Any chance we don't suck?

Overall, there are way too many question marks for me to form a real opinion. It really is going to depend on how they play, how aggressive, what kind of team mentality etc. I know that sounds corny, but predicting a season outcome with this many (position group) uncertainties is a crapshoot. They are going to have to play hard, and really limit mistakes to get to 8,9,10 wins

I do think we can beat Wisconsin. They are easily the most overrated team going into this season. How does a team, which lost 6 games last season, lose arguably their best player in school history and their head coach and then have a great year the following season? Wisconsin is primed to take a significant step back this season, and we catch them in Kinnick.

Agreed on Wiscy. What I don't get is the OSU-is-invincible talk. They literally replace their D front 7. While some have experience, there is a reason they were not starters a season ago. Not saying we will beat them, but OSU in the BCS CG is a reach, IMO.

Agreed on Wiscy. What I don't get is the OSU-is-invincible talk. They literally replace their D front 7. While some have experience, there is a reason they were not starters a season ago. Not saying we will beat them, but OSU in the BCS CG is a reach, IMO.

I think that both of their defensive ends were five star recruits.

I would love Iowa defense to get back to the dominance of old. Get back to the hard hitting defense that puts fear into offense's.

You are right and I get your point. The thing with tOSU is that they got SEC like talent and are usually as deep. I would think you'd admit they are by far the best team in the big 10 this year?

Your naivete is touching really.

Great. They still have 5 more replacement starters. Star ratings on those?

I don't think they have released the current depth chart. On the d line, Tommy Schutt was a 4*. At LB, Ryan Shazier returns: 4* and preseason AA. Josh Perry returns at LB; he's a 4*. Curtis Grant @LB was a 5*. etc.

I will wait and see how we look week one and make my judgements from there. I knew right away against NIU last season it was going to be painful, and the ISU loss sealed the deal for me. I religiously stuck it out the rest of the season hoping for signs of improvement but it just never came.

For the record, I think we might just win 7-8 games if our qb play is at least average this season.

i agree, that is what we all must do with this team this year as well. while we can be patient with our predictions, it's been said and I agree, the Hawks need to come out firing the first 2 games or it will be a long season. I think they have some of the type of players that may be able to surprise to the upside the "attitude"that will be needed.

If we look strong and semi-mistake free the first 4 games, we may do well in B1G play, get an upset or two and post 8 or even nine wins. If we're flat and emotionless those first
2 games, then 6 wins at best. I think our qb play will be sufficient, it ALL rests more fully on the ?s surrounding our defense.

BTW, osu may be good, but I agree, they are not nat championship game good. They will get beat by someone in the conf.

i agree, that is what we all must do with this team this year as well. while we can be patient with our predictions, it's been said and I agree, the Hawks need to come out firing the first 2 games or it will be a long season. I think they have some of the type of players that may be able to surprise to the upside the "attitude"that will be needed.

If we look strong and semi-mistake free the first 4 games, we may do well in B1G play, get an upset or two and post 8 or even nine wins. If we're flat and emotionless those first
2 games, then 6 wins at best. I think our qb play will be sufficient, it ALL rests more fully on the ?s surrounding our defense.

BTW, osu may be good, but I agree, they are not nat championship game good. They will get beat by someone in the conf.

so you're taking a wait and see approach with iowa...but you already know tOSU isn't national championship game good. kind of hypocritical, wouldn't ya say?

The defense will be better and the passing game will better. That alone should give them two more wins than last year.

so you're taking a wait and see approach with iowa...but you already know tOSU isn't national championship game good. kind of hypocritical, wouldn't ya say?
yeah, I would say so, but then again, I could give 2 shats about osu and just don't want them anywhere near a natl championship. The real hypocrisy is that the fact that if they would make it to the NC and I would have to like it because of the BiG representation. Now that would suc!

yeah, I would say so, but then again, I could give 2 shats about osu and just don't want them anywhere near a natl championship. The real hypocrisy is that the fact that if they would make it to the NC and I would have to like it because of the BiG representation. Now that would suc!

lol, well you're just a big hypocrite now aren't ya! but trust me, i wouldn't like it any more than you would. urban meyer sucks

Something to consider is that I have never heard of a team that is not optimistic this time of year. No matter how bad you were you can tell yourself the returning guys will be better and the new guys will be great right away.

This is the time for hope and optimism.

Something to consider is that I have never heard of a team that is not optimistic this time of year. No matter how bad you were you can tell yourself the returning guys will be better and the new guys will be great right away.

This is the time for hope and optimism.
Unless you are Illinois?

4 wins - this team is worse than last year with a tougher schedule.

So how do you get 4 wins then? If they are worse and have a tougher schedule wouldnt they have less wins than last year?

Or do you think they lost games in which they were the better team last year?

You are right and I get your point. The thing with tOSU is that they got SEC like talent and are usually as deep. I would think you'd admit they are by far the best team in the big 10 this year?

Not sure about "by far". I go back to 2005, when (after Cap One) everyone talked about all we had returning, but forgetting we had to replace a whole DL. O$U may have $EC-like talent (they're paying for it, aren't they?!), but a WHOLE front 7?!

They appear to be the best team in the B1G, but our best seasons have always been the ones where we have high number of returning starters on OL/DL. I would assume it's similar with other programs.

Latest posts