Apathy has set in

As much frustration as apathy...........knowing little, if any, will change. The Ferentz succession plan is not progressing as planned and unfortunately may only lengthen the time Barta will give for the Ferentz's to turn it around for that one magical season to try to legitimize Brian's promotion.

As much frustration as apathy...........knowing little, if any, will change. The Ferentz succession plan is not progressing as planned and unfortunately may only lengthen the time Barta will give for the Ferentz's to turn it around for that one magical season to try to legitimize Brian's promotion.
And the vast majority of Iowa fans will fall for it hook, line, & sinker, just like they did after 2015.

Apathy is a good word. Another good word, though, was coined by Gary Dolphin. I could only listen on radio. After the Thorson interception, 3 and out and subsequent TD by NW, Dolphin said he was "befuddled". My wife observed that she didn't think anyone used that word anymore, and I laughed, saying it was probably the best word to describe not only this game, but the entire season as a whole. Thinking about it, and remembering how passionate I used to get, I found myself just shaking my head in bewilderment (another good word) after the game. Enjoyed a martini and promptly forgot about the 3rd forgettable game in a row. Curiosity (yet another good word to relate to this season) however, prompts me to wonder just how profound the dissension is on this team? Maybe that is the subject of another thread, but there has to be some cancer eating away at this team.

Have I missed the last four years?

These boards feel like November, 2014 all over again.

Anyone want to fill me in on what I've missed by sleeping the last four years?:)

I said this before, and I will say it again. After we won the Orange Bowl, I told myself and close friends that this is as high as Kirk will take us. I said he peaked as our coach after the Orange Bowl season, and he will never do better, which to this day he hasn't.

2009:
tumblr_mfpreqYpCw1rpeqp2o1_500.gif

I agree, it’s about to be a bad time for Hawkeye sports.

It’s not inconceivable to think we’ll be in the bottom of the BIG in a couple years as Kirk starts rebuild #4

It has BEEN a historically bad time for Hawkeye sports for years now! A while back, there were posts on Barta's athletic department bieng dead last in the B1G in overall chapionships since 2010 or so.

The root of the problem is.....the University of Iowa does not care about athletics, and certainly doesn’t care about winning. Sports are a “necessary evil” and only tolerated because of the money it brings in.

Look at Barta. Find me a worse AD in college who still has a job. He gives the most ridiculous contracts to Fran and Kirk, with bonuses that reward mediocrity. There is absolutely zero pressure for them to win. Despite continually underperforming, they are in no danger of losing their jobs.

The problem is deeper than Kirk and his stale brand of coaching. Until the University changes its stance on athletics, nothing will change. We need a dynamic AD who understands how important it is to play exciting styles of FB and BB. An AD who is not afraid to promote the University. An AD who understands that one of the best ways to bring attention to the University is by having winning FB and BB programs (and no, NIT bids and 6-7-8 win FB seasons don’t meet my definition of winning...I mean teams that compete for conference titles).

Just laughing as I basically posted the same thing in another thread just minutes before reading your post.

Maybe Kirk will grow some ethical gonads and call it quits at the end of the season for the good of the program. Seriously how can he look his players in the face at the beginning of each season and tell them our goal is to win a Big Ten Championship this year. TOTALLY unrealistic.

Since the end of the 2015/2016 season Iowa sports has stopped being fun. Iowa football has officially become yet again become stale and stagnant. The promise of what could be done in the years following the historic Rose Bowl season has been completely wasted. Every time it looks like this program takes a step forward, they then follow that up by taking two steps back.

The sad part is the basketball program is even a bigger mess right now than the football program is. This is year 9 for Fran and he has 3 NCAA appearances with 2 NCAA wins. I think even Lick could have gotten Iowa BB to 3 NCAA tournaments if we had given him 9 years at Iowa.

I will watch Iowa BB today and be completely unentertained by it. I will watch Iowa football the next two weeks and probably get little joy even if we beat Ill. and Nebby at this point, and won't be shocked if we lose both of them. At this point, apathy has officially set in, even for this eternal 1/2 glass full optimist.

From a few weeks ago...
Some of us understood our best chance at having a good offense was getting Brian into the OC spot. I was calling for this after the Rose Bowl.

No other OC hire would ever have been given the latitude from Kirk to do what Brian is doing, which is also why I always felt he would be the best OC for Iowa.

After we won the Orange Bowl, I told myself and close friends that this is as high as Kirk will take us. I said he peaked as our coach after the Orange Bowl season, and he will never do better, which to this day he hasn't.

But how great a job did he really do in '09?

A pretty good team, and a great bowl game (thanks mostly to #94!), but miracle finish after miracle finish was needed to get there! 2 blocked fg's to hold off UNI... 5 turnovers from (5-7) Michigan, but still needed the last one late to hold them off...walkoff TD to beat (6-7) MSU...and the all-time miracle w/ Indiana- 28 points in the 4th keyed by Sash's pinball interception.

But how great a job did he really do in '09?

A pretty good team, and a great bowl game (thanks mostly to #94!), but miracle finish after miracle finish was needed to get there! 2 blocked fg's to hold off UNI... 5 turnovers from (5-7) Michigan, but still needed the last one late to hold them off...walkoff TD to beat (6-7) MSU...and the all-time miracle w/ Indiana- 28 points in the 4th keyed by Sash's pinball interception.

Agreed - but that has been Iowa football after the 1st 2 yrs under KF - always a fine line - 6 min left and can win or lose

Listen to the last "Washed Up Walkons" podcast (Episode 6) - around the 40:00 mark til the end - I think gives a real insight about the type of player you have to be, to be successful at Iowa, your attitude, ethic and how much these guys love & respect their coaches. You may not agree with the philosophy, but these guys spell out real clear what it is.

Just laughing as I basically posted the same thing in another thread just minutes before reading your post.

Maybe Kirk will grow some ethical gonads and call it quits at the end of the season for the good of the program. Seriously how can he look his players in the face at the beginning of each season and tell them our goal is to win a Big Ten Championship this year. TOTALLY unrealistic.
I hear ya....I laugh too, except is isn’t funny.

Yes, I think Kirk should walk away. Unfortunately I believe Barta will then name Brian as head coach. This will really tick off fans, and will be the final straw that drives the program into the ground.

Either way, we’re screwed.

Since the end of the 2015/2016 season Iowa sports has stopped being fun. Iowa football has officially become yet again become stale and stagnant. The promise of what could be done in the years following the historic Rose Bowl season has been completely wasted. Every time it looks like this program takes a step forward, they then follow that up by taking two steps back.

The sad part is the basketball program is even a bigger mess right now than the football program is. This is year 9 for Fran and he has 3 NCAA appearances with 2 NCAA wins. I think even Lick could have gotten Iowa BB to 3 NCAA tournaments if we had given him 9 years at Iowa.

I will watch Iowa BB today and be completely unentertained by it. I will watch Iowa football the next two weeks and probably get little joy even if we beat Ill. and Nebby at this point, and won't be shocked if we lose both of them. At this point, apathy has officially set in, even for this eternal 1/2 glass full optimist.
Hate to pile on but dude you’ve been roasting folks for criticizing Iowa athletics the last three years all while telling us how great a hire BF was. Now you want be a drama king about it? Maybe start dealing some apologies out first...then we’ll talk.

Latest posts