m glad you agree with my original post about JBo being a solid player and the 5th best PG in the league.

Because Iowa sucked. The top 3 teams....Michigan State, Purdue, Ohio state...had 8 of the 15 players named to the all big ten teams. 13 of the 15 players who got named to the all big ten teams played for teams that finished in the top half of the conference standings. The 2 exceptions were Ethan Happ and Jordan Murphy who had monster seasons.

The voting is heavily influence by wins....it always is
Anthony Cowan made it - Maryland sucked.
Leron Black made it - Illinois sucked.
Kevin Huerter - Maryland.
Nate Mason - Minnesota.
Tyler Cook made it and he plays for Iowa.
Your theory isn't backed up by facts, in this case.

I'm going to get destoyed for this ( @MelroseHawkins -- I love you man; I don't mean anything by it ;) ), but he's by far the worst defender on the worst defensive team of all the Power 5 + Big East squads. That, coupled with being a non-threat to the hole is why he doesn't get the love that his stats would suggest. And it's valid in my opinion. I mean come on...we're 3rd in scoring but still in the bottom of the toilet bowl with Rutgers and Illinois. Why? because we're last in defense by a loooooooooong ways.

Iowa is 304th out of 351 D1 teams in defensive efficiency. That is dumbfoundingly bad. No other team in the 6 major conferences even comes close. Jordan being the weak link on an already horrific defense is not meaningless, and it has effects on his overall game. Say if due to weak play he gives up a net 6 or 8 points a game more than the next 5 best point guards, that in effect neutralizes a lot of his positive impact on games.

Guys, I know he's one of the greatest Iowa shooters of all time and a great kid, but you can't deny--especially in the super physical game of basketball today--that defense is just as paramount as offense and that to be considered well rounded a point guard has to be able to drive the ball. He's just too easy to defend which we saw against the better B1G teams, and he gives up way too many points on the other end. And everyone needs to stop with the excuses of shitty teammates and coaching. You could twist it around and use that excuse for just about anyone depending on the stats you're looking at. There are several parts of his game that are sorely lacking but get overshadowed by his 28' threes that he cans all the time.
Gives up 6 or 8 points? That's being very generous.

Here’s the rub.

JBo is historically bad defensively, however he is very very good offensively. When you total the two items, what you get is a solid player.

One statistic to rank players is the Player Efficiency ratio (PER), where Bohannon comes in at 5th in the conference. He comes in behind Cassius Winston, Anthony Cowan, Tony Carr, and Nate Mason, a pretty good group.

I always find it funny when people say he needs to be able to beat his man off the dribble. The funny thing is if he could beat his man off the dribble, he would be close to Trae Young good offensively. Again, offense isn’t Jbo’s issue, the only PG that ranks above him in Orate in the B1G is Cassius Winston.

The great thing for Iowa fans is that his defense is so bad right now, he can improve in that regard. He will never be a plus defender, but if he can get somewhere near average on that end, he will be in really good shape.

Currently ranked the 5th best PG in the conference, Nate Mason set to graduate, and Tony Carr potentially going pro, if JBo continues to improve I think we are looking at a All-conference level PG for the next two seasons, so let’s enjoy it.
According to box +/-, he's the 4th best player on our team.
Baer = +7
Garza = +6.4
Nunge = +4.9
Bohannon = +3.5
Kriener = +3.2
Cook = +3
Pemsl = +2.1
Moss = +1.2

According to box +/-, he's the 4th best player on our team.
Baer = +7
Garza = +6.4
Nunge = +4.9
Bohannon = +3.5
Kriener = +3.2
Cook = +3
Pemsl = +2.1
Moss = +1.2
Correct. I listed many advanced stats in a thread I started last week. PER seems to be the best, unless of course you think Cook was our 6th best player?

I don't think Jordan is going to be a 3rd year seasoned B1G veteran in October ;)

Gosh you are insufferable.

They start practice in October at the very least and it will be his 3rd season. Seems close enough for me. I mean it was an off the cuff comment, but lord knows we can't have any of that around here. Nope we have a few 2 bit internet forum hacks, proudly up holding the factual integrity of random conversation.

I tend to value defense, so I'm not sure we have any "best players" on this team.
You may want to look up the definition of best. Even the worst team in basketball this year has a best player.

But that’s kind of beside the point. The PER stat thinks JBo is a pretty good player, even given his horrendous defense, I tend to agree. Some people may disagree and that’s okay too.

You may want to look up the definition of best. Even the worst team in basketball this year has a best player.

But that’s kind of beside the point. The PER stat thinks JBo is a pretty good player, even given his horrendous defense, I tend to agree. Some people may disagree and that’s okay too.
I have no idea how they give him a positive box score, honestly. He gives up at least as many points as he scores. He couldn't play for me. I'd lose my hair coaching a guard that plays defense like that.

Anthony Cowan made it - Maryland sucked.
Leron Black made it - Illinois sucked.
Kevin Huerter - Maryland.
Nate Mason - Minnesota.
Tyler Cook made it and he plays for Iowa.
Your theory isn't backed up by facts, in this case.

In the coach's All Big 10 teams, Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa all had just one player in the First Team, Second Team, Third Team and Honorable Mention. Northwestern and Rutgers had none. Of the rest of the teams, only Maryland (who had 2 on those teams) had a losing record. Every other team had at least a .500 record. So yeah, I'd say it's about winning. But in order to win, you need good players who can make the All Big 10 teams.

In the coach's All Big 10 teams, Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa all had just one player in the First Team, Second Team, Third Team and Honorable Mention. Northwestern and Rutgers had none. Of the rest of the teams, only Maryland (who had 2 on those teams) had a losing record. Every other team had at least a .500 record. So yeah, I'd say it's about winning. But in order to win, you need good players who can make the All Big 10 teams.
You can't win without defense. So...yeah, I can see why Bohannon didn't make any of those teams. Cowan made 3rd team and the only real difference between Cowan and Bohannon's stats were 2 ppg scoring (Cowan) and defense.

Last edited:

Whoever has the most assists is the point guard.

Suddenly I’m having a deja vu moment with Cy56 having this same conversation with dean last year.