Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rajiv Shah is the president of the Rockefeller Foundation. Some of his background and education and then I will post their plans for getting back to work etc:

He graduated with honors, Phi Beta Kappa, from the University of Michigan with a Bachelor of Science in Economics. At Michigan, he was awarded the Otto Graf Scholarship, given to one student university-wide for leadership excellence and academic distinction. He went on to earn a Master of Science in Health Economics from the University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School of Business and a Doctor of Medicine from the University of Pennsylvania, Perelman School of Medicine. While a grad student, he created Project Impact for South Asian Americans, a non-profit organization through which he raised small dollar donations for his new community service organization. Additionally, while studying at the Wharton School of Business, Shah was awarded a $500,000 grant from U.S. Healthcare to develop econometric tools to improve hospital efficiency. From these early experiences he learned that ability to raise resources is critical to any organizations success. Shah also spent time at the London School of Economics where he earned a general course certificate in economics. During the 2000 Gore-Lieberman Presidential Campaign, Shah was a health policy advisor and research associate. He also served as a member of Governor Ed Rendell's (D-PA) transition committee on health.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajiv_Shah#Background,_education_and_early_career

This is well said, I've been saying (not here really) that while there is so much "bad" coming from this pandemic, there will be some good that comes out of it. It could have been much worse. Imagine a virus that kills 10% of the infected instead of 1-3%. That isn't impossible in the future. It will hopefully open people's eyes about the medical industry and how we weren't set up to help large amounts of people. When rural hospitals are floundering, hopefully it shows that they might be a necessity. It showed that moving production overseas of goods like PPE, while more effective at creating a profit, creates shortages for Americans.

Most importantly it shows that we are all in this together, any action we take will have an effect on others. While it's especially true during this pandemic, it will also be true after the virus subsides.

Yeah, someone posted a chart on here much earlier that Bird Flu kills at about a 90% rate but luckily it hardly transmits to humans and right now is not very infectious, LUCKILY. You may remember bird flu outbreaks where huge stocks of birds were killed to stop the spread because in birds it was highly infectious and highly lethal.

Rajiv Shah during an interview today put forth the Rockefeller plan to start opening up society. He has fought outbreaks in Africa, been top scienctist at Dept of Ag, and I posted his background:

$100 Billion dollars to identify, test, get people back to work etc

1. Use Fed direction to get unused microbiology labs going because he says about 2/3s are not being used

2. ramp up testing supplies production, supply chain,

3. Fed level help in reimbursement for developing vaccine and meds for patients, and healthcare costs

4. data backbone to hold and give info and trends around the country

He says why haven't we got going on a centralized, planned effort to manage this illness.

I found this very interesting and I paraphrase and almost quotes "what we do not have is the worlds best health care system by far, it is middling in its outcomes, system is only very good for acute care of those people with the right access via insurance and money."

Lmao I doubt you get paid more than me, I do just fine. I'm not complaining at all about my wages - I'm pointing out the insane inequity in this country. You mentioned other countries that are worse than the US, funny, are you just guessing or do you have some data that shows Saudi Arabia, North Korea and Venezuela are worse than the US? There's 8 countries that have more inequality than the US, and only one of yours is on the list. The one that is? China. See any similarities between our countries? Tons of corruption between politicians and corporations. Same thing here.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...e-widest-gaps-between-rich-and-poor/39510157/

I'm probably the least religious person on this forum, but why do people not listen to Jesus' words when he taught that we should use our financial resources to help the poor and needy through benevolence? Of all his teachings it seems the most convenient one to ignore, especially here in America. Or is it just that people don't want the government re-allocating money? Honest question. Obviously allowing people like Bezoz and others to donate as he wishes out of fear from eternal damnation hasn't worked so far. Yes I agree people should be rewarded for their hard work, their ideas and their ambition. I work with people like this every day. I also work with a family who spent their entire lives working incredibly hard and went bankrupt when their child got cancer. There should be more safety nets for people. Our country can afford it.

Don't tell me "well if you work hard and don't do drugs you can make it to the middle class." I'd love to watch you go to Flint Michigan, Forest Park in Detroit or Selma Alabama and try to spread that message. For 99% of these people there is no way out.

Here's a fun video that compares wealth using grains of rice. Keep in mind that 200 million people in this country have one grain of rice or less, likely including you:

Those people you mention are probably raised by their parents telling them there is no way out. They're raised to believe they have no chance at success so they don't even try. Anyone with a good work ethic (especially guys with construction) can go out and make a decent living.

I found this very interesting from Dr. Rajiv Shah and I paraphrase and almost quotes "what we do not have is the worlds best health care system by far, it is middling in its outcomes, system is only very good for acute care of those people with the right access via insurance and money."

