Are you on the moral high ground if you send out fewer offers?

CP87

There definitely seems to be an advantage to being a first offer. But if you are only the first offer because you offer everyone under the sun, does it really count as a first offer? Can recruits recognize that? Should Iowa use that as negative-recruiting against other schools (notably Neb, ISU, Minn)?

It is an interesting dilemma. Would you rather see Iowa go the Nebraska route, or maintain their current practice of deliberate evaluation prior to an offer?

This is just another "shiny object" Iowa uses to distract from the fact that their recruiting is highly mediocre. So you made less offers than 90% of the FBS? Good for you. If that results in a class ranked near 40, do you think that was a successful strategy?

I think it matters. I have given reasons for this several times.
Say you are very good at your job, the difference between a head Hunter coming after you or having an employer come directly to you and want you to come to work for them is far far different than putting an ad in the paper and radio telling everyone to come apply.

I guess a better question is does it work? Looking at the chart provided, I don't see a big correlation between offers and 2018 CFP rankings. They seem to be all over the place. Just look at this years top teams in the CFP poll.

Top third in offers
Bama, Georgia, Michigan

Middle third in offers
Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn St

Bottom third in offers
Clemson, Oklahoma, Texas, Washington

I don't see any obvious advantage or disadvantage to making a lot of offers.

What matters too is what happens when a committed kid gets bumped because a prettier date later accepts an offer? Like asking 3 girls to Prom. One says yes right away, and then a second says yes later and you really wanted her, so you dump date 1 for date 2. Would like to see how often and what schools do that kind of crap.

Most schools use the "offer" as a sort of hand shake or hello. If the recruit reaches back out to said school, the school will take the time to learn more about that recruit and take commitments according to what they think they need. I don't have a problem with it.

It matters in the sense of if a school is as cavalier about throwing them out like TN is then how committed are they of sticking to it on their end if you commit early? I'd be curious to know how many schools yank offers away from kids as they begin having others commit behind em if they are getting someone better.

Iowa isn't immune to that a few years ago Iowa had offers out to and commitments from 3 different qbs. But yet as signing day got closer yanked one of them from that Benneventi kid from IL I believe after he had a subpar SR year compared to the other 2. Put yourself in that kids shoes... It's for things like that happening that don't allow for me to blame the kids one bit in changing their minds. The fact that schools can and do do that has to be in the back of all these kids minds too. Do what's best for you and don't look back

A better answer to the OP would involve looking at the number of "offers" extended that were then rescinded because a team then filled their quota. How many kids thought they had a scholarship opportunity...only to have it disappear?

Also curious how many of those number involve just sending every 4* and 5* an offer whether you really have a shot with them or not.

Last edited:
How do you build any relationship with 440 kids with a small coaching staff?
They must have underlings below the coaches too... There isn't enough time in the day for as you said the coaching staffs being able to have any regular communication with that many kids plus taking care of who all they already have is impossible.

They must have underlings below the coaches too... There isn't enough time in the day for as you said the coaching staffs being able to have any regular communication with that many kids plus taking care of who all they already have is impossible.

You don't. I'd guess in some cases, schools blanket email guys off some National recruiting list. What's surprising to me is that some of the programs pretty high up aren't those you'd consider "desperate". (others clearly are...we know the names).

No, the Argument for fewer offers is stupid.
Send them out, you get and offer, you get an offer

Do you send out 375 as junk mail to most kids or do you send out 200 and really follow up and develop relationships with 100 or so?

I did notice that Iowa many times the last two years was the first to offer many of the athletes. That may be more beneficial in the long run.

I see Nebraska set up a lemonade stand when handing out LOI's and charged a nickel, which was the going rate when they won their last National Championship......Oh crap, so did ISU, right across the street.

I think there's something to be said about not throwing out offers you don't know or believe you can honor.

But beyond that, it's posturing. Some will say it shows how selective Iowa is, others will think we don't hit it hard enough. I do know Iowa only offers kids we are seriously interested in with at least some mutual interest, which is good enough for me.

Do you send out 375 as junk mail to most kids or do you send out 200 and really follow up and develop relationships with 100 or so?

I did notice that Iowa many times the last two years was the first to offer many of the athletes. That may be more beneficial in the long run.

Each team has what, 10 coaches, usually they recruit by area. So its not 200 some kids for one guy, that would be 20 per coach ( just for easy numbers). That's not an unreasonable amount to have solid connections with imo.

Latest posts