Apathy has set in

deanvogs

Since the end of the 2015/2016 season Iowa sports has stopped being fun. Iowa football has officially become yet again become stale and stagnant. The promise of what could be done in the years following the historic Rose Bowl season has been completely wasted. Every time it looks like this program takes a step forward, they then follow that up by taking two steps back.

The sad part is the basketball program is even a bigger mess right now than the football program is. This is year 9 for Fran and he has 3 NCAA appearances with 2 NCAA wins. I think even Lick could have gotten Iowa BB to 3 NCAA tournaments if we had given him 9 years at Iowa.

I will watch Iowa BB today and be completely unentertained by it. I will watch Iowa football the next two weeks and probably get little joy even if we beat Ill. and Nebby at this point, and won't be shocked if we lose both of them. At this point, apathy has officially set in, even for this eternal 1/2 glass full optimist.

The biggest problem with all of this is that we won't have a new AD for any new head coaching hires, if they were to take place.

I agree, it’s about to be a bad time for Hawkeye sports.

It’s not inconceivable to think we’ll be in the bottom of the BIG in a couple years as Kirk starts rebuild #4

Ditto. I forgot to set the DVR yesterday, which normally would piss me off, but yesterday o didn’t care. I caught some of the 2nd half and had no emotion while watching them suck. It’s weird, as I told myself I should be mad about this but I just don’t care.

As for basketball, there’s a basketball game today?

Since the end of the 2015/2016 season Iowa sports has stopped being fun. Iowa football has officially become yet again become stale and stagnant. The promise of what could be done in the years following the historic Rose Bowl season has been completely wasted. Every time it looks like this program takes a step forward, they then follow that up by taking two steps back.

The sad part is the basketball program is even a bigger mess right now than the football program is. This is year 9 for Fran and he has 3 NCAA appearances with 2 NCAA wins. I think even Lick could have gotten Iowa BB to 3 NCAA tournaments if we had given him 9 years at Iowa.

I will watch Iowa BB today and be completely unentertained by it. I will watch Iowa football the next two weeks and probably get little joy even if we beat Ill. and Nebby at this point, and won't be shocked if we lose both of them. At this point, apathy has officially set in, even for this eternal 1/2 glass full optimist.

I agree and I think it starts with the offensive line that got pushed around and pushed back in CJ's face in the Rose Bowl. A Penn St, Mich St, Wisky or even jNW defense is more athletic and quicker than our Off Line is strong and we cant control those games. Our passing game is known to be poor so teams fill the box. Fitz knows you disrupt Iowa's Offense at the LOS and you win or have a great chance to win. Last year Iowa had about 250 yards in the first half against NW but only 7 points because of not making clutch first downs.

The defense is still very good but can give up that late game losing drive but only because we dont score enough points and we are in that situation too often. We cant run off first downs late in games or keep drives going because of a poor running game.

The apathy is here because we know what is going to happen. I had a real hard time driving 2 hours to the game yesterday knowing I would sit in the cold and know that it could very well be ugly.

The root of the problem is.....the University of Iowa does not care about athletics, and certainly doesn’t care about winning. Sports are a “necessary evil” and only tolerated because of the money it brings in.

Look at Barta. Find me a worse AD in college who still has a job. He gives the most ridiculous contracts to Fran and Kirk, with bonuses that reward mediocrity. There is absolutely zero pressure for them to win. Despite continually underperforming, they are in no danger of losing their jobs.

The problem is deeper than Kirk and his stale brand of coaching. Until the University changes its stance on athletics, nothing will change. We need a dynamic AD who understands how important it is to play exciting styles of FB and BB. An AD who is not afraid to promote the University. An AD who understands that one of the best ways to bring attention to the University is by having winning FB and BB programs (and no, NIT bids and 6-7-8 win FB seasons don’t meet my definition of winning...I mean teams that compete for conference titles).

I agree and I think it starts with the offensive line that got pushed around and pushed back in CJ's face in the Rose Bowl. A Penn St, Mich St, Wisky or even jNW defense is more athletic and quicker than our Off Line is strong and we cant control those games. Our passing game is known to be poor so teams fill the box. Fitz knows you disrupt Iowa's Offense at the LOS and you win or have a great chance to win. Last year Iowa had about 250 yards in the first half against NW but only 7 points because of not making clutch first downs.
The defense is still very good but can give up that late game losing drive but only because we dont score enough points and we are in that situation too often. We cant run off first downs late in games or keep drives going because of a poor running game.

The apathy is here because we know what is going to happen. I had a real hard time driving 2 hours to the game yesterday knowing I would sit in the cold and know that it could very well be ugly.

I agree with what you said, but a good defense does not give up almost 200 yards on the ground to a true freshman running back, and a NW team that was last in the conference in rushing. Our vaunted defensive line was shoved around all day long, and our linebackers, well thats what you get when KF recruits MAC talent and misses on his top targets in recruiting.

Apathy set in for me when Christian McCaffery housed the first play of the Rose Bowl. I knew then that all the football experts were right and we were only at that bowl because of our powderpuff schedule. At that moment I realized our once in a lifetime season was a joke. I also realized that Kirk wasn’t able to take us to anything more than an average program.

But it is 3 years later and I’m still here, so I guess I’m the joke.

That's why I didn't renew our tickets after moving back to northern Iowa from Ankeny.
It would be a 500 mile round trip. Why spend 2000 for season tickets, gas, tailgating items for shit shows! The AD doesn't care he lost my support. He knows some hommer will buy them expecting a solid team...but will realize what I have. It's not worth it anymore!

I'm waiting for someone to come on and tell me do i really think KF doesn't want to win. Well if he really did you would think he would realise that his petty feeling's for fant by not putting the team first by having his best players on the field when needed show he is not a team player! It' also ok to pull a Qb! Put the team first and the goal first! I'm glad he was never a officer in the Marine Corps in the battlefield I was on!

Are you saying you won't be shining Kirk's shoes anymore?

Apathy set in for me when Christian McCaffery housed the first play of the Rose Bowl. I knew then that all the football experts were right and we were only at that bowl because of our powderpuff schedule. At that moment I realized our once in a lifetime season was a joke. I also realized that Kirk wasn’t able to take us to anything more than an average program.

But it is 3 years later and I’m still here, so I guess I’m the joke.

I said this before, and I will say it again. After we won the Orange Bowl, I told myself and close friends that this is as high as Kirk will take us. I said he peaked as our coach after the Orange Bowl season, and he will never do better, which to this day he hasn't.

Dean, you used to come on here and beat the hell out of people who made intelligent observations about KF concerns. What is happening wasn't new then and was indicative of bigger issues and it's sure not new now.

Dean, you used to come on here and beat the hell out of people who made intelligent observations about KF concerns. What is happening wasn't new then and was indicative of bigger issues and it's sure not new now.
Oh don't worry. If we beat Illinois, he'll be back to work cleaning Kirk's heated pool.

I agree, it’s about to be a bad time for Hawkeye sports.

It’s not inconceivable to think we’ll be in the bottom of the BIG in a couple years as Kirk starts rebuild #4

I miss the 1980's and early 90's when we were great in football, wrestling, women's hoops, men's hoops. Heck, even the field hockey and softball teams kicked ass. We had a great AD in Bump Elliot.

The zombie apocalypse will soon be upon us if Dean is now a pessimist about Iowa athletics.:)

Latest posts