Big Ten Likely to Expand Conference Sched to Nine or Ten Games...

I agree with this. A 10 game conference schedule with only 12 total games kills the Iowa-ISU game. It also kills Iowa bringing in anyone of merit for those other 2 games.

After the BCS goes away and the playoffs take over, there will be a selection committee which is going to heavily favor Strength of Schedule (SOS) (i.e. quality wins versus # of wins)...padding one's record, like they do now to appease BCS poll voters, will be obsolete. Highly rated opponents will become the new norm....something to embrace, not avoid.

Did I say fact to support it? I meant to say anything at all to support it. My bad.

You are literally ignoring all the facts.
By any measure there is, both human and otherwise, the SEC has the best teams. Voters say so, computers say so, average Joe fan says so. You ignore them all because its not what you want to hear.
Its okay. They're good at football. The B1G is good at lots of things, football isn't one of them.

I did not see them playing in a bowl, much less a NT. PSU and OSU (one conf) both got hit this year. I am not saying 5-10 teams but three or four from the sec, P12, B12 is very possible. USC is in the crapper and to think otherwise is foolish. How many have decommitted?

They couldn't play in a bowl. But it isn't likely to hurt them in the long run at all, and very little in the short term. Also, Penn State doesn't really count in this context, unless you think there are multiple SEC schools covering up child molestation. That was a totally unprecedented case. No way will they hit multiple big name programs for the garden variety violations with anything substantive.

After the BCS goes away and the playoffs take over, there will be a selection committee which is going to heavily favor Strength of Schedule (SOS) (i.e. quality wins versus # of wins)...padding one's record, like they do now to appease BCS poll voters, will be obsolete. Highly rated opponents will become the new norm....something to embrace, not avoid.

You do realize that bringing somebody in with some merit will require a return trip back, which means only six home games, which is something that most BCS schools won't do, due to the large amount of revenue gameday produces, right?

Last edited:
You do realize that bringing somebody in with some merit will require a return trip back, which means only six home games, which is something that most BCS schools won't do, due to the large amount of revenue gameday produces.

Guess who benefits the most with any strength of schedule component?
Yep, the SEC.

The conference of ethics & morality...

Brad Wolverton ‏@bradwolverton
Big Ten schools spent student-aid money on shredding costs, administrator travel, and $270,814 in parking permits.

NCAA Money for Student Assistance Lands in Many Pockets, Big Ten Document Shows - Athletics - The Chronicle of Higher Education

LOL
The B1G is the most corrupt, ethically bankrupt conference there is.

Did you even read the article?....I thought not.

Athletes wanted parking fees to be paid for,and schools did it...and that is unethical? Not.

It seems that over 99% of these funds went directly to athletes,as they should.
The real conclusion here is that the Big Ten uses these funds more than any other conference because they actually are not giving money to their athletes under the table,like in the SEC/Big 12. So these funds are needed by athletes,and are being used properly.

Did you even read the article?....I thought not.

Athletes wanted parking fees to be paid for,and schools did it...and that is unethical? Not.

It seems that over 99% of these funds went directly to athletes,as they should.
The real conclusion here is that the Big Ten uses these funds more than any other conference because they actually are not giving money to their athletes under the table,like in the SEC/Big 12. So these funds are needed by athletes,and are being used properly.

"Accounting error"!

Riiiiight.

If Iowa truly had an "accounting error" of that magnitude, they are far far dumber than even I thought. Someone should be fired immediately for incompetence if it was. This is a university for crying out loud. They have entire dept's devoted to NOT making these kinds of mistakes.

By any measure there is, both human and otherwise, the SEC has the best teams. Voters say so, computers say so, average Joe fan says so. You ignore them all because its not what you want to hear.
Its okay. They're good at football. The B1G is good at lots of things, football isn't one of them.

No seriously, I get it. What I don't understand is the logic that says such a brutal conference schedule is going to have 3 or 4 teams yearly that belong in a playoff? As I stated earlier, if the SEC is elite top to bottom, then explain to me how there are going to be 3 or 4 teams each year that will run the gauntlet beat out teams who may go undefeated or end up with one loss. It either means that the SEC isn't that great top to bottom, which would be the case if they somehow ended up with 4 teams in the top 4 spots in the playoffs, or it would mean that that the poles are biased toward the SEC. The fact is that like other conferences the SEC has tiers in terms of quality teams. You have the elites on the top and then a second and third tier that cycle back and fourth on a yearly basis. But let's not kid ourselves there are also horrible teams in the SEC. The fact is if Georgia wouldn't have been blessed with the equivalent of Iowa's conference schedule this year, they never would have been in contention for a national championship because they played no one with a pulse in their crossover games put Bama or LSU on that schedule and they don't look nearly as good.

I've said it from day one that I have nothing against Alabama. But as I stated since you've got all the facts and I chose to believe what I want t. How is it that Bama made it to the National Championship 2 years ago, not winning their conference, not winning their division, and not playing in a conference championship. The fact is "the general rules" of college football don't apply the same way to the SEC as they do to the rest of the country. But if you truly beleive what they're spoonfeeding you that says 6 of the top 10 teams in the nation are SEC teams, then I'm sorry to hear that. But again like I said if that was the case then there isn't any reason all 6 of those teams should lose multiple games each year and then they'll rightfully deserve to be there over teams that go undefeated or lose one game along the way.

