Big Ten Likely to Expand Conference Sched to Nine or Ten Games...

True, but there are schools in the Big Ten that have had good runs (OSU, Michigan, Minnesota) some before they became a member (Nebraska & Penn State). There is just to much talent in the south without a lot of competition for there to be a level playing field. Let's face it, the SEC rules the south every once in a while enough talent leaks into an ACC school like Florida State & Miami for them to make a run but the state of Florida has so much talent that it can get a way with having 3 good BCS schools in the same state. While in the north you got a bunch of schools fighting for talent in Chicago and the leftovers in Ohio (after OSU takes theirs), not to mention Notre Dame who should have been in the Big Ten a long time ago.

There is not a good answer for this, Delany is making the right moves by bringing in eastern schools so hopefully that will draw in the talent on the east coast. But the conferences need to play by the same set of rules. It is an advantage to the SEC to be able to sign as many recruits they want and then either find medical scholarships or take scholarships a way from kids who were promised one.

I agree, it shouldn't have taken the SEC this long to dominate. But now that it is, no one is going to catch them. The gap continues to widen. Watch the recruiting rankings next Wednesday, the SEC will have 6-7 schools in the top 10. The war is over, the SEC won & relegated the B1G to mid major status.

As for the oversigning/med hardships, I used to think that was a bigger deal that it really is, just like you apparently do. Those kids are gonna end up in the SEC anyway.

As for Delany moving on the east coast, he had to. It was a move a desperation, though no one will admit it.
Adding UMD & RU really kills a school like Iowa, who has had some success in those areas recruiting because they were able to "sell the B1G" to those kids. Now those kids can stay home and play for their home state school IN the B1G. Adding those schools is bad for Iowa. Really bad. Dividing up geographically, though it makes sense, is also bad for Iowa. Agreeing to separating from the two biggest powers in the league is very very ignorant by the leadership at the University of Iowa. Though it isn't surprising because the leadership at UI is as bad as it has ever been.

The SEC is NEVER EVER EVER going to agree to limiting their bids. They neutered Delany when he tried that crap the last time and put his a** in its place. Never in a billion years is the SEC going to agree to equal auto bids. WILL. NOT. HAPPEN.

Hey numbnuts, you believe that the SEC would NEVER EVER EVAR agree to limiting their bids in a playoff system, but what makes you think that other conferences would agree to a playoff system that would allow one conference to have three out of four bids. That is NEVER EVER EVAR going to happen. You're on crack.

Hey numbnuts, you believe that the SEC would NEVER EVER EVAR agree to limiting their bids in a playoff system, but what makes you think that other conferences would agree to a playoff system that would allow one conference to have three out of four bids. That is NEVER EVER EVAR going to happen. You're on crack.

You mean like the playoff we'll have in 2014?
No limits on that playoff. Top four get in regardless of conference.

LOL

Trey, you have to be a troll. Nobody is that stupid.
Lets just say the 14 SEC teams over sign by 4 each. That is 56 kids. According to another thread there are only 54 5*'s per year. Then if you figure 14 schools all recruiting 22 (avg?) kids per year that comes to 308 kids and again according to the other thread there are only 285 4* kids per year. So I would say over signing is a very big deal.

Trey, you have to be a troll. Nobody is that stupid.
Lets just say the 14 SEC teams over sign by 4 each. That is 56 kids. According to another thread there are only 54 5*'s per year. Then if you figure 14 schools all recruiting 22 (avg?) kids per year that comes to 308 kids and again according to the other thread there are only 285 4* kids per year. So I would say over signing is a very big deal.

Gerry DiNardo disagrees with you.

Just because you guys don't like the fact that the B1G has been relegated in athletics doesn't make that fact any less true. The B1G hasn't won a championship in the two sports that matter for over a decade folks. By every metric you could possibly use, the B1G is the 4th best conference athletically and falling. Its okay to admit that. By doing so, it doesn't lessen my self worth or devalue my B1G degree. We suck at athletics, its okay. We're pretty good at lots of other stuff, athletics just isn't one of them anymore.

Trey, just curious, but since the SEC as a whole is the greatest conference top to bottom in the world, then explain how they they'll wrap up these 2 or 3 playoff spots on a yearly basis. I'm not saying they lack elite programs, but based on the fact they have to get through their "elite conference schedule", how is it possible that 2 or 3 programs will get through on a yearly basis undefeated or with 1 or 2 losses to even be in the running.

