Bohannon and jok lost that one

They don't always work. Do you see when Bohannon was up top and everyone was running around setting screens? That was a play. It didn't work.

Of course they don't always work...even with a timeout. That said, the point is, young team, needed to settle down, not rush things. That was why a timeout was needed in those situations. But, it would appear looking at the past and present, Fran does not believe in that philosophy in general. He let's his team play through it.

There is a huge difference between the hard fought close game we lost last night and the countless games we gave away in the past. In previous years, in the last 2 minutes of a game, we would make multiple bone headed plays and zero clutch plays. Last night (which was 3 last 2 minutes) we made a couple bone headed plays and multiple clutch plays.

Even in close games in the past that we won, it was more about the other team screwing up more than it was about us taking the game. The North Carolina game comes to mind. Gesell made one clutch play, but other than that, it was all about who could screw up worse.

There were a handful of bad plays last night but there will always be those. What we need to avoid are the horrible ones. Those are what killed us in the past. In 3 end of game situations plus the one against Michigan, we had exactly one horrible play. The full court pass by Jok. In 4 chances last year we would probably have around 10.

Going to disagree with you here.. .we made plenty of dumb plays at the end...

Cook fouls a guy to give them 2 free throws with under a minute...

Pemsl runs out of bounds and tries to fire a a pass across the court..

Jok starts his shot way to early in regulation and turns it over with plenty of time for the other team to run down court.

It really was much of the same series of bone-headed plays... at least some of these guys have the excuse they are young.

But we have seen this year after year regardless.

How about the punter in the mi vs MSU game last year?

Sorry society has made you so soft that it hurts you to think that someone is responsible.

Jok and bohannon are winners. I think they would look back and understand. You can only get better by finding what went wrong.

I am always amazed that you, and a few others, can manage to analyze peoples' motivations based on "society has made you soft" types of statements. The only things "soft" about me are my feelings for family and my midsection.

News flash: Basketball and football are team games and wins and losses are typically controlled by the team, not an individual. I think we lost the game in the first half by not scoring more points as a team. (get it?)

I am sure JB and PJ are grateful for your attempts to properly motivate them.

Grandpa, he would be much better off with an ultra lite shimano rod/reel, 4 lb test monofilament, and a little joe spinner below a beaded trolling sinker, tipped with a minnow or 1/2 a crawler. That way he could catch a lot of walleyes, deep fry them in peanut oil after dipping them in an egg batter and Cajun shore lunch. After cocktails for one hour, serve in large amounts.

Going to disagree with you here.. .we made plenty of dumb plays at the end...

Cook fouls a guy to give them 2 free throws with under a minute...

Pemsl runs out of bounds and tries to fire a a pass across the court..

Jok starts his shot way to early in regulation and turns it over with plenty of time for the other team to run down court.

It really was much of the same series of bone-headed plays... at least some of these guys have the excuse they are young.

But we have seen this year after year regardless.

Fouling a guy who is about to score (I think) doesn't classify as a "choke under pressure" play.

Pemsl got shut down by really good defense and lost the ball. A play we've seen him both make and turn over on lots of times this year. Again not an end of game choke job.

Jok going when he did was probably a good idea because it allowed him to get by his man and get the shot he wanted...had it not been for a quick hand steal which they call fouls on half the time whether they are or not.

Another way to put what I'm saying is this. The last team would play noticeably different as soon as it came down to crunch time. They would make stupid mistakes they didn't make the first 38 minutes all the time. That's what gave fran the label of not being able to coach a good team. This team played at least the same as they did the first 38 minutes, perhaps even better. They made a bunch of good plays and a handful of bad plays. Just like they did the first 38 minutes. Last night wasn't wilting under pressure at all.

I am always amazed that you, and a few others, can manage to analyze peoples' motivations based on "society has made you soft" types of statements. The only things "soft" about me are my feelings for family and my midsection.

News flash: Basketball and football are team games and wins and losses are typically controlled by the team, not an individual. I think we lost the game in the first half by not scoring more points as a team. (get it?)

I am sure JB and PJ are grateful for your attempts to properly motivate them.

If you think this was a team loss I would agree. Multiple players and coaches had part in it. However it is entirely possible for one or two players to lose a game for their team.

Going 0-3 in last possession clock management was straight out of kirks tiny notebook.

Jok knows better than to go to the basket that quickly. 9 out of 10 times one of those free throws are made and it's game over.

As a team they blew it. No perimeter defense, crappy shot selection and poor clock management in that order.

Jok and bohannon shutting it down at the end from the ft line

There were so many games in the past like this one that should have been 6 point wins and not been in the close game category, but instead ended up as a close loss or a close win that shouldn't have "padded" Fran's stats.

In my opinion, Fran's record is even worse in the true 50/50 games with under a minute left than his stats suggest. I would guess that a lot of his wins were in games where we were up 8 or so with a minute or two left and missed free throws and turnovers made it a "close game" but there just wasn't enough time left for the other team to actually win.

On the flip side, we rarely had a game where we were down 8 or so late and came storming back to win or lose a "close game".

I put this at least 90% on the players and 10% at the most on Fran. Fran is still here so it's possible we will still see the 10%, but the 90% is gone so look for close game stats to average out.

After seeing the game last night now I understand the Bohannon/Gesell comparisons. Watching him dribble into the lane and get trapped brought back bad memories. Then he doubled down by passing up a wide open 3 in the 2nd OT.

There's no comparison between these two IMO. Bohannon clearly has a much higher basketball IQ IMO. And we're talking 1 game compared to 4 years.

I enjoyed the game a great deal. Taking them to double OT just made me that much more optimistic of what these freshmen and sophomores can accomplish this year and moving forward. I can watch another road loss like this one and enjoy it...would prefer a win obviously.

There's no comparison between these two IMO. Bohannon clearly has a much higher basketball IQ IMO. And we're talking 1 game compared to 4 years.

Clearly? What does he do on the court that demonstrates this? I get SSS and all but he made those 2 huge mistakes in that game and countless others. Granted he is a freshman that makes freshman mistakes but I'd love to know what you are seeing that can say "Bohannon clearly has a much higher basketball IQ". I mean this may end up being true but I can't see how anybody can give that assessment based on what we've seen so far.

BTW, just to clarify I'm not a Bohannon hater but I see him as a SG.

Clearly? What does he do on the court that demonstrates this? I get SSS and all but he made those 2 huge mistakes in that game and countless others. Granted he is a freshman that makes freshman mistakes but I'd love to know what you are seeing that can say "Bohannon clearly has a much higher basketball IQ". I mean this may end up being true but I can't see how anybody can give that assessment based on what we've seen so far.

BTW, just to clarify I'm not a Bohannon hater but I see him as a SG.

The Bohannon love and Mike hate on this board is sickening. I'm sure people will be downplaying Jok's importance next year too. Some people just don't appreciate former players in the program and think all the new guys will be better

Who hates Mike?

PC and Tierney come to mind right away. Both said we'd be better at PG this year now that Mike is gone and his production would be easy to replace. PC even went as far as saying Mike setting the record for most assists in a season was unimpressive. Apparently if you rip former players on here it's OK but if you criticize a current player you're a troll

I get sickened when people criticize former players, but I'll rip current ones all day. Twins logic.