I only re-post this because when I said the global measures of our healthcare system and hospitals is not #1 or even considered top 10. We have great doctors and very good hospitals but when experts rank the overall healthcare system which much of which is having access to healthcare and meds we rank in the 30's or 20's.

Shah, an expert in Public Health, an MD, a top worker in this field says this and I am not going to dispute him.

I am sure some will find rankings with the US in the top 5 but I would always want to look at all measures.

Those people you mention are probably raised by their parents telling them there is no way out. They're raised to believe they have no chance at success so they don't even try. Anyone with a good work ethic (especially guys with construction) can go out and make a decent living.

There seems to be a circle of and generation hand me down aspect to some real shitty parenting in this country. Abuse, both physical, verbal and emotional, is pretty common I would guess. Glad I had very good parents and I have tried to be the best I can. I can't imagine what it would feel like to have a parent say you were a POS or something like that.

I told my kids they had no choice that they were brought into this world but they need to lead their own lives, be in control, and try to do the best they can.

Those people you mention are probably raised by their parents telling them there is no way out.

Good point in showing the deck is stacked against them from the start. Are you a lifetime construction worker? Do you know what that does to your body?

You just did.

I forget to mention, blaming just the far left or far right for most of the country's ills is part of the problem. ;)
I did as well.

But I won't again. I just got admonished for it, just like I got admonished about using the term "sheep" about two weeks ago. Your comment, and you were correct, was not to align yourself with the sheep, you can do better. I know exactly to whom that was directed.:)

I'm already finding myself limiting my participation in this thread and trying to concentrate on the sports threads. It's too easy to get sucked into endless, senseless lowest common denominator arguments on this thread, and I find talking about sports more enjoyable anyway.

There seems to be a circle of and generation hand me down aspect to some real shitty parenting in this country. Abuse, both physical, verbal and emotional, is pretty common I would guess. Glad I had very good parents and I have tried to be the best I can. I can't imagine what it would feel like to have a parent say you were a POS or something like that.

I told my kids they had no choice that they were brought into this world but they need to lead their own lives, be in control, and try to do the best they can.

Great philosophy... As a coach I always find myself telling my kids "anything you want you better be ready to work for because there's always going to be someone you're competing against for whatever it is you want". I hate making everything about competition, but I found that doing so with my oldest (who is the most competitive person I know) has helped him just as much on the field/court as it has in the classroom. The kid will be the first to tell you that he doesn't like school and his classes suck, but he'll also tell you that he's made it a long term to goal to finish toward the top of his class simply because he doesn't want to "lose" academically.

Great philosophy... As a coach I always find myself telling my kids "anything you want you better be ready to work for because there's always going to be someone you're competing against for whatever it is you want". I hate making everything about competition, but I found that doing so with my oldest (who is the most competitive person I know) has helped him just as much on the field/court as it has in the classroom. The kid will be the first to tell you that he doesn't like school and his classes suck, but he'll also tell you that he's made it a long term to goal to finish toward the top of his class simply because he doesn't want to "lose" academically.

And in our normal day to day lives and activities most of what we do is not competitive but cooperative. At home, at work, in school we have to cooperate to get things done. But humans are competitive in spirit as our many animals because at a very base level each organism does compete to survive.

I am not sure what sociologists say or experts in human nature but maybe that is why we play competitive activities, games, sports, spelling bees etc to satisfy that part of our nature.

If our human ancestors did not compete against rival groups or sometimes among themselves they might not have survived and flourished. The way ancient humans hunted in groups was cooperative and you might have to compete though to get your share of the spoils.

There is fear and risk in everyday life. What people really fear is that God is the only one who knows when the plug is going to be pulled.

Some deal with that better than others.

Well, Northside, I have lived a pretty long life. My theory has always been “I do not want to die of something dumb.” Seems to have worked so far.

Good point in showing the deck is stacked against them from the start. Are you a lifetime construction worker? Do you know what that does to your body?
Carpet install for 24 years now. It's not good on the body at all. But neither is sitting at a desk all day. I take joint supplements that help a ton. It also keeps me in good shape which helps. But I'm definitely banking on technology advancement when I'm old with a messed up body.

Springtime. Just taken.

Attachments

• GIF-200421_124925.gif
    GIF-200421_124925.gif
    895.6 KB · Views: 5
  • GIF-200421_124925.gif
    GIF-200421_124925.gif
    895.6 KB · Views: 3
John Stossel with some interesting thoughts on Corona ...

I like that video. There is definitely a line that doesn't need to be crossed with social distancing. I think Iowa is going a great job of not crossing it. From what the video says, other states aren't doing that good of a job. If Michigan is really that dumb about it, I'd be out there protesting too.

John Stossel with some interesting thoughts on Corona ...

There are two things in the world that you can't legislate...fairness and common sense.

While I do agree that social isolation has been important to flatten the curve, the wording and application of the majority of these laws are frequently absurd and borderline ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts