Biggest Iowan Sports Accomplishments

That's a tough choice, but I have to go with Dan Gable, and I'm not even a wrestling fan. He may be the only one on the list who is considered the greatest of all time at what they did. I would go with Bob Feller next.

He is not even the greatest Cyclone wrestler of all time . that distinction goes to Cael Sanderson!

Kirk Hinrich would be in mix too. Huge accomplishments at Kansas, 6th overall pick in the draft, going into his 9th NBA season.

This needs to be split into two categories: greatest careers and greatest individual accomplishments,.

Greatest careers:
Dan Gable
Kurt Warner
Cap Anson
Shawn Johnson
Bob Feller

Greatest Individual Accomplishments:
Nile Kinnick
Zach Johnson
Tim DeBoom (2x Ironman Triathlon World Champ from CR Washington)

I'm including Iowa natives but not people that came to Iowa to train or go to college, which leaves out Gabby Douglas, Cael Sanderson, Troy Davis, and others.

And that's why Sanderson's name comes up before Gable's in the world of wrestling all the time.

Oh, wait....

I don`t disagree that both were great CYCLONE wrestlers, but Cael was more accomplished and would have beaten Gable head to head, IMO. As far as coaching goes, Sanderson is just getting started, but two titles in a row is a good start.

Jerry Burns, Ray Nagel, Frank Lauterbur and Bob Cummings set an NCAA record of 19 consecutive non-winning seasons. That is more than just noteworthy!!

Last edited:
Jerry Burns, Ray Nagel, Frank Lauterbur and Bob Cummings set an NCAA record of 19 consecutive non-winning seasons. That is more than just noteworthy!!

Fail Becky.

Oregon State University ran up 28 consecutive losing seasons from 1971-1998 to earn the NCAA Division I-A (FBS) record for consecutive losing seasons. During that time the Beavers compiled a 65-238-6 record.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_team..._in_Division_I_college_football#ixzz22YDuqtr8

I don`t disagree that both were great CYCLONE wrestlers, but Cael was more accomplished and would have beaten Gable head to head, IMO. As far as coaching goes, Sanderson is just getting started, but two titles in a row is a good start.

Gable is the almost universal face of wrestling. You can quibble about collegiate accomplishments, where Sanderson has the absolute slightest of edges over Gable.

Gable allowed ZERO points in the Olympics, and in nine years of freestyle competition, he lost just five matches (97-5). Sanderson lost more matches than that in one year (2000), and lost five more in 2003. In all, Sanderson has lost 14 times in freestyle competition.

And no ****, Cael would probably win head-to-head. He wrestled at 184; Gable wrestled at 141.

So, do you care to elaborate just how Sanderson is more accomplished?

My friend, born and raised in Iowa, studied in England for the past year. Is he now considered British? One year is a freaking blip.
England's not Nebraska.

His father took a job, Nile didn't have a choice. they didnt have the luxuries then that you have now, like collecting unemployment. After graduating from Iowa, he stayed in Iowa.

it doesnt **** you off thay Nebraska & Omahans consider Nile a Nebraskan because he spent less than one yr of his life in Omaha?

Latest posts