Just another question, but why mention the B1G in this argument? America's bias toward the SEC affects all of college football and not just the B1G. But honest question. We can agree that if Ohio State would have been eligible this year they'd most likely been on the outside looking in, in terms of a chance at the national championship, yet Georgia who got a free pass to the SEC championship based on scheduling would have most likely got in despite the fact they didn't play Bama, LSU, or Texas A&M (arguably 3 of the top 5 teams in the conference). With the exception of playing Florida and South Carolina, I don't see how Georgia's schedule would have been any better than any other team in the country's, let alone a schedule worthy of putting them into the NC over Oregon, ND, or anyone esle for that matter.

Just another question, but why mention the B1G in this argument? America's bias toward the SEC affects all of college football and not just the B1G. But honest question. We can agree that if Ohio State would have been eligible this year they'd most likely been on the outside looking in, in terms of a chance at the national championship, yet Georgia who got a free pass to the SEC championship based on scheduling would have most likely got in despite the fact they didn't play Bama, LSU, or Texas A&M (arguably 3 of the top 5 teams in the conference). With the exception of playing Florida and South Carolina, I don't see how Georgia's schedule would have been any better than any other team in the country's, let alone a schedule worthy of putting them into the NC over Oregon, ND, or anyone esle for that matter.

You want to know why the SEC gets the benefit of the doubt?
They've won 7 straight national titles and nearly all the top high school prospects go to those schools.
That's why.
Not to mention the brilliance that is the SEC propaganda machine. Just flat out brilliant. They outsmarted the smart guys.

The SEC is minor league professional football.
Everyone else is playing intramurals.

They've won 7 straight national titles and nearly all the top high school prospects go to those schools.
That's why.
Not to mention the brilliance that is the SEC propaganda machine. Just flat out brilliant. They outsmarted the smart guys.

I totally see where your coming from, but I'm a firm believer that the league is watered down and there are just enough scab programs to keep the solid, but nonelite, teams in contention when they are fortunate enough to dodge the "big boys" in the conference. I do think you summed it up perfectly, however with "outsmarting the smart guys" and as I said they play by a completely different set of rules then the rest of the conferences which also has benefited to 7 national championships going to teams in the SEC. The thing that people forget though, is the fact that last I checked it was individual teams that were winning championships and not the conference itself. A great deal of the problem is directly the result of preseason rankings which allow mediocre teams to stay a float in the rankings, because they are losing to other non elite conference teams and dropping one or two places while maintaining there spots in the top 25, while other schools are penalized for a loss. LSU's performance at the beginning of last season was rediculous, but let's give all the credit to their opponents and keep them ranked because they were playing other SEC programs. IF any other team struggled midseason like LSU did they woldn't have even sniffed the top 10 last season. The other thing that goes unnoticed is the fact that the upper teir teams in that conference are cyclical and often bounce back and fourth while only one or two programs remain truly elite.

I get what your saying and it's logical, despite the fact I don't agree with it, but ranking 6 teams from a conference in the top 10 teams in the country is a joke. IF they want to chest thump about top to bottom dominance realign the divisions and relegate an upper and lower division in which the best of the best are in one conference and the mediocres are in another and let the successful mediocre division champs swap spots with the bottom feeders in the upper division that can't hang. IMO by doing that, there's your SOS argument fixed, and if you get 3 or 4 teams getting out of that with 1 or 2 losses then maybe they deserve a shot.

I think one thing that we'll begin to see with Super Conferences is the fact that despite the great teams in the conferences your still going to have bottom feeders that will still be bottom feeders in any conference. The SEC has those, but people just tend to ignore it.

That's why.Not to mention the brilliance that is the SEC propaganda machine. Just flat out brilliant. They outsmarted the smart guys.

I just don't buy this. The teams are winning the championships not the conference itself. I understand that all this talent is being distributed by the SEC but take out the truly elite and you have programs like Tennessee, Auburn, Arkansas, Vandy, and South Carolina that are cyclical and aren't exactly programs that / would be elites outside of their conference. So The conference gets a free pass, because they year in and year out may have 3 programs that can could be considered Elite and the rest of them just sit back and ride the coattails. People also forget the fact that Texas A&M was anything but elite the last few years in the Big 12, but suddenly there cream of the crop in the SEC and it makes the appearance of the league even stronger. I'm a Texas A&M guy, but things honestly don't make any sense in the perception of the SEC. And call me a hater, or delusional, but I just don't fall in to the category that kisses the butt of all things SEC.

That's why.

Not "nearly all": Scout.com: Football Recruiting

Yes, the southeast is the most talent-rich region of the country which obviously helps the SEC. But coaching matters too, evidenced by Auburn's fall this year, Texas' & Tennessee's recent struggles, and Notre Dame's perpetual underachievment until recently despite years of Top 10 classes.

dude i sure hope so. but i'll believe it when i see it.

what exactly is the financial situation at ISU and how would ending the series "put a dent" in it?

looks to me like the big ten figured that the only way they can stop getting embarrassed by other conferences in football is if they simply stopped playing them all together...

We draw bigger crowds when we play UNI. We don't need Iowa any more than you need State.