Bohannon and jok lost that one

I still don't understand posts like this. Is it against the rules in college to call a play from the bench or do you have to take a timeout? These 3 end of game situations had quite a few clutch plays and a handful of ugly plays on both sides.

I know message boards are always negative after a loss but I was actually surprised to get on here and see blame thrown around after that game.

I do believe that Fran could use the timeouts better at the end of a close game, regulation or overtime. The Lads are very young, and are doing extremely well, but might need a second or two to settle down and arrange a play. This said, they are handling things quite nicely at crunch time. Better than any Hawk team in recent memory, despite their relative inexperience.....

Lot of excellent exciting games coming down the pike. Going to make this an enjoyable Winter.....

:cool:

I suppose Bohannon was the guy guarding Watson.

During the half time highlights they showed Watson's baskets. In 4 made shots, only 1 was with Bohannon guarding him. Watson had 15 at half, and 2-4 points might have come vs Jordan.

Either way Jordan had a very poor game.

The full court pass by Jok was a really bad time for a turnover but I can't put a guys name on a loss that scored 34.

I also thought the 5th foul on Jok was really weak. If you're going to foul out the best player... it better be one he earns it on.

they called alot of phantom fouls on Iowa last night it was a joke....Cook got called for a couple to like that, i mean check out the free throws was a joke officiating job last night

PC I thought it was an entertaining.. well played game.

However the reason people are upset.. is these end of game losses have been a problem for years.

People are tired of it.
I agree, seeing a great game, Jok had 34, but we lose, that's why we are upset/pissed. Fran's player rotation and use of timeouts is mind boggling. 15 seconds left and we rush down the court and chuck a 3 up. 8 seconds left we run down and Ellingson shoots a fade away 3. 2 frustration plays that decided the game

Watson was impressive and made the big shots.

JB, Williams, and Ellingson were pretty much non factors offensively and defensively.

That big disparity, along with Jok getting hot and Nebraska's helpful woes at the line made it a an entertaining and close double overtime loss...which could have and should have been a win.

It would have been a feather in the hat of the young Hawks and a signature coaching turnaround for Fran...but the default setting took over, as it often does.

Baer off the bench leading the team in rebounds and blocks...I suggest Fran get some game tapes together...and spend the next day having the team watch them to see how Baer does it...time well spent.

The team played hard...but hit that get over hump close game wall...head on.

The team played their butts off - they were exhausted and put everything they had into it. Horrible officiated game BOTH ways. It took the refs 3 times to get the outcome they wanted and the score the way they wanted, but they finally got it. T Webster played the final 10 minutes of that game with 4 fouls and basically had a license to kill in OT. They just weren't going to send him to the bench and it was a great thing for Nebraska as he was one of their few players who you could trust at the line. The Jok turnover throwing the ball up court stands out to me when we were up 4 because if happened RIGHT in front of me. Unbelievably bad pass that didn't need to be made when we were up and not needing to push it.

Fran is coaching his A$$ off with this team - if you don't see it, I dunno. Early in the first half - he blew up on Moss for a missed D assignment. I mean, code 10 wrath of Fran. Yanked him - sat him 2 or 3 minutes - every assistant on the bench was in his ear. Fran goes back to him, taps him gives him a "go get em" pat and Moss went back in the game and LIT it up. Fran also tried to get Webster in foul trouble. Jok was going at him nearly every possession once he reached 3 fouls in the 2nd half and the refs just weren't gonna call it.

Last edited:
We start 4 freshmen and one senior and you want to blame someone for losing in double OT at their place.Your pathetic,I agree dumb post.These guys are more athletic than the seniors from last year and are improving every game and a joy to watch.Their going to make mistakes but to call a player out and say they lost the game is STUPID.

Last night when they tried to foul out Jok with 4 fouls - I thought Fran was going to take the score keepers head off. And the funny thing is, had he not done it - I don't think it would have been questioned - and I think that set up the refs letting that basket count that shouldn't have in OT because he was in their ear and knew the game was getting out of hand for these officials. Tough game - Iowa learned some things last night - what NOT to do in some case - what to do in others - i hope they grow from it.

Last night when they tried to foul out Jok with 4 fouls - I thought Fran was going to take the score keepers head off. And the funny thing is, had he not done it - I don't think it would have been questioned - and I think that set up the refs letting that basket count that shouldn't have in OT because he was in their ear and knew the game was getting out of hand for these officials. Tough game - Iowa learned some things last night - what NOT to do in some case - what to do in others - i hope they grow from it.

Yeah, what a bad call that was, we really got a break by letting that bucket count.

After seeing the game last night now I understand the Bohannon/Gesell comparisons. Watching him dribble into the lane and get trapped brought back bad memories. Then he doubled down by passing up a wide open 3 in the 2nd OT.

Yeah, what a bad call that was, we really got a break by letting that bucket count.

Honestly think it was a make up call and Fran got that with the WORK he was doing on them - it was like the refs were just trying to even it out the last 15 minutes of the game both ways which led to a TON of WTF calls. I don't want to blame refs so I will stop at, it was bad both ways, but I feel STRONGLY about Webster being able to do WHATEVER he wanted once he got 4 fouls that last 10 minutes. LICENSE TO KILL and we went at him nearly every time down the court, couldn't get a call. I think that was Fran's recipe to win and couldn't get him out.

After seeing the game last night now I understand the Bohannon/Gesell comparisons. Watching him dribble into the lane and get trapped brought back bad memories. Then he doubled down by passing up a wide open 3 in the 2nd OT.

I don't think we'll ever have a clutch PG or one that can finish at the rim under Fran. Going to have to rely on wings to make those plays

I don't think the refs were trying to make Nebraska win...bad call on Cook's tip in...and if there was a conspiracy...they would not have fouled out Watson with two minutes left on a questionable charge call. He was their star...and gone.

Jok's wild pass lost the game...it was a hideous mental mistake which a senior should never do...no other way to look at that one. Very bad.

Like a lot of teams that loose close games at the end, they quit doing what got them in a position to win. We held the ball until 10 and then tried to make a one on one move. It didn't work. I can see holding the bag, but then run the offense instead of forcing a drive from the point. Oh, and don't turn the ball over on a needless full court pass.

Yes...the full court pass (turnover) was totally unneeded...pretty amazing...trying to be a hero.

I just don't understand the point. Nebraska had like 4 guys back on defense and Moss was the only Iowa player up there.

Jok hit some big shots but he made a ton of boneheaded plays. He had 5 TOs and the play at the end of regulation was inexecusable as well. His laziness gets really frustrating sometimes (as did JU's last year).

If he keeps playing the way he has in the 1H of our two Big10 road games, expect to see a few more blowouts. We're lucky Moss kept us in it.

Latest posts