Are you personally worried about getting the Coronavirus?

Are you personally worried about catching the Coronavirus?

• Yes

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 59 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alternate facts?

You need help, dude. Serious help.

I'm done. Don't give me reason to send you packing.

And remember the Brian Finley I mentioned? Dude is a wiz. You won't be coming back under another user name. Trust me.
He has not been banned. It takes a lot to get banned.

Wasn’t there a Josh Brown on here? I called him out and he left voluntarily, supposedly.

I don’t want to ban people. I don’t want to play the heavy. There’s some good conversation in this thread during a time that’s difficult on a lot of folks. I just wish some posters wouldn’t go over the top.

BTW, this thread will be locked and we’ll go back to the long-standing rules as soon as Hawkeye sports come back, if not sooner.

That’s so funny to read because we have posters doing the opposite of TK with the same intentions? This thread should of been NUKED a long time ago when it was spun into political by 82, Finn and Others I listed. Seriously this thread turned into a joke eons ago.

Only a couple posters have kept the thread somewhat readable PC and Mn for sure

Last edited:
Antibody test study results suggest COVID-19 cases likely much higher than reported
The testing is a joint venture by USC and Los Angeles County.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/resul...id=clicksource_4380645_5_three_posts_card_hed

The quick read is that LA County may have 30-55 times the number of people with covid that what is confirmed by current testing. So the county has perhaps 220,000 to 440,000 cases instead of the current official count which is much, much lower than the early April count of about 8,000.

Again, as many have said this is both good and bad news. Bad that there are probably many more infectious people to spread more virus.

Good that many of the people are past there infectious state and not shedding virus and they could probably lead a normal social/work life.

Antibody test study results suggest COVID-19 cases likely much higher than reported

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/resul...id=clicksource_4380645_5_three_posts_card_hed

The quick read is that LA County may have 30-55 times the number of people with covid that what is confirmed by current testing. So the county has perhaps 220,000 to 440,000 cases instead of the current official count which is much, much lower than the early April count of about 8,000.

Again, as many have said this is both good and bad news. Bad that there are probably many more infectious people to spread more virus.

Good that many of the people are past there infectious state and not shedding virus and they could probably lead a normal social/work life.
That's an intereresting development for sure. I find it more good then bad. We need to stay the hell away from Nursing homes and hospitals and other places where the more elderly folks are and not put them at as much risk. That in and of itself would be huge. But the fact so many folks have had it but it's not a big deal is good news to me.

All this talk of states looking to open back up already is just stupid. I get the financial impact. I do. But what's worse opening it up and going through all this again but for longer? Or holding tight and seeing this through?

I saw on twitter Steve Dace compared Michigan to Sweden. He said they have roughly the same number of people. He acknowledged that Sweden had less per square mile but said their biggest city was bigger than Michigan's. They both had their first case at roughly the same time. Yet Sweden's numbers were less than Michigan's.

Some of the responses were interesting. One said Sweden's unemployment is up to 10% so they are struggling economically too. A few talked about the health care being worse here (not sure I buy that being a valid reason because there isn't much of a treatment for COVID yet and the quality of healthcare has nothing to do with the number of positive cases). A couple people mentioned that a lot of people fly into Michigan from China and speculated that there probably isn't a lot of China to Sweden travel.

In my opinion, the last one is the major reason why the US got hit so hard and places like Sweden haven't. Same with places like Italy, France, and the UK. Those are places you would guess have travel from China. How many seeds get planted to start an outbreak is a very significant number for how fast a virus spreads. They should probably take a closer look at which places are hit the hardest compared to which places have the most travel to China and Europe. I would be surprised if there wasn't a pretty big connection.

But either way, think about what Dace is implying. He's basically saying our numbers would be better without social distancing. That's a ridiculous assessment. Clearly there are more important factors going on with Sweden. Otherwise, that would mean it's true that there would be less spread if you continue to go about your life than if you social distance. There is literally no way that's true. You can't spread a virus more by being around each other less. Can you?

There are two deaths going on or what the politicians are worrying about now. 1) The death of a human. 2) The death of families. By that I mean economically killing people to the point where they can't dig out putting families at risk.

That is a real thing as well and the government knows they are at a point they have to open the country back up and take a chance. It sucks having to sacrifice human lives to save the other and cause less collateral damage. Sucks indeed!

