CC and the Olympics

Zstatman

I think I read where the WNBA commissioner has stated that she would need to see how CC is playing before deciding if an Olympic roster spot should be found for her.

There are currently 12 roster spots, and all are filled.

An injury could open a spot and one has occurred. Brittany Griner has a fractured tow on her left foot and reports are saying she could be out weeks, which is getting into Olympic time. I would guess going to Paris is a big deal for BG, as Brittany is called, since it would be her first international travel since being incarcerated in Russia for 10 months. So, if she can play, she likely will. Just wanted to throw this out there for people to keep an eye on.

From the article

USA Basketball hasn't set a specific date to announce the team members, other than to say it won't be before June 1. The 2021 team was named on June 21, a little more than month before the United States' first Olympic game in Japan on July 27.

Because Clark wasn't at the April camp or any previous camp for the senior national team -- she has played on USA Basketball junior teams -- she has to make her case with her WNBA play. The Fever open the season Tuesday at Connecticut.

It is an interesting dynamic that Clark is pretty much auditioning for the Olympics as she starts her pro career. I think it goes without saying that she'd love to be apart of that. I hope she makes it an easy choice for them to take her. If she comes out guns blazing and averaging close to double doubles with 5 rebounds or more too then why wouldn't they take her?

I see the WNBA all star game is July 20 and the Olympics start July 26. Can they play in both? Seeems like a lot.

Would be an aggravated Mortal Sin to leave Caitlin off the Olympic roster

YARN | It's a mortal sin. | The Little Hours | Video gifs by quotes |  f0acc12e | 紗

I hate to say it, whether she earns it or not, it would be a PR nightmare if CC is left off the olympic team.

I am not saying she would need to start, but it would be great publicity for the WNBA if Clark is shooting her logo 3's at the Olympics.

Well, the olympic committee has made it's decision and decided to leave Caitlin Clark off the USA women's basketball team.

This could have been ratings gold for the TV networks covering the Olympics. Oh well, there is always 2028.

makes me laugh how clueless the people in charge of women's basketball are.

It's what happens when you get paid from the money of other sports and don't have any accountability

Long run probably better for Clark - but yet another example of how utterly clueless and head in the sand these people are.

Constantly missing the chance to grow their game - they just can't get out of their own way..

I'm sure there are a lot of people business wise and at the head of the Olympics that are pissed off.

Yeah, probably not going to watch the USA women's basketball in the Olympics

She is dominating the media BigTime right now

She is showing up on National Media TV right now

A lot of folk are calling her teammates and coach out for not supporting
her when she is subjected to nasty play

Caitlin had an outstanding game last night with a win at DC

The Fever are coming together and playing team ball

It's All Good, Lads

:cool:

Found this in article from ABC news

Based on her inclusion in the U.S. national team pool, Clark could be chosen as an alternate if one of the 12 players is injured and can't play. Anyone in the pool is eligible to be an alternate.

Found this in article from ABC news

Based on her inclusion in the U.S. national team pool, Clark could be chosen as an alternate if one of the 12 players is injured and can't play. Anyone in the pool is eligible to be an alternate.
I was wondering about this sort of thing. Hell the one gal is currently still hurt they have on and anything can happen the next month. I'm not sweating it.

Womens hoops can't seem to get out of their own way as far as decision making goes with their leadership. Would their have been some folks jilted had Clark made it onto the team over DT or someone else? Sure and I see that part of the debate. But ahead of this decision being made I'd have said it was 60/40 that they'd take her. There's so many good reasons to have done so. It's not like she'd have been the starting PG and played the most mins or anything close to that. But just being there woulda brought a lot of eye balls to it. They'd have promoted the shit out of her had they done so.

Their loss as far as I'm concerned. Clark will be just fine. It'll allow her to rest physically and mentally for awhile. Along with adding motivation to put a chip onto her shoulder.

Sounded like a team vote to me. And they thought they've got the team in place after several months and all are deserving (merit). That's fine.

Thing is all of those 'great players' could walk through an airport and nobody would know who they are. They're glorified gym teachers.

So they missed out on lots of eyes on the game. Their loss. CC and the other rookies who were in the tournament need a rest

I'll add this. With all of the insanity going on in the world right now, Paris does not sound like a safe place. Those who blow people up would likely think this is a great opportunity. If that is so, its good cc is homeside.

Sounded like a team vote to me. And they thought they've got the team in place after several months and all are deserving (merit). That's fine.

Thing is all of those 'great players' could walk through an airport and nobody would know who they are. They're glorified gym teachers.

So they missed out on lots of eyes on the game. Their loss. CC and the other rookies who were in the tournament need a rest

Who Are You - Wikipedia

I've heard of Caitlin Clark, but who the F... are You

I don't know ... as CC herself said, coulda gone either way. Real snub was the guard from Wings - Arike O.

Head scratchers who made it are the guard coming back from injury - Gray? Hasn't played yet this season but able to make the USA team? Also, Griner? Otherwise, Plum, Ionescu - both better guards than CC!

Also, international is more brutal than WNBA (if possible!). Tells me this is about experience, height, and ability to play physical ball. CC gets pushed around and frustrated WAAAY too much.

Not sweating it, nor does it seem is CC. She'll get her time. Until then, shoot better - hell, shoot, period rather than all those stupid passes. Take better care of the ball - ya can't be averaging 8-9 turnovers a game against the elite, physical competition, which is what world ball is all about.

I may be the outsider that thinks a few less games and less travel could benefit her. She's been going non-stop for what seems like eternity there won't be a complete stop, but at least she gets to catch her breath this way.

And Joey Chestnut is banned from the Nathan's glizzy gulping contest.

Then again sounds like Netflix is arranging a head to head with Chestnut and Kobayashi throw down set to stream on Labor Day.

Maybe we could get Clark v. Taurasi on Tubi or something.

Latest posts