Any idea who is the guy committing on Monday?

Just proved that you no longer deserve a response.

I just want to say that its pretty rare for coaches to turn around programs unless they can bring in top 150 recruits consistently for the first few years...I base this only on empirical evidence in the past ten years. Obviously my view is not the popular one here, so I will no longer comment on recruiting from here on out. Let the kool-aid drinking continue.

Not sure why everyone is all over me for wanting more talent. It can be done and is being down just down the road at Iowa State. Hoiberg has a ton of talent coming in next year. Scott Drew was bringing in top 100 kids long before he started winning at Baylor. And don't give me any crap about not wanting to take chances on kids when we just offered a convicted felon who has been in the clink for 3 years.

Scott Drew cheats and panders with AAU street runners. That's why he gets a certain type of talent.

I just want to say that its pretty rare for coaches to turn around programs unless they can bring in top 150 recruits consistently for the first few years...I base this only on empirical evidence in the past ten years. Obviously my view is not the popular one here, so I will no longer comment on recruiting from here on out. Let the kool-aid drinking continue.

There are only a hand few of schools that bring in several top 150 recruits in every year. How did Matt Painter do what was his recruiting class ratings ? How did Indiana do what was there ranking last year? So whoever has the best recruiting class ranked by a star system on some site they win the national title ? If Meyer is our first recruit cause Fran wants him perfect. The guy has brought in two guys and in the first year both were HM all big ten. So I will stick with my first point you know Jack.

Aaron White I hope is the perfect example of how Fran is recruiting to start his tenure at Iowa. If you click on the above link and look at the kid's scout page picture you will be underwhelmed and think, "My god, we signed a 2 star Opie."

Well, look at the video and interview of White after their buzzer beating loss in the Ohio basketball playoffs. He now looks to be a legitimate 6'8" and jumps out of the gym. Look at the interview. He is mature, and no longer the soft baby face of that scout picture. Fran saw talent, saw an injury (that kept the rating and exposure down) and jumped at the opportunity to get a talent others may have been waiting to see more of or had not seen at all.

One thing for sure on Meyer is that he's faced a lot of strong competition, both in AAU and high school. I'm watching the Georgia 5A championship game right now and there is a lot of talent on the floor. Milton has 4 4-star players and one 3-star. Norcross has 3 3-stars and 1 4-star. These are Rivals ratings.

Basabe has some talent. Cartwright is okay. Both those guys started for us this year and led us to 12 wins. So I don't know why everyone acts like they are superstars.

Superstars? No, maybe not. Basabe could be. Cartwright is just a pretty good player, who would look even better if there were more players around him who could deliver more consistently. He's not Marshall from UNC, but he's a good PG.

And Scott Drew? You mean Calipari Lite? Not a good example at all right there.

This is an excellent recruit for us. We need bigs. This will not impact Woodbury's decision to commit IMO. A few years down the road will be another chapter of effective twin towers in Iowa bball history.

Welcome aboard Kyle!

Superstars? No, maybe not. Basabe could be. Cartwright is just a pretty good player, who would look even better if there were more players around him who could deliver more consistently. He's not Marshall from UNC, but he's a good PG.

And Scott Drew? You mean Calipari Lite? Not a good example at all right there.

Baylor's star frosh was just suspended for some issues with an agent a while back, so he is done for the season. He will be in the draft. Baylor will not make the tourny in his one year. So,was he a good recruit? Not really.
The team did not prosper due to his presence in the one year he was there...Meyer will be a better recruit,probably...even tho he is not rated anywhere in the same league as Perry whatshisname. You do not build a sustained winner with Perry Jones type recruits. One year pop is not worth it.

NCAA needs to threaten a freshman ineligible rule until the NBA gets rid of the one and done rule. Desperate times require desperate measures. These are desperate times.

NCAA needs to threaten a freshman ineligible rule until the NBA gets rid of the one and done rule. Desperate times require desperate measures. These are desperate times.

I honestly think the new CBA will include a change in the rule. No one thinks it is working. I see a new rule that mirrors the baseball rule,hopefully. Go immediately to the NBA out of high school,or stay in college for 3 years....and sanity could return to both games.

I honestly think the new CBA will include a change in the rule. No one thinks it is working. I see a new rule that mirrors the baseball rule,hopefully. Go immediately to the NBA out of high school,or stay in college for 3 years....and sanity could return to both games.

I would love this

I'm not a fan of the one and done, but at the same time I don't think kids should be forced to act as college students for one year.

The baseball rule would be great IMO.

Not sure why everyone is all over me for wanting more talent. It can be done and is being down just down the road at Iowa State. Hoiberg has a ton of talent coming in next year. Scott Drew was bringing in top 100 kids long before he started winning at Baylor. And don't give me any crap about not wanting to take chances on kids when we just offered a convicted felon who has been in the clink for 3 years.

This is by far the most ignorant post in this thread. We cant even bring in the top guys in our own state yet we "need" to bring in 150 talent from the nation? Good luck getting them here without bringing sanctions with on the flight home. It doesnt take a bunch of Rivals 5* players to win. It takes coaching, talent, and heart. Meyer has the second 2 and Fran has the first.

Scott Drew is on a balancing act. Now some guys have been able to maintain that act for some time. However, others fall off quickly. The issue is that the NCAA doesn't seem to have any teeth unless they are lucky enough to find out you lied to them.

Still, wouldn't want to go the Drew method. Or the method of any private religious college in Texas for that matter. Lots of things can be justified when you think you have God on your side.

This conversation about Meyer should start and end with two questions.....Who has Fran brought in previously to Iowa City as far as recruits go? Basabe and Cartwright! Did those work out? Resounding YES! All further judgement should be suspended on future recruits until Fran proves he doesn't have an eye for talent. So far it's been the opposite. End of conversation. Meyer will be a great addition imo.

I would love this

I'm not a fan of the one and done, but at the same time I don't think kids should be forced to act as college students for one year.

The baseball rule would be great IMO.

The NCAA won't (and hasn't) done something like that because then top HS players would be heading to Europe instead of playing in college. The NBA isn't going to change their rule (Why get rid of a free minor league with a huge publicity machine to hype future stars?), and the NCAA has no leverage against the NBA.

The NCAA won't (and hasn't) done something like that because then top HS players would be heading to Europe instead of playing in college. The NBA isn't going to change their rule (Why get rid of a free minor league with a huge publicity machine to hype future stars?), and the NCAA has no leverage against the NBA.

I would have agreed with you completely 3-4 years ago, when Oden and Durant electrified the NCAA, became huge stars, and sparked a huge debate about who should go #1. That was sort of the peak of great freshmen who went straight to the NBA and made an impact: Carmelo and Bosh several years before, and then Rose, Beasley, K-Love, Eric Gordon, and OJ Mayo the year after. Those guys were stars before college, during college, and then right away in the NBA. Look at the last couple of years, though, and it gets pretty bleak. Here's Chad Ford's mock top 10 for this year:

Kyrie Irving, Perry Jones, Jared Sullinger, Derek Williams, Enes Kanter, Harrison Barnes, Jonas Valuncunias, Jan Vesely, Terence Jones, Kemba Walker.

That's five freshmen, three Euros, and exactly zero guys that have the star power of guys like Melo, Rose, or Dwayne Wade coming out of college. Look at the last couple of drafts: there have been exactly two freshmen who have come out and actually made an impact (Wall and Tyreke Evans). If you're an NBA team, would you prefer to draft Perry Jones (who isn't going to sell a single season ticket) after his first year and teach him how to play basketball, or would you rather get two more years to watch him develop, hopefully become a star, and get ready to contribute right away?

There have been two historically bad drafts in a row and we're staring down a third. From the NBA's perspective, something's got to change, and soon.

This conversation about Meyer should start and end with two questions.....Who has Fran brought in previously to Iowa City as far as recruits go? Basabe and Cartwright! Did those work out? Resounding YES! All further judgement should be suspended on future recruits until Fran proves he doesn't have an eye for talent. So far it's been the opposite. End of conversation. Meyer will be a great addition imo.

Yes!!! +1

That's five freshmen, three Euros, and exactly zero guys that have the star power of guys like Melo, Rose, or Dwayne Wade coming out of college. Look at the last couple of drafts: there have been exactly two freshmen who have come out and actually made an impact (Wall and Tyreke Evans). If you're an NBA team, would you prefer to draft Perry Jones (who isn't going to sell a single season ticket) after his first year and teach him how to play basketball, or would you rather get two more years to watch him develop, hopefully become a star, and get ready to contribute right away?

Do you think Perry Jones is going to go to college for three years when he knows he can play professionally right now? If the NCAA forces them to stay in college, then tons of HS stars will go overseas. That situation harms both the NCAA and the NBA.