AJ Derby now a linebacker

nwiahawks

kudos to hawkeye2011 for brining this first.
just heard as well that AJ has switched over to LB this morning and practiced today with Lbs. fairly certain this is a long term change but couldn't be confirmed at this point by person who told me.

kudos to hawkeye2011 for brining this first.
just heard as well that AJ has switched over to LB this morning and practiced today with Lbs. fairly certain this is a long term change but couldn't be confirmed at this point by person who told me.

Wait a minute, the first thing I posted when AJ was arrested is that he was moving to LB. :D

(winky winky winky)

Things just changed. LEO is settled for a while now.

Are you suggesting that it's "automatic" for AJ to lock down the LEO spot?

To be honest, I like the upside of Fisher when looking to the future. Also, Lowdermilk is a guy who could grow into the LB spot too.

I grant you that Derby seems to fit the Edds/Nielsen mold at LEO ... however, Coach Wilson has also said A LOT of positive things about Kirksey's ability to play on the outside too.

For all we know ... next year our starting LBs might just be Kirksey, Morris, and Alston.

Things just changed. LEO is settled for a while now.

Derby won't be ready to play for awhile. There is technique, terminology and the playbook to learn. Maybe in a few weeks he could see spot duty, but if he sees the field a lot the rest of this season, we are in trouble. I'm not busting Derby, but a great athlete blowing a coverage, gets teams beat.

No way dude. If Derby is switching, he is playing, also Kirksey doesn't really have the ideal frame to set the edge at LEO.

No way dude. If Derby is switching, he is playing, also Kirksey doesn't really have the ideal frame to set the edge at LEO.

Considering that all the coaching changes in the Big 10, along with the addition of Nebby, the spectrum of Os in the Big 10 is a bit more "spread heavy."

Aside from Iowa, pretty much only Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Illinois are "committed" to more pro-set heavy Os. With Miller at tOSU and Robinson at Michigan ... both of those squads will remain more "hybrid" in nature. As for PSU ... they likely want to return to their "spread HD" ... however, that depends more on them making an actual decision concerning their QB situation.

Anyhow, when you consider that in the near and dear future that Iowa doesn't face a few of those teams ... the implication is that we'll be increasingly be stuck with our OLB covering WRs. Frankly, Kirksey already fits that job description ... AND he's a fine LB to boot!

Don't get me wrong ... if Derby transitions well to LB ... then I like his chances of earning game action. His QB background obviously indicates that he has a good football IQ. Furthermore, the fact that he held offers from the likes of 'Bama and Florida speaks to the fact that they thought that he'd project well at LB (or possibly TE) really well too.

You are right that Derby definitely fits the bill size-wise ... he definitely has the frame for it.

I don't see Kirksey losing his job, he's been one of our most impressive players on D consistently all year.

Wait wasnt this going to happen before? Also derby said was staying at qb no matter what. Also Also coach said derby has been tearing up the defense recently.

So I'm guessing this means Rudock must be looking really good in practice?

i'd guess he looks at the current starting qb who is going to be here next year. feels the clock ticking, sees opportunity to get on the field and is finally resolving himself to do so. that is exactly what #7 went thru when he switched to WR. i'm sure this isn't something that has happened overnight, either.

I think when he got arrested, it gave the coaches some leverage to move him. Either you move or you're off the team, kinda thing. Because this really worries me if Vandenberg gets hurt.

Derby beat out Wienke in a hurry, who's since moved to holder, and Rudock is a true freshmen. Rudock must be amazing.

I think when he got arrested, it gave the coaches some leverage to move him. Either you move or you're off the team, kinda thing. Because this really worries me if Vandenberg gets hurt.

Derby beat out Wienke in a hurry, who's since moved to holder, and Rudock is a true freshmen. Rudock must be amazing.

Not sure if it was "move or you're off the team" but rather the coaches putting him further down the QB depth chart following his arrest and suspension. Perhaps AJ also swallowed some pride, and, wanting to see the field, realized there was an opportunity at LB and talked to the staff about moving.

I am mixed on this; AJ showed talent in his limited appearances as QB and I was warming to the idea of him as JVB's backup. Just hoping Wienke and Rudock are ready to go, if needed.

I don't believe it. Kirk was just saying yesterday that he was tearing up the the defense in practice last week at QB.

I am like VAHawk. I will believe it only when I see it.

IF injuries continue at LB and Morris and Hitchens can not play, then I could see Derby agreeing to move to LB to help the team. However, I am not sure any move would be permanent.

Kirk's reply about who is next at LB in the onthe side interview is a bit candid but I think he is counting more on Hitchens and Morris playing than moving Derby.

Latest posts