Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard someone is telling people that the supply to most stores will be interrupted for some reason, I don't know why but that rumor is driving the sales of TP. I work at a pretty big retailer and we had pallets of the stuff and we're completely sold out. Happened so fast I never even got a chance to stock up. Hell, plenty of kleenex left if it comes to that. Wouldn't use paper towels, some of that stuff takes a while to decompose.
You could just jump in the shower after flushing.

My three millenial children, aged 22 19 and 16, probably have no memory of the last time they drank out of a kitchen faucet. But they will fight over water bottles at Dicks Sporting Goods like they are fashion statements or something.

Have we (this generation of parents including myself) wussed out our kids or what? I can remember going up to the nearest house when playing playground baseball and drinking out of their garden hose when we were thirsty. Didn't care who the neighbor was either. The idea of approaching a stranger's house to use their garden hose, as well as the idea of playing baseball at a public playground all day, have also been lost on today's youth. Then again I never had forums like this to babble on in my youth either.
I then went to Hy Vee and the Dollar Store, all are out of hand sanitizer. Hy Vee said they wont' get a new shipment until Thursday

368 people died in Italy today from the coronavirus. If you extrapolate that to the population of the United States, that is approximately 2,000 people. That is a lot of people for one day, regardless of what rate it is.

I hope we don't get to the level that they have it in Italy. But the measures that are being taken today are done in an effort to avoid that situation. This is not hype.

I liked the idea that I heard earlier, a 2 week mandatory self quarantine. The only people allowed out of the homes are public safety officials and health care workers. While it may not prevent the virus from spreading it sure in the heck would slow it down significantly.

I am. I would not want to experience it, especially since they have no cure for it and you would feel pretty crappy for a while. I have been wearing gloves everywhere I go now, even if I'm inside and I have been washing my hands a lot. The skin on my hands is getting pretty dried out.

Here is a link to a news story about a woman in Colorado who caught the virus while traveling. She explains what symptoms she felt and went through. It's pretty interesting.

https://kdvr.com/news/coronavirus/c...ent-speaks-out-shares-her-symptoms-and-story/
Nope

I answered no just because. I'm 58, good shape, and I think if I get it, so be it. I just came from the store. All hand sanitizer, gone. Aloe, gone, rubbing alcohol, gone. Plenty of toilet paper though. Every fucking aisle I went down....covid-19 was on the minds of everyone. Yes, it's bad. I'm not trying to make light of it. But you also have to life your life not being afraid. It wouldn't surprise me a bit that a 65 year old co-worker will come up with a reason to self-quarantine. This gal worries about everything. Ugh

DES MOINES, Iowa (KWWL) – "The mayor of Des Moines has declared a state of emergency, a move that would prohibit gatherings of more than 250 people on public grounds.

According to the Iowa City Press-Citizen, Des Moines Mayor Frank Cownie signed the proclamation Sunday. This follows Governor Kim Reynolds announcement of the state's first case of “community spread” in the novel coronavirus. “Community spread” means COVID-19 has spread from an unknown source and isn't linked to travel as other cases in the state have been.

State code allows Iowa mayors to “"take command of the police and govern the city by proclamation, upon making a determination that a time of emergency or public danger exist." Cownie is given the same powers as the county sheriff.

The proclamation forces the cancellation of the city's 2020 St. Patrick's Day Parade, which was scheduled for Tuesday in downtown.

It does not bar gatherings on private land, however Cownie urged people to also avoid large gatherings in private for their own safety.

As of Saturday, March 14, there were 18 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in five counties in Iowa. The only cases reported are in Carroll, Dallas, Harrison, Johnson and Pottawattamie Counties."

I'm a healthcare person (pharmacist) who currently works in Long Term Care (nursing home medications).

While not to be taken lightly, COVID-19 has been way way way blown out of proportion by mainstream media and social media.

I'm "old" enough to vividly remember the following:

Swine Flu of 1976 (amounted to nothing)
West Nile Virus of 1999/2000
SARS of 2003 (which was another strain of coronavirus)
H1N1 (swine flu again) in 2009
Ebola in 2013
And of course, I'm right smack dab in the middle of the 'regular' influenza fight every year.

Mankind made it through all of these supposed pandemics. And without all the hysteria.

Temporary de-socialization, on-going proper hygiene and the elixir of time are the three key elements in riding this out. The virulent exposure window will pass. Life will move on. Relax and enjoy it.

Last edited:
I'm a healthcare person (pharmacist) who currently works in Long Term Care (nursing home medications).

While not to be taken lightly, COVID-19 has been way way way blown out of proportion by mainstream media and social media.

Ebola in 2013
And of course, I'm right smack dab in the middle of the 'regular' influenza fight every year.

Mankind made it through all of these supposed pandemics. And without all the hysteria.

Temporary de-socialization, on-going proper hygiene and the elixir of time are the three key elements in riding this out. The virulent exposure window will pass. Life will move on. Relax and enjoy it.
While the vast majority of people who do contact this will survive it, perhaps there is something truly lethal out there that, if released, could wipe out one half to three quarters of the world's population.

And this is a good dress rehearsal for preparing for the unthinkable. That's about the only way I can approach it now. The Ohio governor just said he is prepared to end the school year. The Illinois governor is ripping federal officials for "forcing state level government to go this alone with no guidance" or something to that effect.

My wife is a relationship manager for Accel Entertainment in Illinois. The vast majority of her accounts are bars and restaurants. Her bosses are probably discussing contingency plans as we speak, , so this has hit home for us.

Last edited:
While the vast majority of people who do contact this will survive it, perhaps there is something truly lethal out there that, if released, could wipe out one half to three quarters of the world's population.

And this is a good dress rehearsal for preparing for the unthinkable. That's about the only way I can approach it now. The Ohio governor just said he is prepared to end the school year. The Illinois governor is ripping federal officials for "forcing state level government to go this alone with no guidance" or something to that effect.

100% agree with that statement. This minimal "crisis" has been an excellent non-table-top exercise in containing something as small as 20 nanometres (nm; 0.0000008 inch) to 250–400 nm. Federal, State, and Local agencies will have dusted off their crisis books and hopefully re-written them by the time this is over.

Ebola in 2013

None of those outbreaks had anywhere near the overall potential effect that COVID is having. It's irresponsible to downplay the concerns.
Data show that cases are still growing exponentially in the US. Until the curve bends we have a big problem.
And this notion that "I don't care if I get it because I can ride it out" is complete BS. There's a high chance that if you get it you'll also give it to someone else. And it's very clear now that it's highly contagious before symptoms show.
It's time for us to be responsible and isolate for real.

None of those outbreaks had anywhere near the overall potential effect that COVID is having. It's irresponsible to downplay the concerns.
Data show that cases are still growing exponentially in the US. Until the curve bends we have a big problem.
And this notion that "I don't care if I get it because I can ride it out" is complete BS. There's a high chance that if you get it you'll also give it to someone else. And it's very clear now that it's highly contagious before symptoms show.
It's time for us to be responsible and isolate for real.
60 million people got H1N1 with over 12,000 deaths. Turn your TV off. ;)

Gee....the Iowa boys basketball tourney just concluded, good attendance throughout, and I don't see DM officials piling up stacks of bodies to burn near the Des Moines River.

They only allowed spectators the first day, after that each team was only allowed to bring 100 spectators and this included cheerleaders, manager, and coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts