Any idea who is the guy committing on Monday?

Kind of what I was thinking. I love some of the people that come out here and deride anybody who doesn't automatically drink the kool-aid, yet don't offer any other insight.

Maybe Meyer is an under the radar guy who we are getting in on early.. If so, then fantastic. But I hadn't heard ANYTHING about him before now.. So forgive the rest of us if we want to know what the scoop is with this recruit.

Sounds like he's been getting plenty of attention.

Georgia Tech and UGA take peek at 6-foot-10 prospect | Prep Zone: High School Sports

Taking a peak and offering a very different.

I would just rather have Woodbury

But I'll cheer for Meyer just as I would any Hawkeye!

When I first watched that highlight video, in which he has maybe two plays, I was very unimpressed. He honestly looked like a "Brommer Part 2".

But then I realized that the title of the video said 16U. So maybe he was 15 years old in those games. That is far different than 20 and playing in the Big Ten. I think he would be a big commitment. He looks like a player that has a lot of developing to do, in many ways. But my point is that Meyer seems like he will be a really good player someday.

The fact is, he isn't as visually impressive as some of his AAU teammates at age 16. This does not bother me, considering he plays on the Atlanta Celitcs. My only concern as a hawk fan is: What about the instate big men of 2012, meaning Woodbury? If this kid is in the 6'9'' or 10'' range, that means he could be a PF, and we could get Woodbury too, as a Center?

Where have you been? Meyer has been discussed on Hawkeye message boards for several weeks now.

It must be buried in some threads that I'm not looking at.. I come out to these boards most every day, and about all I see are threads about Cezar & Woodbury..

Exactly what did you hear about Basabe and Cartwright before Fran brought up their names? Just curious.

Regarding Basabe, I had heard that Texas was interested in him. That was a good sign.

Cartwright.. nothing. But he's turned out well.

But as I said in my earlier post, both of these players turned out well, so I have to give Fran some benefit of the doubt on his talent evaluation.

I didn't say that Meyer was a lousy commit, if that is indeed who it is. Just saying I haven't heard anything about him. But a lot of people seem to be taking offense to the fact that I'm asking questions about him rather than showing blind faith.

He's a junior, and his AAU team is one of the VERY best in the nation. He probably spends quite a bit of time in some of his teammate's shadows. Doesn't mean he isn't a very good player.

And to those saying "Brommer 2.0": considering the marked level of improvement in Brommer's game (when he's not in foul trouble, he's been pretty damn effective this year), have none of you considered what Andrew might have looked like if Fran had been his coach for the previous two seasons? I would bet he'd be a totally different player. The raw skill is there for Brommer. The development is what has been lagging, and that's on Lick.

@tm3308
I completely agree with you. All that I meant to say was that the highlight video could be deceiving. I am thinking that is a video from at one or two years ago. Add another year of development for this kid, and we are looking at a whole new athlete.

I also agree about your comment on Brommer. I know used the nickname "Brommer 2.0" which seems to be derogatory, but I kind of like Brommer as a player. He was painful to watch early in his career, but this year he has shown dunks and rebounds inside, and while I wouldn't call him a good player, he is a completely better player than when he got here.

@tm3308
I completely agree with you. All that I meant to say was that the highlight video could be deceiving. I am thinking that is a video from at one or two years ago. Add another year of development for this kid, and we are looking at a whole new athlete.

I also agree about your comment on Brommer. I know used the nickname "Brommer 2.0" which seems to be derogatory, but I kind of like Brommer as a player. He was painful to watch early in his career, but this year he has shown dunks and rebounds inside, and while I wouldn't call him a good player, he is a completely better player than when he got here.

He's also got a nice little hook shot as well, and that's been a very effective move for him. He could be a good player right now if he could just stay out of foul trouble. That may never change, IDK. But hopefully Meyer doesn't have that tendency.

The next recruiting mistake Fran makes at Iowa will be his first. So he deserves the benefit of any doubt so far.

Agree. We aren't bad because of McCaffrey not being able to evaluate talent. There would be no hope without Basabe and Cartwright, so I defer to McCaffrey. This program is not in a position to get blue chip kids and we are going to have to roll the dice on some late bloomers / kids flying under the radar.

If the kid is 6'10" or taller he can't hurt the program. He adds depth to the WEAKEST position on the team.

Additionally, are you sure that he's the commit?

I think the kid could be a player. The growth he will show before he gets to campus will surprise some. You've got a kid who's still trying to find his arms and legs and certainly is a ways from filling out his frame. The video wasn't structured ball and he showed some defense. Most AAU ball in the cities is about kids trying to score. I didn't see any BC's dishing out the rock. It looked like a bunch of one pass and put it up possessions. He put the ball on the floor once, made a three, and showed some desire to run the floor.

This isn't a six foot point guard. Big men take time. Acie Earl, Brad Lohas, and others were not awesome when they stepped on campus. Lohas was a big time recruit and it took time. It's been a while since we've seen much of it, but often coaches keep kids for four years and make them better.

Trust in the coach. With what he did in year one given what he had when he got here was terrific. He's landed some players that weren't 4 stars. If he wants a junior bad enough to give him an offer it's more than okay with me if the kid comes. He seems to be a solid kid grade wise and he has a life plan. Who's to say he won't be 7'1" when he gets here and bulked up to around 260?

Latest posts