Any idea who is the guy committing on Monday?

We're all just so oversimplistic. Meyer is about the same height as Brommer and he's white like Brommer so he must be "Brommer II". Oglesby is roughly the same height as Gatens, is white and so is "Gatens 2". A. White is the same height or so as Gordon Heyward and it white so he must be "another Gordon Heyward" (ok I hope that one's true).

Wouldn't it make sense to watch a kid play over time to see if he is just like a current player? And I mean, not just watching a You-tube of him for 3 minutes but over time?

I hope we sign both woodbury and meyer, I love the fact that fans know more than this coaching staff, the Hawkeyes need to get into the Dance a couple years in arow before we start attracting 4-5 blue chip players, the Hawks need to make a sweet 16 before they will bring in a top 20 recruiting class. Sorry but it is going to take time, ask the football coaches how long it takes, a couple orange bowl appearances opened up a lot of doors,

I support Fran if he thinks Meyer is good enough than I hope we sign him!

You know in all honesty, I think if Brommer had the opportunity to redshirt, and had the opportunity to develop under Fran his whole career, he would be a much different player. In reality he should be a red-shirt sophmore right now.

I don't know...maybe because offers are the best gauge for the demand for a recruit. There's a reason that number 1 2012 recruit Andre Drummond has offers from every big school under the sun and Meyer has offers from East Carolina and Iowa. Go back and look how Iowa's commit list the last four years and their offers from high D1 schools. That is the reason we have sucked.

Look at commitment lists from other schools and you will find there is a high correlation between the number of high D1 offers and the quality of the player. Sure there are exceptions like Wes Johnson and Gordon Hayward...but those are rare. Iowa needs to be bringing in blue chip recruits right now if we want to be successful 2-4 years down the road.
Kyle Meyer is a Junior that plays on a AAU team that has all D-1 talent and he is looked upon as a solid power forward with a great inside outside game. He can run the floor with the ball, change directions with the ball, post up, jump out for a three and he is still growing. He plays against very good competition and will be even better his senior year when he starts to get the offers from the bigs. Most growing bigs don't start to get used to their bodies until 17-18 years old. I can't compare him to Brommer or any of the other recruits of the past. I can only go by what Fran sees in a kid and makes an offer. He is 2 for 2 so far and until he blows that, I am in on any kid he brings in.

Kyle Meyer is a Junior that plays on a AAU team that has all D-1 talent and he is looked upon as a solid power forward with a great inside outside game. He can run the floor with the ball, change directions with the ball, post up, jump out for a three and he is still growing. He plays against very good competition and will be even better his senior year when he starts to get the offers from the bigs. Most growing bigs don't start to get used to their bodies until 17-18 years old. I can't compare him to Brommer or any of the other recruits of the past. I can only go by what Fran sees in a kid and makes an offer. He is 2 for 2 so far and until he blows that, I am in on any kid he brings in.

He also saw something special in Jimmer Freddette (sp?) early on. Didn't get him, but he recognized the ability. Same with Kenny Hasbrouk (sp? again) at Sienna. Fran's got a pretty good track record for talent recognition, and not just at Iowa.

He also saw something special in Jimmer Freddette (sp?) early on. Didn't get him, but he recognized the ability. Same with Kenny Hasbrouk (sp? again) at Sienna. Fran's got a pretty good track record for talent recognition, and not just at Iowa.

Which is why I trust him in taking on Meyer for next year's class. He obviously really likes the guy to take him on before this years class is full and he knows Meyer will most likely come in and see time as a freshman.

You know guys when I replied first with 'Kyle Meyer' I was just speculating... seems like everyone took that as fact

You know guys when I replied first with 'Kyle Meyer' I was just speculating... seems like everyone took that as fact

I'm taking what you said as a fact because I know its a fact. It lines up perfectly. Your reply didn't affect my thoughts on it at all.

True dat. There are so many rating services now days, sooner or later everybody is a 3 star.

There may be some truth to that, won't deny it, but still - I ain't complaining about a 6'10 kid who is listed as a 3 star while he's still a junior in high school. If we were Kansas or UNC maybe.

Really? Do you even read what you say? It is awful out of touch with the reality of the situation.

How is Iowa going to start pulling in Blue Chip recruits right now? We are what we are, and if we are going to get back, we are going to do it slowly by developing very good, but under the radar kids. Simple as that. Blue Chip recruits don't want to play for the 10th place team in the B1G. If they were, I don't think Fran would go looking after guys like this.

BTW, isn't Cezar Guerrero a 3 star recruit too? And he is a player at a position we will have depth at. Yet people around here are going gaga over him, calling him the most important recruit in a decade. And why? Because he has offers from the Oklahoma Schools?

Agree about Meyer, not about Guerrero.

Rivals has Guerrero as a four star and 61st overall player in the country. ESPN has him as a three star, but a 91 rating. The scouting services have him mainly varying from 14 to around 20 in terms of position rank. He'd be the highest rated recruit to Iowa since Tyler Smith. He's also got an offer from Miami and evidently a conditional offer from KS. He had also verballed to Western Kentucky last fall, who has had about four straight recruiting class better than Iowa. Guerrero also had to sit out his JR year of HS, which hurt his rankings some.

And something else, as far as ratings. Some of this can be affected by the makeup of his class, but ESPN has Meyer as the 32nd ranked PF in the country. They had Basabe ranked 62nd. They also have Meyer with an 89 grade, same as Mel. Would anyone really like to kick Mel to the curb now, having seen him play Big Ten ball for a year?

I'll trust Fran. If he sees something that tells him (or Sherman, Andrew or Kirk) that a kid has what it takes to play in the B1G, that's good enough for me.

Who has Fran and Company brought in that can't play. Basabe and Cartwright what were there offers. Do you know as much as the staff. You know jack. I hope it is Meyer and if so welcome aboard if Fran wants him I glad Iowa got him.

Basabe has some talent. Cartwright is okay. Both those guys started for us this year and led us to 12 wins. So I don't know why everyone acts like they are superstars.

Not sure why everyone is all over me for wanting more talent. It can be done and is being down just down the road at Iowa State. Hoiberg has a ton of talent coming in next year. Scott Drew was bringing in top 100 kids long before he started winning at Baylor. And don't give me any crap about not wanting to take chances on kids when we just offered a convicted felon who has been in the clink for 3 years.