Andrew Francis

You know...Lavar Ball is free right now and maybe he can bring Melo with him.

(Please note, this comment was said with sarcasm and is not intended to be taken seriously.)

Fryowa, I know you want to believe this is a statement of fact, but this disclaimer with the post will contradict your claims.

Thumbs down button! Thumbs down button!!

He is our best recruiter, heck our only recruiter. Better make a good hire to replace him, as the average age of the coached without Francis sits is in the 60's.
Care to back that one up with any evidence? Who has he landed vs who has Sherm landed?

I’ve heard many high level recruits “speak highly” of their relationship with Francis, but they never actually come to Iowa. Just because he’s younger doesn’t make him a better recruiter.

Last edited:
Every coach has recruiting misses. Having and landing plan B is the difference.
Craig Anderson was more like plan H after missing out on Russell Cross.

All kidding aside, you're correct with your assessment. OldHawk, in well over a month of "good ol days" posts, has never brought up any of those recruiting misses, some of which led other teams to national titles.

Care to back that one up with any evidence? Who has he landed vs who has Sherm landed?

I’ve heard many high level recruits “speak highly” of their relationship with Francis, but they never actually come to Iowa. Just because he’s younger doesn’t make him a better recruiter.

You are correct, I couldn't tell you who recruits best of the 3 for sure. Like you said whenever I see recruits talking about Iowa assistants glowingly it is mostly about Francis.

I'm just saying...if Cook doesnt' come back, you have essentially 3 African American players on a roster of 12 players. Look around the B10 and find out what the percentages are for most teams. I've not said it was racially motivated...I'm just pointing out that Iowa will have several combinations of lineups next year that will put 5 white guys on the floor at the same time. I think saying, "there's nothing to see here" isn't the right response.

JT, Pemsl, and Moss and now just Dillard for staff are all we have for diversity with this basketball program. Not sure what the percentage is around the Big Ten or Power 5 leagues but I'd wager Iowa is the one of the least-diverse programs in the country now with Francis and Cook gone. That doesn't look good from a perception standpoint. Iowa will have many times 5 white dudes out on the floor. That could impact recruiting of black student athletes.

Stereotypes aside, Iowa's matchups to more athletic teams regardless of race will be seen as it due to too many white dudes.

For the record Lute and George had some major recruiting whiffs as well. Lute lost a hotly contested battle with Indiana and DePaul for Isiah Thomas and lost out on Marquette's Doc Rivers and Purdue's Russell Cross as well. (He also lost Steve Krafciscin to North Carolina only to have him transfer back later.) He had to fall all way back to Madison's Craig Anderson for his 1980 big man after missing on Cross.

Raveling went after JR Reid hard, but lost him to North Carolina. Glen Rice was another miss, as was Chris Gaines from right in his backyard at Waterloo West. He tried to get Chris Monk from the west coast and lost him although I think there were academic issues there, as there were with Flint's Anthony Pendleton.

Just pointing out facts that OldHawk has conveniently overlooked as he tries to make his "get off my lawn" arguments.

Word is that we came very close to landing Russell Crowe also

But those days are gone and you were wrong about the recruits. If your expectations are to have 7 NBA players on the roster like those teams did back then you are rooting for the wrong team. We may never see another team like that again.
Never said that at all. But the level of play since then has dropped off dramatically. There is zero disputing that fact. My expectations are my own. I don’t apologize for them either.

Word is that we came very close to landing Russell Crowe also
Both more than made up for it as Lute took us to the Final 4 and Raveling left us with 13 professional basketball players including enough talent to reach a Final 8 in a year when the B10 was likely as good as it’s ever been in the history of the conference

I want recruiting to improve and want Iowa to continue to improve and I think they can.

The current run they are on is pretty good for recruiting, that’s why many national outlets have them as a potential top 15/20 team next year, even after losing Cook early. Rob ran a nice piece that showed in terms of recruiting rankings Iowa compares to Purdue, who was just a half second away from the final 4.

Plenty of work to do for Fran but if he keeps hitting on quality all conference level talents we will be able to compete at a higher level. Calling our recruiting abysmal was an idiotic statement, which is par for the course for you.
Without a pg, none of this matters. We’ll see what the freshman can do

For the record Lute and George had some major recruiting whiffs as well. Lute lost a hotly contested battle with Indiana and DePaul for Isiah Thomas and lost out on Marquette's Doc Rivers and Purdue's Russell Cross as well. (He also lost Steve Krafciscin to North Carolina only to have him transfer back later.) He had to fall all way back to Madison's Craig Anderson for his 1980 big man after missing on Cross.

Raveling went after JR Reid hard, but lost him to North Carolina. Glen Rice was another miss, as was Chris Gaines from right in his backyard at Waterloo West. He tried to get Chris Monk from the west coast and lost him although I think there were academic issues there, as there were with Flint's Anthony Pendleton.

Just pointing out facts that OldHawk has conveniently overlooked as he tries to make his "get off my lawn" arguments.
Incredibly weak argument because Lute went to a Final 4 and Raveling successfully stocked the pond with 13 professional players that led to the Final 8 run and undeniably the greatest collection of talent in Iowa basketball history

They didn't even finish 7th THIS season - and played a top 25 schedule in hoops. You living in the past or being old is no excuse for ignorance. You obviously know how to use a computer.
Here are the facts: tied for 3rd twice and never higher than fifth in seven other years. Finishes of 5, 6,6,6,6, 7, 10 and 11. If you are fine with that, knock yourself out. The parallels to Mr. Davis and kf are evident. They scream “middle of the road” and...”I’m good because I’m part of the b10” rather than on my own merits

Incredibly weak argument because Lute went to a Final 4 and Raveling successfully stocked the pond with 13 professional players that led to the Final 8 run and undeniably the greatest collection of talent in Iowa basketball history
We win Natty's with Isiah Thomas and Glen Rice. You know it and so do I.

They were good recruiters, but they had glaring misses too and for the last month you have failed to acknowledge it.

You said 13 of Raveling's recruits played professionally. Name them.

Here are the facts: tied for 3rd twice and never higher than fifth in seven other years. Finishes of 5, 6,6,6,6, 7, 10 and 11. If you are fine with that, knock yourself out. The parallels to Mr. Davis and kf are evident. They scream “middle of the road” and...”I’m good because I’m part of the b10” rather than on my own merits
No ones ok with it. We all want more. It’s not abysmal.

Both more than made up for it as Lute took us to the Final 4 and Raveling left us with 13 professional basketball players including enough talent to reach a Final 8 in a year when the B10 was likely as good as it’s ever been in the history of the conference
Big Ten was pretty good in '76 as well. Indiana beat Michigan for the championship and a great Minnesota team was on probation.

1979, Michigan State won the national title. Indiana and Purdue played in NIT title game in an era where few at large teams made the NCAA'S

1980, Iowa and Purdue made the final four.

1989, Michigan and Illinois' made the final four.

2000, Michigan State won championship, Wisconsin made final four, Purdue made the Elite Eight.

There were other years besides 1987 where the B1G was "as good as it's ever been in the history of the conference"

Latest posts