Bohannon stats

I had a mild case of PF a few years ago. For several weeks I could only run courses that were straight out and straight back. Left and right turns were painful. I had a 5k coming up that I was running with my niece and wasn't missing it so rest wasn't an option. I know how painful the mild case was. If JBo's was worse even at his age I can't begin to understand how he was playing basketball on it.

I still like to run several 5 and 10 k's a year. One of my favorites used to be the River Run in April in Iowa City. Any runners out there who would like to share their stories/injuries?

I used to run in college and there were several people on my team who got plantar fasciitis. I ended up getting it after college and some mornings felt like I couldn't put any weight on it. So I went to the doctor and he told me I should give up running and pick a different sport. HA HA fat chance. After consulting other medical professionals and some of my old teammates, I took some time off, switched shoes, came up with a preventative regimen, and now after some time off, have zero problems with it.

The solution for dealing with it in season when preparing for big meets or hard workouts was always to warm it up and rub it out with a golf ball. I can't personally speak to the efficacy of those techniques, but they were able to compete at about 80-90% when pushing through the pain. For a skill sport like basketball, I'd imagine that it's quite tough to deal with, but not impossible. I could definitely see it throwing off your shot or preventing you from pushing off in the way that you'd like to.

He's a SO and he averaged 13.5 ppg and 5.4 apg. Why do you think he didn't get any recognition from BIG coaches? Out of curiosity. That's good enough for 7th or 8th in ppg for all BIG guards and it's good enough to put him in 2nd place for assists in the BIG.

I'd love to know his answer to this as well.

You can't honestly point to 6 guards in the BIG that have better offensive stats than Bohannon. What are the coaches using in their metrics for all conference recognition, if not ppg and assist/turnover ratio?

Bohannon is a shooting wiz kid. He needs to continue to work on his dribble and pro hop to get himself more space to get his shot off. That is really all that is lacking from his offensive game that is achievable. He is never going to be a hard first step blow by PG so I don't waste time wishing for that.

The kid is young and I mean very young. He will be a 3rd year seasoned B1G veteran next year all before he can even legally drink. I think we all have a tendency to wrap people up in boxes based on current visual input. In Bohannon's case we all need to slow down and realize that he is clearly still maturing physically. He looks alot more like a man in the face this year than the young boy we saw last year. He will look more like a man next year still. I for one am excited to see what Bohannon can do once he actually gets his adult body. He could be scary good.

The kid is young and I mean very young. He will be a 3rd year seasoned B1G veteran next year all before he can even legally drink. I think we all have a tendency to wrap people up in boxes based on current visual input. In Bohannon's case we all need to slow down and realize that he is clearly still maturing physically. He looks alot more like a man in the face this year than the young boy we saw last year. He will look more like a man next year still. I for one am excited to see what Bohannon can do once he actually gets his adult body. He could be scary good.

Jordan will be 21 in June of this year.

Hahaha of all the things I've seen you nitpick about Bohannon, this is probably the funniest.

I'm not nitpicking anything I was correcting the poster who said Jordan was very young and would be a 3rd year seasoned B1G veteran next year all before he can even legally drink which is incorrect.

He's a SO and he averaged 13.5 ppg and 5.4 apg. Why do you think he didn't get any recognition from BIG coaches? Out of curiosity. That's good enough for 7th or 8th in ppg for all BIG guards and it's good enough to put him in 2nd place for assists in the BIG.

Because Iowa sucked. The top 3 teams....Michigan State, Purdue, Ohio state...had 8 of the 15 players named to the all big ten teams. 13 of the 15 players who got named to the all big ten teams played for teams that finished in the top half of the conference standings. The 2 exceptions were Ethan Happ and Jordan Murphy who had monster seasons.

The voting is heavily influence by wins....it always is

I'm going to get destoyed for this ( @MelroseHawkins -- I love you man; I don't mean anything by it ;) ), but he's by far the worst defender on the worst defensive team of all the Power 5 + Big East squads. That, coupled with being a non-threat to the hole is why he doesn't get the love that his stats would suggest. And it's valid in my opinion. I mean come on...we're 3rd in scoring but still in the bottom of the toilet bowl with Rutgers and Illinois. Why? because we're last in defense by a loooooooooong ways.

Iowa is 304th out of 351 D1 teams in defensive efficiency. That is dumbfoundingly bad. No other team in the 6 major conferences even comes close. Jordan being the weak link on an already horrific defense is not meaningless, and it has effects on his overall game. Say if due to weak play he gives up a net 6 or 8 points a game more than the next 5 best point guards, that in effect neutralizes a lot of his positive impact on games.

Guys, I know he's one of the greatest Iowa shooters of all time and a great kid, but you can't deny--especially in the super physical game of basketball today--that defense is just as paramount as offense and that to be considered well rounded a point guard has to be able to drive the ball. He's just too easy to defend which we saw against the better B1G teams, and he gives up way too many points on the other end. And everyone needs to stop with the excuses of shitty teammates and coaching. You could twist it around and use that excuse for just about anyone depending on the stats you're looking at. There are several parts of his game that are sorely lacking but get overshadowed by his 28' threes that he cans all the time.

Because Iowa sucked. The top 3 teams....Michigan State, Purdue, Ohio state...had 8 of the 15 players named to the all big ten teams. 13 of the 15 players who got named to the all big ten teams played for teams that finished in the top half of the conference standings. The 2 exceptions were Ethan Happ and Jordan Murphy who had monster seasons.

The voting is heavily influence by wins....it always is

Cook got recognition from B1G coaches though.

You can't honestly point to 6 guards in the BIG that have better offensive stats than Bohannon. What are the coaches using in their metrics for all conference recognition, if not ppg and assist/turnover ratio?
Defense?

I used to run in college and there were several people on my team who got plantar fasciitis. I ended up getting it after college and some mornings felt like I couldn't put any weight on it. So I went to the doctor and he told me I should give up running and pick a different sport. HA HA fat chance. After consulting other medical professionals and some of my old teammates, I took some time off, switched shoes, came up with a preventative regimen, and now after some time off, have zero problems with it.

The solution for dealing with it in season when preparing for big meets or hard workouts was always to warm it up and rub it out with a golf ball. I can't personally speak to the efficacy of those techniques, but they were able to compete at about 80-90% when pushing through the pain. For a skill sport like basketball, I'd imagine that it's quite tough to deal with, but not impossible. I could definitely see it throwing off your shot or preventing you from pushing off in the way that you'd like to.
Ah yes the golf ball. And the rolling pin. My oldest son, who was a 245 lb high school defensive lineman at the time, used to stick his thumb into my calf while pronating my big toe as close to my shin as possible. It was, as we call in sports, the good hurt. But he would remove huge knots from my calf.

I know serious runners who have shoes for different distances, different surfaces, different terrains, etc. When I accrued the plantar fasciitis I was trying to squeeze a few more miles out of my shoes. I should have known better. I learned my lesson.

I don't think Jordan is going to be a 3rd year seasoned B1G veteran in October ;)

yeah - 2 year vet... but

The entire list of Division I players with 150+ assists and 80+ three-pointers as a freshman and as a sophomore over the last 25 years: Jordan Bohannon. He could lay down on the court and do the worm while on defense and still be one of the best PG's in the country.

yeah - 2 year vet... but

The entire list of Division I players with 150+ assists and 80+ three-pointers as a freshman and as a sophomore over the last 25 years: Jordan Bohannon. He could lay down on the court and do the worm while on defense and still be one of the best PG's in the country.

B1G coaches disagree considering they don't think he's even one of the best guards in the conference.

Here’s the rub.

JBo is historically bad defensively, however he is very very good offensively. When you total the two items, what you get is a solid player.

One statistic to rank players is the Player Efficiency ratio (PER), where Bohannon comes in at 5th in the conference. He comes in behind Cassius Winston, Anthony Cowan, Tony Carr, and Nate Mason, a pretty good group.

I always find it funny when people say he needs to be able to beat his man off the dribble. The funny thing is if he could beat his man off the dribble, he would be close to Trae Young good offensively. Again, offense isn’t Jbo’s issue, the only PG that ranks above him in Orate in the B1G is Cassius Winston.

The great thing for Iowa fans is that his defense is so bad right now, he can improve in that regard. He will never be a plus defender, but if he can get somewhere near average on that end, he will be in really good shape.

Currently ranked the 5th best PG in the conference, Nate Mason set to graduate, and Tony Carr potentially going pro, if JBo continues to improve I think we are looking at a All-conference level PG for the next two seasons, so let’s enjoy it.