AJ Derby now a linebacker

I have a hard time believing Derby can make an impact at LB this season.

That remains to be seen. But with the lack of depth he will at least get meaningful practice reps for the future.

Also this paves the way for Rudock in another 1.5 years, which means he will get more meaningful practice reps.

If the writing was on the wall, better now than to wait.

i will say that derbys lateral quickness is likely better than all of those mentioned above. he may not blow you away with a 40 time but ive seen him on the basketball court and he was VERY VERY quick.

Weird move but I can understand it for depth purposes THIS season.

There are a lot of LB's on the Iowa roster.

Rudock must really be in high favor with the Iowa coaching staff.

Don't you think Iowa would benefit from having Derby's speed out there when Michigan comes to town to stop/slow down Robinson's running ability?? Start practicing now and maybe get a few reps in against Indiana to get his feet wet.

I doubt his speed matters much in comparison to Robinson's speed.

I saw AJ play a lot in high school and he's never blown me away as a Quarterback. Granted it's been 2 years since I saw him play a lot but I always thought he had a much bigger upside on the Defensive end of things.

Derby is a low 4.8 guy. Nielsen is a high 4.5 guy. Those are Iowa's laser times, not mine.

Football speed may be different. I guess we will see.

And I'd bet you that McNutt's 40 time now at WR would scorch his 40 time when he was still at QB.

That said ... I doubt that Derby is any faster than Morris, Kirksey or Hitchens ... however, for being a LB ... I'm willing to bet that he has above-average speed ... particularly as he gets used to running more and more.

If Derby was being looked at by Florida, etc as a linebacker then he must have some serious innate skill and the learning curve would be short. The staff probably wants him to be able to go at either position (LB or QB) and must be able to think that he could do both at a high level. Interesting to see how this plays out although I'd much rather see him thrown in as a LB then at QB (Vandy can't go down)

If Derby was being looked at by Florida, etc as a linebacker then he must have some serious innate skill and the learning curve would be short. The staff probably wants him to be able to go at either position (LB or QB) and must be able to think that he could do both at a high level. Interesting to see how this plays out although I'd much rather see him thrown in as a LB then at QB (Vandy can't go down)

It sounds like he's got the size and frame (6'4" 232) to be a better defensive end than a linebacker. There's less depth there than at linebacker, especially next year.

Edds was 6'4 and about 235 or above, i see no difference, and until i see him on the field i won't believe it, i could see his brother or another TE making the switch, AJ switching would leave us with 2 Jr's at QB and 1 redshirting not sure i want that

Edds was 6'4 and about 235 or above, i see no difference, and until i see him on the field i won't believe it, i could see his brother or another TE making the switch, AJ switching would leave us with 2 Jr's at QB and 1 redshirting not sure i want that

And Iowa doesn't have a QB yet in this year's class, and may never add one. Which for 2012 would mean two seniors and a RS frosh, and for 2013 nothing but Rudock and true freshmen.

Considering his dad was an All Big Ten linebacker.....I'm guessing young AJ knows a few things about the position.....

Have felt that the move would come this spring after Rudock showed that he is a better passer. Would never have guessed it would happen in season. Will b interesting to see if he is on special teams this week.

And by the way, I will believe all of this when I see it. I am not saying anyone is intentionally making things up but this particular story has gone around and around for a long time now.

KF just mentioned how AJ was ripping up the first team defense on the scout team passing,so I think if he does move now,it would not preclude him moving back next year,or even this year if needed.

I see him as just getting antsy to contribute,as he has not been in a football game cept for a few plays in almost two years now. That has to be driving him crazy after starting at City High from his frosh year on.

I remember that MSU qb who tore up his knee playing special teams so there are risks,but I am sure that AJ knows that you are in danger everytime you step on the field.
I will never forget that Army All-Star game where he was on punt coverage and beat everyone down and cold-cocked that returner. At the time,we all thought this kid could be a savage defender if needed.

I am skeptical,but would not be shocked if he volunteered to help out as an emergency lber if anyone else goes down,and on special teams which are getting thinner with each injury.

The only thing I noticed was that he is no longer on the two deeps for QB. I know it may be due to suspension but you think Kirk would have had it stated JVB, JW and/or Derby but its not listed like that. Its just JVB and JW. I dont think he will make an impact this year at LB. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out and if he does make the switch I hope he resembles his dad on the field.

Have felt that the move would come this spring after Rudock showed that he is a better passer. Would never have guessed it would happen in season. Will b interesting to see if he is on special teams this week.

+1. That's exactly how I had it pegged...but if that seems inevitable, I guess may as well make the move now and switch Derby back to QB later in the year if needed (knock on wood JVB stays healthy). IF Derby has moved to LB, and that's a ginormous "IF," there needs to be some precipitating event to spark the change. Maybe this is also an indication of the coaches' feelings on the OL strength / gelling and QB recruit(s).

The only thing I noticed was that he is no longer on the two deeps for QB. I know it may be due to suspension but you think Kirk would have had it stated JVB, JW and/or Derby but its not listed like that. Its just JVB and JW. I dont think he will make an impact this year at LB. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out and if he does make the switch I hope he resembles his dad on the field.

The depth chart change was made due to suspension.

Latest posts