Big Ten Likely to Expand Conference Sched to Nine or Ten Games...

While a 4/5 may seem unfair at face, if thought about with bowls and getting to said bowls and what the B10 has done recently in said bowls. Maybe not such a harsh tone could be taken with a 4/5?

Hmmm....spent some time thinking about this one.

Looking at it from a macro-view....I'm for a 10-game league schedule as long as the rest of the playoff-eligible teams do the same. (It won't matter for the non-playoff bowl teams...those non-NCAA-run entities will always go for whoever travels best, etc, just as they do now.)

Not to ramble, but now, the emphasis to a NC game invite and to a BCS bowl, is to diminish losses. That's why teams schedule the cupcakes. Pure and simple. A 12-0 team playing a softer schedule looks much more favorable to the BCS voting idiots than an 11-1 team which went through the grinder.

When the playoffs (finally!) arrive, and (finally!!) expand to 8 or 16 teams, Strength-Of-Schedule (SOS) and a logical/sane selection committee will become paramount, similar to the NCAA basketball world. Total wins won't mean as much as SOS.

So, for conferences who choose not to play a 10-game conf schedule (nine for example) will be giving a scheduling advantage to their teams by allowing them to schedule more marquee match-ups....i.e. higher SOS, i.e. better selection potential.

Whaaaa? Can someone translate?

Do you think the B10 having a CCG was a good idea?
Well if a team makes it to a good bowl and did so playing 5 away conf games, it pry means they are doing pretty good. So it would stand to reason it is a tougher road to hoe if you make it with 5 away games. Thus it stands to reason, they maybe ready for a tough away bowl game.
In other words, the harder it is to get there the better we will be and I am all for it. NOW if the team that always makes it was the one with 5 home games, well it backfired. BUT we have to try something, because we are stinking up the bowls like no other.

So only time the conference has a chance to prove itself is during post season? SEC teams would always get the nod in tied record situations for the play off or bcs bowls.

Wow, that would be crazy if the SEC started getting the nod over everyone else. We should probably just keep things the same way so that never happens.

Wow, that would be crazy if the SEC started getting the nod over everyone else. We should probably just keep things the same way so that never happens.

I'm convinced more than ever that the Iowa State game is meaningless. Play 10 conference games and two MAC teams and call it a day.

I like the 9 game idea. Keeps the formula of scheduling FCS team, MAC/Sunbelt and ISU in the non-conference.

While the 9 game schedule results in some teams getting 4 home games and others 5, they should set up the schedule so all teams within the division have the same 4/5 split. For example, each team will get 6 divisional games, so that's an easy 3 home/3 away split. Then for the 3 cross-divisional games, Year 1 all teams in Legends plays 2 home/1 away and then flip it for Year 2. This way no team has an advantage within the division.

You want a prediction, here's one:

By 2016 the B1G will have 20 teams.
There will be a 14 game schedule for 8 home games, including 6 conference home games.
There will be a B1G Final Four with the semi's on campus.

The playoff will be an SEC event, folks.
They'll have at a minimum of two, most of the time three teams of the four.
When the playoff goes to 8, the SEC will get 4-5 of those spots each year, maybe more.

The SEC is minor league professional football, the B1G is intramurals and the gap is massive and growing.
On signing day next week, the SEC will have 7 of the top 10 signing classes.
The SEC's reign has just begun and the B1G is the MAC with a fat paycheck.

The playoff will be an SEC event, folks.
They'll have at a minimum of two, most of the time three teams of the four.
When the playoff goes to 8, the SEC will get 4-5 of those spots each year, maybe more.

The SEC is minor league professional football, the B1G is intramurals and the gap is massive and growing.
On signing day next week, the SEC will have 7 of the top 10 signing classes.
The SEC's reign has just begun and the B1G is the MAC with a fat paycheck.

So embrace that.

Put a conference together of like minded universities who aren't willing to go down the SEC path. If you win the championship of a 20 team conference, isn't that pretty ******* good?

I'd hate to see the Iowa/ISU game go, but playing a 10 game schedule would have to warrant it. 9 games, maybe the Iowa/ISU game could continue, but I don't see it for Iowa. It is not that Iowa would be afraid to play Iowa State, but more about keeping healthy for a brutal 10 game B1G schedule. With 10 conference games, getting wins at home (to MAC/Sun Belt teams) makes a ton of sense. I'd hate to see the rivalry game go, but any logical Iowa State fan can understand.

