Any idea who is the guy committing on Monday?

If Fran and the staff felt he was worthy of an offer, then I'll happily defer to their judgment. Hopefully we'll be welcoming Meyer as the newest Hawkeye at the start of next week.

Exactly..... If he is 6'10 and a good post defender per the ESPN scouting report bring him on. Sounds like he has more game facing the basket than on the block but that is fine by me. Sounds like he has decent athleticism and just needs to add some strength/get a feel for his body.

Iowa is offering before he is on the "radar" as I don't think they want to get into too many recruiting battles with better programs...
In todays recruiting world every player is a known commodity before his junior year. Sure, occasionaly there is a late bloomer, but.....
Most schools are working on their 2012 class right now anyway. 2011 is pretty much done except for the late signing period which is fairly uneventful.

If the kid is 6'10" or taller he can't hurt the program. He adds depth to the WEAKEST position on the team.

Additionally, are you sure that he's the commit?

110% sure. It only lines up that he is the commit. McC said he was getting a Junior commit soon, Meyer is a junior. Dolph said we are getting a big on Monday. 6'10 is a big and Meyer announces on the 14th, which happens to be Monday. And we have been on top of his list for about a month or more now. It just seems logical.

He didn't have a Clemson offer. I hope he ends up being a diamond in the rough, but honestly that happens pretty rarely. The best recruits are typically the ones with the big offers.

Are you one of the guys who said the same thing when Archie committed to us? Come on people...just cuz a guy is tall doesn't mean he can ball.

Does the fact that he is on one of the better AAU teams in the south? Or the fact that he's an very athletic 6'10 post who is still growing? How bout that he is very versitale and can knock down outside shots? He's really not in the rough, he just doesnt have large offers, so what? And I've heard Clemson did offer him after his visit.

Does the fact that he is on one of the better AAU teams in the south? Or the fact that he's an very athletic 6'10 post who is still growing? How bout that he is very versitale and can knock down outside shots? He's really not in the rough, he just doesnt have large offers, so what? And I've heard Clemson did offer him after his visit.

I don't know...maybe because offers are the best gauge for the demand for a recruit. There's a reason that number 1 2012 recruit Andre Drummond has offers from every big school under the sun and Meyer has offers from East Carolina and Iowa. Go back and look how Iowa's commit list the last four years and their offers from high D1 schools. That is the reason we have sucked.

Look at commitment lists from other schools and you will find there is a high correlation between the number of high D1 offers and the quality of the player. Sure there are exceptions like Wes Johnson and Gordon Hayward...but those are rare. Iowa needs to be bringing in blue chip recruits right now if we want to be successful 2-4 years down the road.

My original "Brommer Part II" post was made minutes after the loss today out of frustration. I really think Brommer has come a long ways and should be a solid contributor next year. I also think that this kid from Georgia could be a gem, especially if he continues to grow.

I don't know...maybe because offers are the best gauge for the demand for a recruit. There's a reason that number 1 2012 recruit Andre Drummond has offers from every big school under the sun and Meyer has offers from East Carolina and Iowa. Go back and look how Iowa's commit list the last four years and their offers from high D1 schools. That is the reason we have sucked.

Look at commitment lists from other schools and you will find there is a high correlation between the number of high D1 offers and the quality of the player. Sure there are exceptions like Wes Johnson and Gordon Hayward...but those are rare. Iowa needs to be bringing in blue chip recruits right now if we want to be successful 2-4 years down the road.

Who has Fran and Company brought in that can't play. Basabe and Cartwright what were there offers. Do you know as much as the staff. You know jack. I hope it is Meyer and if so welcome aboard if Fran wants him I glad Iowa got him.

Which guard is currently leading all of NCAA college basketball in scoring average and was only offered by two coaches, the coach at BYU and the current head coach at Iowa. Jimmer Fredette. Of course maybe we could recruit another blue chipper like Glen Worley.

I think bashing this kid is just plain silly. He is a big body that is still developing, can move and is willing to commit prior to the summer before his senior season.

People understand, the future of Iowa basketball rests on the next 6 months. In that time Fran needs to fill half the roster. If be wants to be successful those players will have to be 3 star and above players. Meyer fits that bill in his junior year. Now he needs to get 5 other guys to commit. In other words, back off.

I dont agree that scholarship lists are the best judge of talent. All that shows is the kid has a ton of attention. Look at Aaron White this year. All mid-majors and he tore it up. Also good luck brining in the best players when you have back to back 20 loss seasons. The best players want to win and playing time doesnt matter because they know wherever they go they will play.

I remember a lot of "I'm not impressed" when Cartwright was signed. Look at how he turned out. If so many of you can pronounce Meyer a waste of a scholarship at this point...you're in the wrong business. You obviously should be NBA scouts.

I'll go with Fran's judgement. He sees potential in this kid and Meyer has 18 months to develop. You can bet he knows what the IOWA coaches want and need him to do and is going to be ready.

ok lets offer drummond, i bet we can get him. and do the same with the rest of the top 50

Trust the staff until given a reason not to. Bigs aren't expected to contribute as frosh much anyway. You have to evaluate bigs differently unless they are the cream of the crop. Simma down.

Really? Do you even read what you say? It is awful out of touch with the reality of the situation.

How is Iowa going to start pulling in Blue Chip recruits right now? We are what we are, and if we are going to get back, we are going to do it slowly by developing very good, but under the radar kids. Simple as that. Blue Chip recruits don't want to play for the 10th place team in the B1G. If they were, I don't think Fran would go looking after guys like this.

BTW, isn't Cezar Guerrero a 3 star recruit too? And he is a player at a position we will have depth at. Yet people around here are going gaga over him, calling him the most important recruit in a decade. And why? Because he has offers from the Oklahoma Schools?

We sure could have used a 6-10, 6-11 230-pound guy to hold position against a couple of MSU's wide bodies yesterday. Mel, Devon and Andrew were all getting butted out of position way too easily.

Latest posts