Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good idea, lets leave it up to the corporations who always put the health and care of their workers first - like Tyson Foods for example /s
Good idea, lets leave it up to the corporations who always put the health and care of their workers first - like Tyson Foods for example /s
When our governor's bragmthat their citizens are "safe at home" let's hope they're correct. They may be safer from the virus. But they may be at a much higher risk to everything else. And uncertain times may only exascerbate certain stress around the home.

I'm surprised Illinois of all places would expose the truth. I imagine she'll be added to the unemployment figures soon...

Saw this last night as well...things that make you go hmmmm.

Everyday they are finding more and more people have antibodies for the virus. (They've already had it), which is what I've thought for awhile...we had influenza A like bug whip through my family like a tornado back in early January, nothing terrible, but definitely coughing and fevers and I would almost bet my paycheck that's what it was.

It started with my nephew coughing all over at the holidays, my brother said doctors didn't know what it was, tested negative for flu. It spread like a wildfire we all got it, but symptoms didn't last much longer than a week and weren't terrible. My parents took longer to recover, I remember my Mom saying she was sick and tired of being sick and tired, maybe 3 or 4 weeks recovery for her(68 years old).

Just thought I'd share with you guys, hope everyone is staying healthy out there in hawkeye land, try to stay positive and don't believe everything the news media tells you!

Support your local economies and let's get the greatest country in the world opened back up! Cheers.

I guess my thoughts on the Tik Tok videos are that nurses need ways to handle their stress. If it means spending a few minutes during a shift screwing off and making a video then so be it. Coping with stress is part of staying healthy and if that's what is needed for them to stay on top of things then so be it. Regardless of whether its "acceptable" or a bad look to everyone in the profession at a time like this, they're doing something that you wouldn't catch me dead doing (no pun intended) so whatever they want to do to stay sane I'm all for it.

Saw this last night as well...things that make you go hmmmm.

Everyday they are finding more and more people have antibodies for the virus. (They've already had it), which is what I've thought for awhile...we had influenza A like bug whip through my family like a tornado back in early January, nothing terrible, but definitely coughing and fevers and I would almost bet my paycheck that's what it was.

It started with my nephew coughing all over at the holidays, my brother said doctors didn't know what it was, tested negative for flu. It spread like a wildfire we all got it, but symptoms didn't last much longer than a week and weren't terrible. My parents took longer to recover, I remember my Mom saying she was sick and tired of being sick and tired, maybe 3 or 4 weeks recovery for her(68 years old).

Just thought I'd share with you guys, hope everyone is staying healthy out there in hawkeye land, try to stay positive and don't believe everything the news media tells you!

Support your local economies and let's get the greatest country in the world opened back up! Cheers.

My family did to and around the same time. It makes me wonder if we've already had a variation of the that flu.

I'm surprised Illinois of all places would expose the truth. I imagine she'll be added to the unemployment figures soon...

There is possibly some political impacts of how they are reporting COVID death but the old saying, "follow the money", as well. There was a reporter at the daily news conference the other day asking Mnuchin if the federal relief package direct to states, which is just starting to be discussed, would by tied to the number of cases and/or deaths. Think about it, Illinois is the state must vulnerable to any revenue shortfalls, they are already just one notch up from "junk" status on their bonds, three or four levels worse than the next worst state.

It's always been the plan to start doing antibody tests and it was always the plan to make the results public. You act like they accidentally let the cat out of the bag on something that was supposed to be kept a secret.

As far as more people having it vs lower death rate goes.

It's really good for the people who contract the virus because they have a better chance of living.

It's really bad for any hope of containing the virus because it's much more contagious than originally thought.

It's really good for getting to the point of hurd immunity quicker.

It's irrelevant for the total death numbers we should expect to see.

Does anyone disagree with any of those points?

I guess my thoughts on the Tik Tok videos are that nurses need ways to handle their stress. If it means spending a few minutes during a shift screwing off and making a video then so be it. Coping with stress is part of staying healthy and if that's what is needed for them to stay on top of things then so be it. Regardless of whether its "acceptable" or a bad look to everyone in the profession at a time like this, they're doing something that you wouldn't catch me dead doing (no pun intended) so whatever they want to do to stay sane I'm all for it.
My thoughts is those videos come from the thousands of hospitals that are slow as hell right now. Not from the handful that are overwhelmed.

There is possibly some political impacts of how they are reporting COVID death but the old saying, "follow the money", as well. There was a reporter at the daily news conference the other day asking Mnuchin if the federal relief package direct to states, which is just starting to be discussed, would by tied to the number of cases and/or deaths. Think about it, Illinois is the state must vulnerable to any revenue shortfalls, they are already just one notch up from "junk" status on their bonds, three or four levels worse than the next worst state.
It's possible that it's for financial gains for the state. It's also possible that's just the way you count deaths. What percentage of the 50,000 deaths were on their de as th beds before they caught COVID? I assume it's such I minute number that it doesn't really change the total number enough to matter. Over 40,000 people died with COVID in the last month. Does it really matter if you take out the "already on their death bed" cases and it drops to 35,000 in a month?