I used to be 30% sure I had it weeks ago. As time went on that went up to 50%, then 70%. I'm pretty sure I had the virus but lucked out and did not get the bacterial pneumonia. Well 85% now.

That's an intereresting development for sure. I find it more good then bad. We need to stay the hell away from Nursing homes and hospitals and other places where the more elderly folks are and not put them at as much risk. That in and of itself would be huge. But the fact so many folks have had it but it's not a big deal is good news to me.

All this talk of states looking to open back up already is just stupid. I get the financial impact. I do. But what's worse opening it up and going through all this again but for longer? Or holding tight and seeing this through?

I agree. The best approach may be locking down nursing homes, large essential plants, etc.. like you state and let the virus run it's course. Well, this hoping someone with antibodies won't get it again or it morphs. That may be the best balance.

The government may have learned this from this situation going forward.

Of course it is, until there is proper testing we will never know how many people are walking around with this virus and don't even know it.

That’s so funny to read because we have posters doing the opposite of TK with the same intentions? This thread should of been NUKED a long time ago when it was spun into political by 82, Finn and Others I listed. Seriously this thread turned into a joke eons ago.

I hope it doesn't get nuked now, it's gotten entertaining the past couple of days. :)

I made sure to mention he wasn’t the only culprit. And there was no way this thread would avoid political discussion if we’re talking about COVID-19. I tried early on to limit it to no avail. The virus has turned political in the country.

I used to be 30% sure I had it weeks ago. As time went on that went up to 50%, then 70%. I'm pretty sure I had the virus but lucked out and did not get the bacterial pneumonia. Well 85% now.
I was talking to my brother in law this past weekend and he was telling me he got sick as shit in December. He had all the same symptoms of COVID and was back and forth on whether to go to the doctor. Finally he decided to go and tested positive for influenza A. He told me that had he not gone in, he would be convinced without a doubt he had COVID.

I made sure to mention he wasn’t the only culprit. And there was no way this thread would avoid political discussion if we’re talking about COVID-19. I tried early on to limit it to no avail. The virus has turned political in the country.

Those leaning to a certain side can’t help to try to destroy that said person by any means necessary and now will use a pandemic with no vaccine now as that Avenue. If you were to flip the script on 2009 with H1N1 those same people saying this is way worse a virus and that was different etc.. and It was!! but sadly those same individuals would attack with the same visceral intent as we are seeing right now back than. It’s Truly disgusting what is happening in our country!!!!

I for one am glad you're being lenient and am trying my best to avoid political posts. I do need to try harder to avoid ripping on TKs intelligence tho. I'm probably a lot of the reason he's been lashing out with name calling more lately. It's just so hard not to say it because his take is soooooo bad.

Those leaning to a certain side can’t help to try to destroy that said person by any means necessary and now will use a pandemic with no vaccine now as that Avenue. If you were to flip the script on 2009 with H1N1 those same people saying this is way worse a virus and that was different etc.. and It was!! but sadly those same individuals would attack with the same visceral intent as we are seeing right now back than. It’s Truly disgusting what is happening in our country!!!!

I for one will never blame a president for a virus. If it wants to spread it's going to spread.

I was talking to my brother in law this past weekend and he was telling me he got sick as shit in December. He had all the same symptoms of COVID and was back and forth on whether to go to the doctor. Finally he decided to go and tested positive for influenza A. He told me that had he not gone in, he would be convinced without a doubt he had COVID.

I was the opposite. I was home with my 13 yr old son who had symptoms. I ran him to urgent care and he tested pos for Influenza-A. I the next week had the very same course of symptoms. I went to Urgent care and presumed I was going to checked and pos for Influenza. My test came back neg for both A & B. The provider stated that I most likely have a virus that will act just like Influenza. I actually spiked a higher temp than my son. Had chills at night, aches, fatigued, etc.. The week after or 2 or maybe even 3 wks had this nagging cough and SOB in deep inspirations along with coughing up crap. Of course they didn't test for COVID at that time or even could have.

I just left knowing I had this virus. Now was it? I will never know but it could have been lingering around. Keep in mind I work on campus in Iowa City where the majority of Asian students congregate during the day. This was several weeks after Christmas break leave. If there were students studying abroad who came back from China on leave............just saying. This all happen to me mid February.

The country has changed an awful lot in 11 years. Middle ground is disappearing as we speak (or type).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts