Biggest Iowan Sports Accomplishments

It's Warner, Gable, or Johnson in some order.

Super Bowl winning QB and MVP.
Most dominant Olympic performance we'll ever see from an Iowan.
Masters Champion.

These guys climbed to the absolute tippy-top of three of sports' highest mountains. No one from Iowa is ever going to surpass that.

It's Warner, Gable, or Johnson in some order.

Super Bowl winning QB and MVP.
Most dominant Olympic performance we'll ever see from an Iowan.
Masters Champion.

These guys climbed to the absolute tippy-top of three of sports' highest mountains. No one from Iowa is ever going to surpass that.

A Masters championship is not that impressive...at least not compared to the numerous HOFers and gold medalists on the list. 9 win in 12 years as a pro is not close to getting on this list.

A Masters championship is not that impressive...at least not compared to the numerous HOFers and gold medalists on the list. 9 win in 12 years as a pro is not close to getting on this list.

BUT ZACH IS A HOKK FAN!!!!

I'm viewing the question in terms of a singular accomplishment, not aggregate career accomplishments. Winning the Masters is as high as you can go in golf.

wenn2925664.jpg

I wonder if Lolo Jones qualifies.......

Eddy P.

On December 25, 1971, in a playoff loss to the Miami Dolphins (still the longest game in NFL history), he had a playoff-record 350 total yards: 85 rushing, 110 receiving, and 155 on returns.

Yeah but whatever I'm just brainstorming names. No one got as much media pub as him. One the national scale, he was as well known as any non-pro athlete. He was the consensus number 1 player in the nation and a preseason 1st team all America, going into his freshman season.

Also jack fleck could win the argument. The guy won the us open in one of the biggest upsets in golf history.

1. Gable
2. Feller
3. Warner
4. Shawn Johnson
5. Zach Johnson

For my money, you have to have been born and/or predominantly raised in Iowa to be considered for my list.

Kinnick...probably the favorite son and most popular of all the choices, but for a pure sports accomplishment perspective, I'd knock him down the list quite a ways.

I'm pretty sure that Bob Sanders isn't from Iowa and to claim that the Heisman is the single greatest trophy in all of sports is absurd.

No $hit he's not from Iowa....but JD used Chow as an Iowa alum so I was simply putting him in there as well. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

As for the Heisman, not sure what's so absurd about considering it the single greatest individual trophy in all of sports. But then, that's why it's called an opinion jackwagon.

Have to disagree with Barnes. Kid has been something of a bust since he left HS.

If Barnes has a succesful NBA career he will be in the discussion as best athlete from Iowa. People had unrealistic expectations for him in college.

Latest posts