The fact is the hype associated with the conference has a top to bottom "elite" appeal when in fact there are only a handful of truly dominant programs. If it was top to bottom that elite, then there would be much more teams with .500 conference records. As much as people hate to say it there is a the padded cushion of having maybe 4 elite programs split into two divisions in which they may not have to play the other elite programs in a given season (ie. Georgia this year). Collectively the conference is solid, but the fact that it's a large enough conference in which not all teams will get to face eachother does wonders in the rankings at the end of the season.

Trey, just curious, but since the SEC as a whole is the greatest conference top to bottom in the world, then explain how they they'll wrap up these 2 or 3 playoff spots on a yearly basis. I'm not saying they lack elite programs, but based on the fact they have to get through their "elite conference schedule", how is it possible that 2 or 3 programs will get through on a yearly basis undefeated or with 1 or 2 losses to even be in the running.

The fact is the hype associated with the conference has a top to bottom "elite" appeal when in fact there are only a handful of truly dominant programs. If it was top to bottom that elite, then there would be much more teams with .500 conference records. As much as people hate to say it there is a the padded cushion of having maybe 4 elite programs split into two divisions in which they may not have to play the other elite programs in a given season (ie. Georgia this year). Collectively the conference is solid, but the fact that it's a large enough conference in which not all teams will get to face eachother does wonders in the rankings at the end of the season.

They'll get the spots because they have the best teams.

Iowa not playing Iowa St would be a good thing. Actually, would be a great thing! We get nothing out of that game if we win and if we lose it looks bad. We have been on the wrong side of that series as of late, but the premise is still the same. Let's go to that 10 game conference series and get that goat game off the schedule.

The game with Iowa will always be more important to ISU than it is to Iowa. Without the Iowa game, ISU will hardly get state wide attention during the football season. Out of sight, out of mind.

Last edited:
I would love to see Iowa play ten conference games,with a couple of cupcakes to get prepared.
Forget ISU.
I want to play the eastern Big Ten division teams at least every third year.
Play our 6 divisional rivals,then 4 of the east every year. Home and away,then rotate.

I'd hate to see the Iowa/ISU game go, but playing a 10 game schedule would have to warrant it. 9 games, maybe the Iowa/ISU game could continue, but I don't see it for Iowa. It is not that Iowa would be afraid to play Iowa State, but more about keeping healthy for a brutal 10 game B1G schedule. With 10 conference games, getting wins at home (to MAC/Sun Belt teams) makes a ton of sense. I'd hate to see the rivalry game go, but any logical Iowa State fan can understand.

I agree with this. A 10 game conference schedule with only 12 total games kills the Iowa-ISU game. It also kills Iowa bringing in anyone of merit for those other 2 games.

Based on our past several seasons, we need more cupcakes if we want a better W/L record. The good news is that by playing 10 B1G games each year, we will be guaranteed of playing a lot of cupcakes.

Unfortunately, we will get no better by playing these games. I for one look forward to the in-state games and would miss them.

Based on our past several seasons, we need more cupcakes if we want a better W/L record. The good news is that by playing 10 B1G games each year, we will be guaranteed of playing a lot of cupcakes.

Unfortunately, we will get no better by playing these games. I for one look forward to the in-state games and would miss them.

You're missing the point....after the BCS goes away and the playoffs take over, there will be a selection committee which is going to heavily favor Strength of Schedule (SOS) (i.e. quality wins versus # of wins)...padding one's record, like they do now to appease BCS poll voters, will be obsolete.

Point is if you dont think what goes around comes around, you have the thought process of a child.
Be kind of funny if Oregon and couple sec schools got nailed all at the same time, that would change the whole lanscape, no? Kind of like OSU, USC, PSU...... The NCAA is cracking down and major rule violations will be punished more and more and carry stiffer and stiffer penalties.

OSU was 12-0 this year. USC was 10-2 last year. None of the major programs are going to get heavy enough sanctions to level the playing field for everyone, and they aren't going to get hit all at once. It takes the NCAA 5 years to complete a thorough investigation of one school. No way will we see them hit 5-10 schools at once.

OSU was 12-0 this year. USC was 10-2 last year. None of the major programs are going to get heavy enough sanctions to level the playing field for everyone, and they aren't going to get hit all at once. It takes the NCAA 5 years to complete a thorough investigation of one school. No way will we see them hit 5-10 schools at once.

I did not see them playing in a bowl, much less a NT. PSU and OSU (one conf) both got hit this year. I am not saying 5-10 teams but three or four from the sec, P12, B12 is very possible. USC is in the crapper and to think otherwise is foolish. How many have decommitted?

Latest posts