Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a healthcare person (pharmacist) who currently works in Long Term Care (nursing home medications).

While not to be taken lightly, COVID-19 has been way way way blown out of proportion by mainstream media and social media.

I'm "old" enough to vividly remember the following:

Swine Flu of 1976 (amounted to nothing)
West Nile Virus of 1999/2000
SARS of 2003 (which was another strain of coronavirus)
H1N1 (swine flu again) in 2009
Ebola in 2013
And of course, I'm right smack dab in the middle of the 'regular' influenza fight every year.

Mankind made it through all of these supposed pandemics. And without all the hysteria.

Temporary de-socialization, on-going proper hygiene and the elixir of time are the three key elements in riding this out. The virulent exposure window will pass. Life will move on. Relax and enjoy it.

If this is simply news and social media blowing it out of proportion how do you explain world-wide response, including some countries literally shutting down, and high death rate in countries like Italy?

89652946_10156993329857703_3444068518713098240_n.jpg

If this is simply news and social media blowing it out of proportion how do you explain world-wide response, including some countries literally shutting down, and high death rate in countries like Italy?
Look guys...educate yourselves. Italy has a very high elderly population. Their air pollution is bad. Most people smoke. They refused,until recently, to put into effect an anti-social measures. Their government is corrupt and ineffective. And before you say anything, I lived there for three years, so yes, I know. You can't compare their issues to USA's. Finally, they are now rigorously testing and of course their numbers will seem higher.

Look guys...educate yourselves. Italy has a very high elderly population. Their air pollution is bad. Most people smoke. They refused,until recently, to put into effect an anti-social measures. Their government is corrupt and ineffective. And before you say anything, I lived there for three years, so yes, I know. You can't compare their issues to USA's. Finally, they are now rigorously testing and of course their numbers will seem higher.
It's ironic that West Virginia is one of worst tobacco abusing states in this country and yet they remain the only one of the fifty states with no confirmed cases as of this afternoon.

The hysteria is stupid.

School districts n St. Louis county are shutting down.

Stores shelves are bare.

You know this is the Earth taking care of itself. Boomers are scourge of this country and this virus is here to clean them out.

This saves Social Security and Medicare and give Gen X and Millenials a bump in wealth with the redistribution of said wealth.

As a quasi-hypochondriac, I worry about EVERY health scare. My biggest fear? At some point, ONE of them HAS to get me.

On a serious note, my brother smokes and has b/p issues, so if he gets it, it could be trouble.

It's ironic that West Virginia is one of worst tobacco abusing states in this country and yet they remain the only one of the fifty states with no confirmed cases as of this afternoon.
It's also ironic that Russia has yet ... yet ... to see hardly any cases.

Your average Moscow resident probably smokes three packs of non-filters per day, doesn't exercise and spends most evenings at 24-hour clubs hooking up. Go figure...

giphy.gif

368 people died in Italy today from the coronavirus. If you extrapolate that to the population of the United States, that is approximately 2,000 people. That is a lot of people for one day, regardless of what rate it is.

I hope we don't get to the level that they have it in Italy. But the measures that are being taken today are done in an effort to avoid that situation. This is not hype.
Italy did not close down to travel from China. In fact, there are direct flights from China to northern Italy as many Chinese people work in the fine leather factories there. Not saying it is the only reason for the increase in Italy, but it’s a reason.

Iowa Govenor Kim Reynolds is recommending that all state public schools to close down for 4 weeks. Have fun going to school into early July kids.

Keep in mind that CV is like the chickenpox - once you get it and recover in 1-2 weeks, you are immune going forward.
Be smart about things to protect you & yours, but don't think you need to live in a bomb shelter for Christ's sake.

The benefits of no one wanting to visit your state and being too poor to travel outside of your state.

Keep in mind that CV is like the chickenpox - once you get it and recover in 1-2 weeks, you are immune going forward.
Be smart about things to protect you & yours, but don't think you need to live in a bomb shelter for Christ's sake.

I need to see the evidence you have that confirms you cannot get this virus more than once.

Iowa Govenor Kim Reynolds is recommending that all state public schools to close down for 4 weeks. Have fun going to school into early July kids.
They will add hours to the day, go on Saturdays, or implement on line learning, but they will not extend the school year into the summer. Too many places in Iowa depend on high school aged kids for summer employment and not enough schools have central air conditioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts