Biggest Iowan Sports Accomplishments

Kurt Warner and its not close. Not only is he a future NFL hall-of-famer, but the story of how he got there is a monumental accomplishment.

Nile Kinnick and Kurt Warner. Wrestling is a minor sport at best. Gable's accomplishments are incredible but your average sport's fan doesn't give a hoot about wrestling.

Nile Kinnick and Kurt Warner. Wrestling is a minor sport at best. Gable's accomplishments are incredible but your average sport's fan doesn't give a hoot about wrestling.

It might be minor, but if you ask anyone to name someone from the sport, it's gonna be GABLE! Plus the question was greatest accomplishment, not "greatest accomplishment from jo12208 list of MAJOR sports"

It might be minor, but if you ask anyone to name someone from the sport, it's gonna be GABLE! Plus the question was greatest accomplishment, not "greatest accomplishment from jo12208 list of MAJOR sports"

I would say that the "biggest sports accomplishment" would be agreed upon by the majority of sports fans. So he has a point about most people not caring. Gable was a stud, but I would bet if this were a poll across the state, most would align with someone from a more popular sport, such as Kurt Warner.

Fail Becky.

Oregon State University ran up 28 consecutive losing seasons from 1971-1998 to earn the NCAA Division I-A (FBS) record for consecutive losing seasons. During that time the Beavers compiled a 65-238-6 record.

Read more: What team holds the record for most consecutive losing seasons in Division I college football
Yep they beat your record, but don't feel too bad 2nd best at losing streaks is still noteworthy. 1961 - 1980 without a winning season. Look it up !!

Last edited:
1. Dan Gable - Nobody has dominated any sport in the way Gable has, not only as a wrestler, but also as a coach...no comparision.
2. Chow - American coaches don't have more than one gymnast with chances to be repeat World Champions, let alone Olympic champions...Chow has that in Douglas, plus he turned Johnson into a sensational gymnast. This doesn't happen in American gymnastics.
3. Feller - What could he have done without essentially losing his prime to fight for his country?

For others on the list like Warner, yeah he accomplished a lot, even took the Cardinals of all people to the Super Bowl...pretty big.
Kinnick, the most prestigeous trophy in college football, it was a real award when he won it and is very impressive.

To the Harrison Barnes haters out there...no incoming freshman had ever been voted to be a pre-season all-american...not unrealistic expectations at all. He had a couple injuries in his career, but was by no means a bust. Barnes is a very good player, who will have a long NBA career...will he be a HOF'er, probably not, but he will be an All-Star at some point in his career. If he would have done the same thing at Iowa, he would be praised on here...he has issues with his game, but he is by no means a bust.

I have a record for you. 100 years without a conference champioship in football.
4747.gif

I don`t disagree that both were great CYCLONE wrestlers, but Cael was more accomplished and would have beaten Gable head to head, IMO. As far as coaching goes, Sanderson is just getting started, but two titles in a row is a good start.

lol great comparison...cael isn't in this topic, he live here for what 6 years?

average sports fans don't care bout wrestling doesn't mean its not an accomplishment jo70275025...guess winning gold for your country isn't worth a damn you terrorist

Last edited:

Latest posts