So embrace that.

Put a conference together of like minded universities who aren't willing to go down the SEC path. If you win the championship of a 20 team conference, isn't that pretty ******* good?

Sure, that's a great accomplishment.
My point is that the B1G is done playing for national titles, so people need to accept that. Delany did when he agreed to the playoff.

My point is that the B1G is done playing for national titles, so people need to accept that. Delany did when he agreed to the playoff.
To be fair, they weren't playing for many prior to the proposed playoff. I think that OSU played for, what 2 or 3, which were the only ones since the 60's?

You're kidding, right?

BCS Standings heading into the bowls:

1. Notre Dame
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State (would've been here, or even possibly 2)
4. Florida
5. Oregon
6. Kansas State
7. Stanford
8. Georgia

Two SEC teams in the four team playoff, 3 in the eight team.

2011 BCS Standings heading into the bowls:

1. LSU
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma State
4. Stanford
5. Oregon
6. Arkansas
7. Boise State
8. Kansas State

There's 2 teams in the four team, 3 teams in the eight team.

2010 BCS Standings heading into the Bowls:

1. Auburn
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. Stanford
5. Wisconsin
6. Ohio State
7. Oklahoma
8. Arkansas

That's 1 team in the four team playoff, 2 in the eight team.

Just a small sample size of the last three years, but to think the SEC would get that many teams in is outrageous. They'll get one, maybe two more than other BCS conferences, but that is due to the fact that they are the best conference in college football.

The playoff gives the Big Ten a better chance to get into National Title games, as getting one or two teams into a 4 or 8 team playoff, gives those teams a chance to upset a so-called favorite, and earn a spot in the title game or semifinal game, where anything can happen.

Going to a 10 game conference schedule would eliminate ND from playing any B1G team ever - ND won't play an away game without getting a home game in return. We know teams want the 7 home games for revenue purposes. I think this is Delaney's last shot at trying to force ND into a conference.

You're kidding, right?

BCS Standings heading into the bowls:

1. Notre Dame
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State (would've been here, or even possibly 2)
4. Florida
5. Oregon
6. Kansas State
7. Stanford
8. Georgia

Two SEC teams in the four team playoff, 3 in the eight team.

2011 BCS Standings heading into the bowls:

1. LSU
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma State
4. Stanford
5. Oregon
6. Arkansas
7. Boise State
8. Kansas State

There's 2 teams in the four team, 3 teams in the eight team.

2010 BCS Standings heading into the Bowls:

1. Auburn
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. Stanford
5. Wisconsin
6. Ohio State
7. Oklahoma
8. Arkansas

That's 1 team in the four team playoff, 2 in the eight team.

Just a small sample size of the last three years, but to think the SEC would get that many teams in is outrageous. They'll get one, maybe two more than other BCS conferences, but that is due to the fact that they are the best conference in college football.

The playoff gives the Big Ten a better chance to get into National Title games, as getting one or two teams into a 4 or 8 team playoff, gives those teams a chance to upset a so-called favorite, and earn a spot in the title game or semifinal game, where anything can happen.

You'll have to forgive trey as he's an $EC homer.....he forgets that Bama should be sending thank you cards to tOSU for being on probation, otherwise it's the Buckeyes playing the Irish for the title and not the Tide.

How many teams would the SEC have had in this season's playoff if it were 4 & 8 teams?

In a 4 team, 2(Bama, UF)

In a 8 team, 4(Bama, UF, UGA & LSU) & the 9th place team was TAMU & SCarolina 10th.

So 6 of the top 10.

It's going to be an SEC event. With each recruiting class, the gap widens. It is a canyon at this point.
Next Wednesday(signing day) is going to be the biggest landslide in the history of recruiting as there will be 7 SEC schools with top 10 classes. The best players want to play in the best league against the best players. That's the SEC.

I'm sure I'm wrong though, its not like the SEC has won 7 straight titles or anything like that.

You can't simply correlate BCS standings with who would have made the playoffs. The whole premise of a playoff is using a selection committee who actually 1.) care, 2.) do their homework, 3.) aren't homers....*all* lacking in the BCS voter situation (not to mention the idiotic computer)

At least with a playoff, you can decide who plays for the NC on the field...not through some bogus poll. (Ask the AP why they disassociated with the BCS standings)

Latest posts