Bohannon stats

I'll dumb it down a little for you too. Wouldn't Jordan have to play lock down defense for Iowa to finish 33-0? No defense = no undefeated season. No defense = no league recognition. See how that works?
To put it simply, Jordan plays good defense and he makes one of those teams. The end.

Well if we had one awesome rim protector, it could have masked his bad defense and we could have won more conference games, which would have given him a better chance to make a team, even tho he's the same player.

Well if we had one awesome rim protector, it could have masked his bad defense and we could have won more conference games, which would have given him a better chance to make a team, even tho he's the same player.
Even Troy Skinner knew that if you can't stay in front of your man ( and he usually couldn't) it's always better to lose him on the side where Mr. Acie Earl was waiting.

No, it wouldn't. That "one awesome rim protector" would have fouled out in every game. Nobody can mask defense that bad.

I have to agree with you Lightning. Even Earl would have had trouble covering for this bunch. It's weird. Everyone in the league challenged him because they knew he was half a step slow on lateral quickness and most would trudge back up the court shaking their heads. It's like in baseball where everyone in the league knew that Tom Glavine wouldn't give in when he fell behind in the count, yet they would keep trying to jerk that outside changeup over the Leinie Lodge and usually end up hitting a weak ground ball to left side. And then mutter their way all the way back to dugout about the umpire giving Glavine a generous outside corner. In football everyone knew that Favre would play better and focus more if he had a burr under his saddle, yet Warren Sapp and the rest of those trash talking Tampa Bay defensive linemen would keep engaging him.

Last edited:
I have to agree with you Lightning. Even Earl would have had trouble covering for this bunch. It's weird. Everyone in the league challenged him because they knew he was half a step slow on lateral quickness and most would trudge back up the court shaking their heads. It's like in baseball where everyone in the league knew that Tom Glavine wouldn't give in when he fell behind in the count, yet they would keep trying to jerk that outside changeup over the Leinie Lodge and usually end up hitting a weak ground ball to left side. And then mutter their way all the way back to dugout about the umpire giving Glavine a generous outside corner.
People are still stuck with this idea that Garza/Cook's only job is to camp out under the basket and block the shots of all the guards that come parading through. It's laughable.

People are still stuck with this idea that Garza/Cook's only job is to camp out under the basket and block the shots of all the guards that come parading through. It's laughable.
Well it's not their only job by any means but they are the last line of defense when it comes to anyone not just PGs penetrating to the rim. We gave up way too many easy points at the rim and in the paint this year. Way way too many. It's not the big guys fault any more or less then the guard that let their guy get around them to begin with is but it's all apart of it.
BTW Earl really benefited by the era in which he played. He'd really really struggle in todays up and down game I think. He had good ball skills inside 17 ft or so on offense but I don't think he'd have been the same defender now as he was then. He'd struggle defending pick and rolls against quicker guys too... Just a different game now in a lot of ways

Side story on Acie Earl. I don't know exactly what he did in his spare time but a lot of it was spent exploring, shall we say, the B side of Iowa City. Davis suspended him for six games the same week Ray Thompson and Brian Garner were declared academically ineligible and was considering dismissing him from the team. He had more issues the next year showing up late, etc. Winters actually started for him at the end of the 1990-91 season. If Earl could get into trouble in Iowa City you can imagine the temptations of the NBA. It's little wonder he was out of the league within three years.

His escapades didn't end there, either. He was running a youth camp in Dubuque in the late 1990's. He couldn't make a 1:30 session to his own camp. Kenyon Murray tried to cover for him saying he had car trouble. East Dubuque is just across the river. You can do the math as to what really happened.

Well it's not their only job by any means but they are the last line of defense when it comes to anyone not just PGs penetrating to the rim. We gave up way too many easy points at the rim and in the paint this year. Way way too many. It's not the big guys fault any more or less then the guard that let their guy get around them to begin with is but it's all apart of it.
BTW Earl really benefited by the era in which he played. He'd really really struggle in todays up and down game I think. He had good ball skills inside 17 ft or so on offense but I don't think he'd have been the same defender now as he was then. He'd struggle defending pick and rolls against quicker guys too... Just a different game now in a lot of ways
The PFs and Centers are more comfortable playing away from the rim, in today's game. They play between the high post and the 3 pt line as often as not. That fact alone dictates that the 4/5s on the defense, have to defend them away from the basket. Too many top 25 teams have multiple 3 pt shooting threats, these days. They spread you out and force you away from the basket. Look at the top teams in the BIG. They all have 4/5s that can shoot from 3 pt range. Cook or Garza have to guard these guys all the way out to the 3pt line.
MSU - Jackson Jr - 6'11
OSU - Bates-Diop - 6'7
Michigan - Wagner - 6'11
Purdue - Edwards - 6'8
Nebraska - Copeland - 6'9

Side story on Acie Earl. I don't know exactly what he did in his spare time but a lot of it was spent exploring, shall we say, the B side of Iowa City. Davis suspended him for six games the same week Ray Thompson and Brian Garner were declared academically ineligible and was considering dismissing him from the team. He had more issues the next year showing up late, etc. Winters actually started for him at the end of the 1990-91 season. If Earl could get into trouble in Iowa City you can imagine the temptations of the NBA. It's little wonder he was out of the league within three years.

His escapades didn't end there, either. He was running a youth camp in Dubuque in the late 1990's. He couldn't make a 1:30 session to his own camp. Kenyon Murray tried to cover for him saying he had car trouble. East Dubuque is just across the river. You can do the math as to what really happened.
Marijuana use was rampant on Tom's teams. I know this for a fact. I'm not saying it was an issue with Tom Davis. I'm sure it continued after TD departed. As a former athlete, I never understood it. Especially in an endurance sport like basketball. For all of the "NBA dreams" these players always had, you'd think they'd take their training more seriously.

Marijuana use was rampant on Tom's teams. I know this for a fact. I'm not saying it was an issue with Tom Davis. I'm sure it continued after TD departed. As a former athlete, I never understood it. Especially in an endurance sport like basketball. For all of the "NBA dreams" these players always had, you'd think they'd take their training more seriously.
Possibly other recreational substances too. They didn't call him "Snortin Eddie Horton" for nothing. I can remember students at the old Wisconsin Field House chanting "Just Say No" when Roy Marble was on the free throw line.

To this day when I run 5 k's I'll see someone blow past me in the first mile, but they sometimes have a major issue: they're eyes are bloodshot. I'll tell myself "See you again, Lush." A fair amount of times, I do. Endurance sports and substances don't mix. Steve Prefontaine was known to tie one on-after he ran his race.

Last edited:
Possibly other recreational substances too. They didn't call him "Snortin Eddie Horton" for nothing. I can remember students at the old Wisconsin Field House chanting "Just Say No" when Roy Marble was on the free throw line.
If you play basketball high on cocaine, you'll play harder and faster. You could possibly die from a heart attack too. But marijuana slows you down. The smoking can't help your lung capacity either.

The PFs and Centers are more comfortable playing away from the rim, in today's game. They play between the high post and the 3 pt line as often as not. That fact alone dictates that the 4/5s on the defense, have to defend them away from the basket. Too many top 25 teams have multiple 3 pt shooting threats, these days. They spread you out and force you away from the basket. Look at the top teams in the BIG. They all have 4/5s that can shoot from 3 pt range. Cook or Garza have to guard these guys all the way out to the 3pt line.
MSU - Jackson Jr - 6'11
OSU - Bates-Diop - 6'7
Michigan - Wagner - 6'11
Purdue - Edwards - 6'8
Nebraska - Copeland - 6'9
Agreed. There were others too:

Lamarr Stevens at PSU
Duncan Robinson played a lot of minutes at 4 for Michigan as well
Maryland basically started 4 guards

Meanwhile Iowa was playing glorified 5 men at the 3 position. It doesn’t make sense.

I really liked Iowa’s starting 5 with Nunge at the 4 and Cook at the 5. Problem was Garza was too good to keep off the floor. If I were coaching Iowa, Garza and Cook would play all the minutes at the 5, and Nunge and Baer would play the majority of them at the 4. It sucks for Kriener and Pemsl, who I think are good enough to play at this level, I just don’t think they deserve to play on this particular team.

Next year I’d play it like this:

3- Weiskamp 25 / Baer 15
4- Cook 10 / Nunge 20 / Baer 10
5- Garza 25 / Cook 15

Agreed. There were others too:

Lamarr Stevens at PSU
Duncan Robinson played a lot of minutes at 4 for Michigan as well
Maryland basically started 4 guards

Meanwhile Iowa was playing glorified 5 men at the 3 position. It doesn’t make sense.

I really liked Iowa’s starting 5 with Nunge at the 4 and Cook at the 5. Problem was Garza was too good to keep off the floor. If I were coaching Iowa, Garza and Cook would play all the minutes at the 5, and Nunge and Baer would play the majority of them at the 4. It sucks for Kriener and Pemsl, who I think are good enough to play at this level, I just don’t think they deserve to play on this particular team.

Next year I’d play it like this:

3- Weiskamp 25 / Baer 15
4- Cook 10 / Nunge 20 / Baer 10
5- Garza 25 / Cook 15
Cook at the 5 might work-for Iowa. But if has any aspirations of a professional career he is going to have to master the 4 and be serious about the 3. Hell, there's guys in the NBA with his skill set playing the 2. We have enough bigs to man the 4 and 5 but as the the OP says it may suck for some who don't get the playing time they deserve. It happens. Kent Hill and Michael Morgan probably deserved more playing time in the day, too

Cook at the 5 might work-for Iowa. But if has any aspirations of a professional career he is going to have to master the 4 and be serious about the 3. Hell, there's guys in the NBA with his skill set playing the 2. We have enough bigs to man the 4 and 5 but as the the OP says it may suck for some who don't get the playing time they deserve. It happens. Kent Hill and Michael Morgan probably deserved more playing time in the day, too
I actually disagree. I think Cook’s best chance at the NBA would be a small ball Center. He would come on off the bench and set screens and roll to the bucket for slams. See Jordan Bell with the Warriors, listed at 6’9/225. The problem is Bell was an amazing shot blocker at the college level, and Cook simple isn’t. I don’t see Cook ever being able to develop the jump shot and other skills enough to even be a 4 in today’s league.

Lol an internal NBA investigation a few years ago generated a report that Marijuana use maybe as high as 42% of the leauge. It's not like these guys are smoking blunts before games. They use the shit after and between games to make their bodies feel better. Maybe it would be better if they were all addicted to Hydrocodone.

I actually disagree. I think Cook’s best chance at the NBA would be a small ball Center. He would come on off the bench and set screens and roll to the bucket for slams. See Jordan Bell with the Warriors, listed at 6’9/225. The problem is Bell was an amazing shot blocker at the college level, and Cook simple isn’t. I don’t see Cook ever being able to develop the jump shot and other skills enough to even be a 4 in today’s league.
He would rack up fouls quicker than Trump racks up Twitter enemies. It would have to be a perfect situation. When I said some NBA threes and even twos have Cook's skill set I didn't necessarily mean Cook was as good because he's not and highly probably won't be. Sorry for not being more clear.

He would rack up fouls quicker than Trump racks up Twitter enemies. It would have to be a perfect situation. When I said some NBA threes and even twos have Cook's skill set I didn't necessarily mean Cook was as good because he's not and highly probably won't be. Sorry for not being more clear.
Agreed. I didn’t think you meant it either for what it’s worth. To me Cook’s chances at the NBA are very very slim, whether he tried it this year or in the future.

Lol an internal NBA investigation a few years ago generated a report that Marijuana use maybe as high as 42% of the leauge. It's not like these guys are smoking blunts before games. They use the shit after and between games to make their bodies feel better. Maybe it would be better if they were all addicted to Hydrocodone.
My point was that when trying to REACH the NBA, you should be doing everything in your power to get yourself there. Including, taking care of your physical health.

If you play basketball high on cocaine, you'll play harder and faster. You could possibly die from a heart attack too. But marijuana slows you down. The smoking can't help your lung capacity either.
I told the story in another thread. In late 1978 Bobby Knight dismissed three players, including both his point guards, for a marijuana based incident. It may have helped Iowa share the regular season Big Ten title that year (which they of course haven't since). But it also probably prevented Isiah Thomas from becoming a Hawkeye. Mary Thomas loved Lute and the Iowa City community and was even good friends with Nadine Lester, who she knew from the Chicago projects. But Bobby had the luxury of immediate playing time to sell. And Thomas knew how good Lester was so..... Can you imagine an Iowa team with Isiah Thomas, Ronnie Lester and Kenny Arnold flying up and down the court?

I expect us to make a 6 to 8 game leap next season. That means our 9-4 OOC record (this season) gets to 11-2 and if we win 5 more games in the BIG conference, that's a 7 game improvement from this season. That's good enough to get us to 20 wins but not good enough to get us an NCAA invite. For us to make the NCAA tourney field, we'd have to go 12-1 in the OOC and 11-7 in conference - with some wins against top 25 teams. That's a hell of a leap for the worst P5 defensive team in the land.
That's how I get to 0% chance. $50 is reasonable. Or we can do a sig bet. Loser puts what the winner says in his signature line. Obviously nothing offensive of profane. Something like - "I go to Lightning1 for all of my basketball knowledge".

It's on - I am happy with my bet and gives me more incentive to cheer on Iowa next year... and you incentive to not too I suppose? Kind of like always? I dunno, I've never thought you were anything but a Hawk fan. Just not a very good one. Who bets against there own team? Weak sauce buddy.... Still glad it's on and will happily honor the bet.

Trip down memory lane

Latest posts