Are you on the moral high ground if you send out fewer offers?

Well, no surprise that Minnesota sent out 303 (top 20%). We know PJ can be cheesy like a used car salesman, but hear me out. Minnesota and many others are offering 5 and 4 star kids they probably won't get, but if you don't shoot you don't score. You take that same approach with targeted 3 star kids and before you know it, you're at 303. Making an offer will hopefully get you in the kid's consideration set. Then, you hope for a visit and a sit down with the dynamic PJ. Some kids will be turned off by his over the top pitch and boat rowing, but others might be sold.

As for building relationships - it's difficult to get this generation to communicate a word past - yup, nah, sup. The ones that respond or have been designated priority are pursued.

On a personal note, if I had a D1 kid, I'd make them visit every school that offered them and check out the full scene. Once there, Minneapolis' urban feel might appeal to some kids. That offer and PJ's passion might get them to commit. Same could be said for Iowa City's appeal and those wonderful facilities. But, if Ferentz is going to be conservative in recruiting...just like with X&Os, the Hawkeyes may be missing huge opportunities.
Yeah the thing about recruiting these kids that we don't know is how many preliminary convos have been had? I mean if KF hits up a kid or his HS coach and finds out in the first 5 mins that the kid is in no way interested then there's no reason for him to offer or take it any further right? Well for some they still would but some may not. Just because an offer wasn't made or made public doesn't necessarily mean the tires weren't kicked.

Well, no surprise that Minnesota sent out 303 (top 20%). We know PJ can be cheesy like a used car salesman, but hear me out. Minnesota and many others are offering 5 and 4 star kids they probably won't get, but if you don't shoot you don't score. You take that same approach with targeted 3 star kids and before you know it, you're at 303. Making an offer will hopefully get you in the kid's consideration set. Then, you hope for a visit and a sit down with the dynamic PJ. Some kids will be turned off by his over the top pitch and boat rowing, but others might be sold.

As for building relationships - it's difficult to get this generation to communicate a word past - yup, nah, sup. The ones that respond or have been designated priority are pursued.

On a personal note, if I had a D1 kid, I'd make them visit every school that offered them and check out the full scene. Once there, Minneapolis' urban feel might appeal to some kids. That offer and PJ's passion might get them to commit. Same could be said for Iowa City's appeal and those wonderful facilities. But, if Ferentz is going to be conservative in recruiting...just like with X&Os, the Hawkeyes may be missing huge opportunities.

Your kid wouldn't get much done. Say he had 25 offers. Good luck scheduling and making any sense of that.

You know the deal, once Iowa offers a kid, here come the others. Minny, ISU, Wiscy and others, jump in and follow up another with an offer cause they know the Hawkeyes have done their due diligence in evaluating a kid. Thats why Iowa likes to slow play some kids and ask them to be patient because they identified a diamond in the rough. It seems like pure laziness and inept recruiting just to throw that many offers out there. Identify the guys that fit, play it close to the vest and do the old slo-play and bingo! You find guys no one else ever see that are future stars. I.E. Josey Jewell, Chad Greenway, etc. This is the Iowa way and many programs respect our coaches ability to evaluate talent. Thats why they jump on a recruit as soon as we offer.

You can't possibly evaluate, get to know, get to know their family that many offers.
I'm not talking morals, I'm just saying, if you go to every bar and hit on every girl, sooner or later you will find one that is buying what you are selling.

As long as we are on the topic of recruiting, I can't remember this many recruits getting Hawk offers and sounding SINCERELY excited about it (not just the "blessed to receive my # offer from U of Iowa" quote). I think the whole NFL pipeline angle is really taking off with all of the media play Hockenson/Fant got this year. Kids from around the country really seem to know who we are.

If I was coach I would be looking at my needs and then offering every 4 and 5 star kid an offer, odds are in my favor that a dozen or more kids take interest. I would work on those kids while continue my two and three star back up efforts. Worse case scenario is I waste a few stamps and still end up with my traditional 9th in the Big Ten recruiting class.

So you offer 3 star girl and 3 star girl accepts date. Much later on in comes 4 star girl and gives you the look and says yes. Then you proceed to dump 3 star girl for the 4 star. Credibility lost.

You can't possibly evaluate, get to know, get to know their family that many offers.
I'm not talking morals, I'm just saying, if you go to every bar and hit on every girl, sooner or later you will find one that is buying what you are selling.

And you don't know if you are getting full on crazy person or what.

You know the deal, once Iowa offers a kid, here come the others. Minny, ISU, Wiscy and others, jump in and follow up another with an offer cause they know the Hawkeyes have done their due diligence in evaluating a kid.

It is a good theory, but is it true? It would be interesting to do some fact-checking and see how much overlap there is in the offers, as well as who offered first. Otherwise, it is just opinion.

It is a good theory, but is it true? It would be interesting to do some fact-checking and see how much overlap there is in the offers, as well as who offered first. Otherwise, it is just opinion.

I am guessing it is not true with ISU and Minny anymore. Those 2 schools are sending out so many offers, they probably beat us to the punch more often than not. I am sure schools like Wisc and MSU take notice when Iowa has offered someone, and we probably do the same when they offer.

Part of me thinks Nebraska is smart for offering every blue-chip kid out there. The other part thinks they're just a two-bit whore.
They’re stupid and desperate in doing that. I guarantee you schools like Iowa show that to kids when they’re working on someone with a Nebraska offer...

“Hey Billy, we know you got offered by Nebraska, but check this out...you’re one of over 400 players with an offer. They’re just throwing darts blindfolded and don’t care who they get, and they’ll have to turn down a lot of the kids who they made an offer to. They probably just watched a couple minutes of film on hudl and sent yours out with a hundred other ones. We don’t do that here. If we offer you it’s because we want you to come play football for us.

Now right down this hallway here, we’ll stop in quick and say hi to George Kittle and TJ. I think Josey was going to be in town this weekend too so we’ll swing by the weight room and check.”

I am guessing it is not true with ISU and Minny anymore. Those 2 schools are sending out so many offers, they probably beat us to the punch more often than not. I am sure schools like Wisc and MSU take notice when Iowa has offered someone, and we probably do the same when they offer.
Not to mention KF was the one coach who kept commenting how much recruiting has sped up. Meaning he was vocal about the process of evaluation and offering of younger and younger recruits. Why? Because we had to when the schools putting out 400 offers are also already putting out their scholarship limit for the 2022 class.
Let that sink in. A entire years scholarship limit has already been extended to freshman in highschool.
Let's get real. That's like the pros deciding who they are going to draft when a kid walks on to a college campus.

Last edited:
The argument is not that fewer offers makes you "better" or morally superior. It's that going to the other extreme looks pretty desperate and unprofessional. Throwing out 15-20 times more offers than you have available schollys is ridiculous. How could you possible know if you're getting the right kind of kid for your program...and how could the player reasonably know if it's going to be there for him when he decides.

Latest posts