Bohannon stats

Since nobody responded I'm hoping this means this won't happen.

I haven't heard it, that would be horrible. I would imagine no one takes the season they had to heart more then Jordan and considering he turned into the poster child and whipping boy by Iowa's fan base as being the main cause, I would be shocked if the thought of transferring didn't at least cross his mind.

Small sample size is the problem. Nothing we saw this year would make me concerned that he's a bad basketball player. But, like everyone, he'll have to consistently prove himself on both sides of the ball before we can take it for granted. I just wanted to speculate on what would happen if everyone had a best case scenario. Connor's best case scenario has a much higher potential defensively than Bohannon. Baer would need to return to form, Weiskamp would have to be the real deal, Nunge would have to make HUGE strides on both sides of the ball, and Garza...well, he could just be Garza.

Edit: that leaves out why I think Nunge could be better than Cook. IMO, it comes down to the addition of 3 point shooting for floor spacing and similar rebounding/shot blocking potential.
The difference is I never put much stock into Connor being a big contributor at this level. Yes the sample size is small. I would say that in his only game against a P5 opponent (Colorado), he had 3 turnovers in 12 minutes.

I do agree with your take on Nunge. He completely changes the game on both ends when he plays the 4. On offense he spreads the floor and gives Garza or Cook for that matter room then to operate on the block. On defense his length and foot speed will make him excel at guarding 4s and also allow him to cover for other guys mistakes. I said in another thread I expect him to be our best defensive player next year, but if Fran continue to hamstring him by playing him at the 3, that might not be the case.

That's the best starting 5 we could put on the floor, IMO. But it's still not good enough to make an 8 to 10 game difference in one season. That's a big leap. Nebraska made a 10 game leap from last season and it still wasn't good enough to get an NCAA invite.
I expect us to make a 6 to 8 game leap next season. That means our 9-4 OOC record (this season) gets to 11-2 and if we win 5 more games in the BIG conference, that's a 7 game improvement from this season. That's good enough to get us to 20 wins but not good enough to get us an NCAA invite. For us to make the NCAA tourney field, we'd have to go 12-1 in the OOC and 11-7 in conference - with some wins against top 25 teams. That's a hell of a leap for the worst P5 defensive team in the land.

This is quite frankly impossible to know right now. If Iowa is 23-8 I'd bet good money they'd be in the tourney.

Anthony Cowan made it - Maryland sucked.
Leron Black made it - Illinois sucked.
Kevin Huerter - Maryland.
Nate Mason - Minnesota.
Tyler Cook made it and he plays for Iowa.
Your theory isn't backed up by facts, in this case.

Isnt backed up by facts? What fact did I produce that wasn't accurate? I said the all big ten teams are heavily influenced by wins and presented a ton of stats that back that up. Did I say that YOU CANT MAKE THE ALL BIG TEN TEAM IF YOU DONT WIN? I did not say anything close to that. I said almost all players that made the 1st-3rd teams finished in the top half of the big ten....that was a fact.

Please note that being named "honorable mention" doesn't mean you were named to an all big ten team.

Anthony Cowan made it - Maryland sucked.
Leron Black made it - Illinois sucked.
Kevin Huerter - Maryland.
Nate Mason - Minnesota.
Tyler Cook made it and he plays for Iowa.
Your theory isn't backed up by facts, in this case.

How about this fact. Last year Nate Mason was 1st team all big ten. This year he was an honorable mention. Last year he averaged 15 points and 5 assists. This year he averaged 17 points and 4 assists.

What was the difference? I'll give you a hint: Last year Minnesota was 24-9 and a 5 seed in the NCAA tournament. This year they were 4-14 in the Big Ten.

The difference is I never put much stock into Connor being a big contributor at this level. Yes the sample size is small. I would say that in his only game against a P5 opponent (Colorado), he had 3 turnovers in 12 minutes.

I do agree with your take on Nunge. He completely changes the game on both ends when he plays the 4. On offense he spreads the floor and gives Garza or Cook for that matter room then to operate on the block. On defense his length and foot speed will make him excel at guarding 4s and also allow him to cover for other guys mistakes. I said in another thread I expect him to be our best defensive player next year, but if Fran continue to hamstring him by playing him at the 3, that might not be the case.

His first sequence in that game being assist, layup and 1, steal with 3 turnovers occurring later. That may or may not have anything to do with the fact that he was literally in the hospital for surgery resulting from mono a week later. I do fully acknowledge how silly it is to try to parse apart 12 minutes and that 3 turnovers is way too high in that amount of time. I'm just not willing to throw in the towel on an ESPN top 100 PG yet. I will still allow his recruiting ranking, frame, and pedigree to give me hope for his future.

On Nunge playing the 3: I might scream if it happens again next year. Which means I'll probably be screaming. He's fast for a PF/Center which he has the size and athleticism to play at a very high level. But putting him at the 3 largely mitigates those advantages unless he's going to take a guy off the dribble to the rim. He could do it, but it's not his strong point. My only hope is that Fran knows this and was using him at the 3 to force him to develop that part of his game.

How about this fact. Last year Nate Mason was 1st team all big ten. This year he was an honorable mention. Last year he averaged 15 points and 5 assists. This year he averaged 17 points and 4 assists.

What was the difference? I'll give you a hint: Last year Minnesota was 24-9 and a 5 seed in the NCAA tournament. This year they were 4-14 in the Big Ten.

He has one objective on here, to trash the UofI basketball program and players and douse anything positive gleaned by Iowa fans. It was like that when Iowa was going to the NCAA tournament. Right now, it's feeding time. Trashing Iowa players and coaches is his business and business is good. As long as we all recognize that fact, you should be ok. He will throw out a back handed compliment from time to time, to make it appear like he's an Iowa supporter. He literally bet against Iowa making the tournament next year. If you are an Iowa "fan" like a lot of us are, that's like taking bets with your neighbor that your kid can't ride a bike knowing ahead of time he's never been on one. Sure it's a good bet that you'll win, but you're a horrible dad either way. Hard to call that much of a "fan". As long as you know what you're dealing with - we can all co exist. Personally I heart Lightning1

That's a pretty good fact.

January 2022, Cordell Pemsl bobblehead night. DJ Carton goes 3-11 from the line and commits nine turnovers. Xavier Foster lets a crucial rebound slip through his hands. Purdue converts and wins 61-60. Team shoots 31% from the floor. Post game comments on this thread.

"Damn I wish we had consistent point guard play. Bohannan would have hit those free throws easy. He would have taken better care of the ball."

Cordell would have grabbed that rebound. Game over. That guy owned the paint."

" Remember those days when we could fly up and down the floor and hang 90 on anyone. The league didn't have a prayer against Tyler Cook"

Weiscamp had some hot shooting games his freshman year but he has regressed. He just doesn't make the husttle plays that Baer made on a nightly basis"

Wagner used to make them too. And Garza. He could block out the sun. When he got his hands on a rebound it was over. God I miss those days."

"Remember the night Isiah Moss scored seventeen in a minute in a half. When he was on a hot streak he could fill it up like Kingsbury."

"What's the latest on that eleven year old from Cedar Rapids that will be attending McKinley middle School soon. I heard Cuonzo Martin paid a visit to one of his Youth Sports League games. Supposedly his can blow by ninth graders and is already touching the rim. Why isn't Fran taking a look at him? Doesn't he ever realize a good point guard when he sees him?"

Last edited:
I've used this example a million times: One of my favorite ISU players finished with 1,651 points, 448 assists, 524 rebounds, and 200 steals. He did it all in 3 years. These numbers would put him in the top 10 in the Iowa record books in several categories. Is he one of the best players to ever suit up for ISU? Do people remember him fondly?

No, it's Curtis Stinson, probably few if any people's favorite player and somebody who will likely be forgotten other than a few highlights.

You can amass stats, and that's great, but you better win games, and a lot of them, if you ever want to be considered an all-timer.

His first sequence in that game being assist, layup and 1, steal with 3 turnovers occurring later. That may or may not have anything to do with the fact that he was literally in the hospital for surgery resulting from mono a week later. I do fully acknowledge how silly it is to try to parse apart 12 minutes and that 3 turnovers is way too high in that amount of time. I'm just not willing to throw in the towel on an ESPN top 100 PG yet. I will still allow his recruiting ranking, frame, and pedigree to give me hope for his future.

On Nunge playing the 3: I might scream if it happens again next year. Which means I'll probably be screaming. He's fast for a PF/Center which he has the size and athleticism to play at a very high level. But putting him at the 3 largely mitigates those advantages unless he's going to take a guy off the dribble to the rim. He could do it, but it's not his strong point. My only hope is that Fran knows this and was using him at the 3 to force him to develop that part of his game.
His frame. That’s part of the reason I just don’t see it with him. I don’t recall of a player that size, athleticism, and size ever being a quality PG at this level. To me he is considered a PG because he can’t shoot or score well enough to play the 2 or the 3. Don’t get me started on recruiting rankings, especially from ESPN.

The decision to try to play Nunge and Wagner at the 3 was probably one of the worst decisions Fran has made in his tenure, but I’m still not convinced he will change it.

I've used this example a million times: One of my favorite ISU players finished with 1,651 points, 448 assists, 524 rebounds, and 200 steals. He did it all in 3 years. These numbers would put him in the top 10 in the Iowa record books in several categories. Is he one of the best players to ever suit up for ISU? Do people remember him fondly?

No, it's Curtis Stinson, probably few if any people's favorite player and somebody who will likely be forgotten other than a few highlights.

You can amass stats, and that's great, but you better win games, and a lot of them, if you ever want to be considered an all-timer.

That's a really good example since I completely forgot about that dude.

I always think of Tim Frazier. That dude had a couple monster seasons, but got skipped over because their team was terrible. Frazier's junior season he had better numbers than Monte Morris' senior year, and Frazier still couldn't get 1st team all big ten because they only won 4 big ten games.

That's a really good example since I completely forgot about that dude.

I always think of Tim Frazier. That dude had a couple monster seasons, but got skipped over because their team was terrible. Frazier's junior season he had better numbers than Monte Morris' senior year, and Frazier still couldn't get 1st team all big ten because they only won 4 big ten games.

Frazier is a really good example. However, Stinson had more points, steals, and rebounds than him in only 3 seasons. If he would have stayed another year he probably would have had 2000+ points, 600+ assists and rebounds, and at least 250 steals. Those are absolutely unreal numbers... and essentially nobody cares.

I agree with both of you- winning is what makes a legend and Jordan may still do that. But either way it's hard to ignore the #1 guy at the top of the lists. Is Stinson and Frazier # 1 on ISU's list in anything? I bet if they were ya wouldn't forget about em.

Frazier is a really good example. However, Stinson had more points, steals, and rebounds than him in only 3 seasons. If he would have stayed another year he probably would have had 2000+ points, 600+ assists and rebounds, and at least 250 steals. Those are absolutely unreal numbers... and essentially nobody cares.

Stinson had his jersey retired ... by the Iowa Energy.

http://iowa.gleague.nba.com/news/energy-retire-curtis-stinsons-jersey/

Stinson ranks 12th in career points (1,651) 8th in assists (448) and 4st in steals (200) in Iowa State men’s basketball history and led the Cyclones to the second round of the NCAA Tournament in 2005.

I agree with both of you- winning is what makes a legend and Jordan may still do that. But either way it's hard to ignore the #1 guy at the top of the lists. Is Stinson and Frazier # 1 on ISU's list in anything? I bet if they were ya wouldn't forget about em.

I think its up in the air for Jordan still. Just look at Jeff Horner. He's currently Iowa's all time leader in assists and 3 pointers made, but nobody considers him a legend or all-time great since his teams never really did much. 2 first round exits from the NCAA including the Northwestern State game that shall not be named

Woolridge is remembered fondly and they never did much either. I would say Horner is remembered well. McCausland is remembered well.

Does it really matter if you finish 3rd in conference or 8th? 1st round exit or 2nd round exit. When you think about it, no team has won enough over the last 30 years to really matter.

Woolridge is remembered fondly and they never did much either. I would say Horner is remembered well. McCausland is remembered well.

Does it really matter if you finish 3rd in conference or 8th? 1st round exit or 2nd round exit. When you think about it, no team has won enough over the last 30 years to really matter.

True, but Woolridge had a monster senior season and his assist numbers were always nuts. I'll always remember Woolridge fondly because of how dominant he was. We haven't seen a PG like him at Iowa ever since.

Woolridge would own the assist record at Iowa by a mile if he didn't waste a season at FBR.

Best Woolridge story ever. I was a junior in HS his Jr year and my brother took me to one of my first ever Iowa hoop games. After the game as Andre was walking in the tunnel, I yelled out to him "Andre, I'm from Omaha". He stopped, came back - we rapped for a few and then he took me and my brother back to locker room where we got to hang out, meet Tom Davis, Jess Settles, Ryan Bowen, Chris Kingsbury among others and also see Street's glassed in locker. Got pictures, autographs and we were told to stay as long as we'd like. Ya'll wonder why I grew up to be kind of a homer :)

Latest posts