It's possible that it's for financial gains for the state. It's also possible that's just the way you count deaths. What percentage of the 50,000 deaths were on their de as th beds before they caught COVID? I assume it's such I minute number that it doesn't really change the total number enough to matter. Over 40,000 people died with COVID in the last month. Does it really matter if you take out the "already on their death bed" cases and it drops to 35,000 in a month?

I think we agree it does not matter at all for the people that die or how they died. My point is that if Congress ties a relief package to the states for revenue shortfalls based on # of cases or # of COVID deaths than it would be to the states advantage to inflate the numbers. We'll see in the coming weeks how that washes out. Consistency in reporting state by state (and country by country) is pretty subjective which I think is the point in your second sentence. I lived in Illinois for 21 years and know how these type of "opportunities", as Rahm would call them, drive their behavior.

I'm also in the boat of hating anything the government forces upon us. But then I also big time agree with your post too. The truth is, the government has no business forcing things upon us as long as we aren't hurting anyone else. Does that pertain to a lockdown? On one side, you can say you aren't hurting anyone else because they can always self isolate themselves and they are hurting themselves if they don't. On the other hand, you are putting essential workers at a higher risk by not social distancing yourself. Is that enough for a mandate? I honestly don't know the answer.

Question. Is being fat hurting others? Most in the past would say no, but in terms of insurance rates yes. Covid 19 has made the numbers exponential.

Should the Govt mandate diet with tax incentives? Allow lower insurance rates?

You could make the case about donorcycle helmets as well.

Agree.

I also think if the shoe was on the other foot, and almost half the deaths were say in Wyoming, not in New York and that media center, New York would probably be looking at opening soon. They have had the subway system open the whole time and that has been a huge contributor to them being the largest hot spot in the U.S. by far. The state by state phased in approach to re-opening makes sense to me.

I know the subways and buses in NYC being open sounds very odd but are they limiting ridership at all times so that people can be 6 feet apart. I dont know but then again there are not a lot of people going to work etc in NYC so I think ridership numbers would be way down.

Yesterday was the lowest death total in two weeks with under 1500.

I saw that. And then it soared the Tuesday and Wednesday. I think it almost hit 3,000 on Tuesday. Same thing happened a few weeks back. There were a couple days where the numbers looked to be leveling off a bit and then it jumps up.

Question. Is being fat hurting others? Most in the past would say no, but in terms of insurance rates yes. Covid 19 has made the numbers exponential.

Should the Govt mandate diet with tax incentives? Allow lower insurance rates?

You could make the case about donorcycle helmets as well.

Life insurance rates can vary by health, weigth, smoking etc. Getting health insurance should not matter about preexisting conditions but sick people may have to pay higher rates.

I know the subways and buses in NYC being open sounds very odd but are they limiting ridership at all times so that people can be 6 feet apart. I dont know but then again there are not a lot of people going to work etc in NYC so I think ridership numbers would be way down.
Subway volumes are down over 90% now ... but even with those low volumes the 6 foot rule is really not being observed very well. This social worker who works in a NY hospital put together a good video showing that and what she faces.

I think we agree it does not matter at all for the people that die or how they died. My point is that if Congress ties a relief package to the states for revenue shortfalls based on # of cases or # of COVID deaths than it would be to the states advantage to inflate the numbers. We'll see in the coming weeks how that washes out. Consistency in reporting state by state (and country by country) is pretty subjective which I think is the point in your second sentence. I lived in Illinois for 21 years and know how these type of "opportunities", as Rahm would call them, drive their behavior.

I think it's pretty universal now that if you die and test positive for COVID, they count you. I would hope exceptions would be if someone dies in an accident. But I assume those people wouldn't be tested anyway. You also got to assume that most people that died on their death beds would probably die anyway if they were one step from their death beds. The point is, where do you draw the line for counting them. If you don't count them it would underinflate the numbers. If you count them it underinflates them. People just need to understand that the numbers aren't an exact reflection to how many actually died from COVID. But at the same time, people need to understand that they are fairly close and it's not like they are doing it for conspiracy theory reasons. It's simple, count all COVID cases so people don't have to make judgement calls.

Here's what Georgia is reopening:

Friday, April 24

• Gyms and fitness centers
  • bowling alleys
  • body art studios
  • barbers, cosmetologists, and hair designers
  • nail care artists
  • estheticians and their respective schools
  • massage therapists
Monday, April 27

Subject to specific social distancing and sanitation mandates, Gov. Kemp named another list of businesses that can reopen.

• Theaters
  • private social clubs
  • restaurant dine-in service

I think I will fly down and get a haircut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts