AJ Derby now a linebacker

I think when he got arrested, it gave the coaches some leverage to move him. Either you move or you're off the team, kinda thing. Because this really worries me if Vandenberg gets hurt.Derby beat out Wienke in a hurry, who's since moved to holder, and Rudock is a true freshmen. Rudock must be amazing.

no chance in hell they said that to him.

Put me in the, doubt that this is accurate, line. I'll believe it when I see it in print.
But then we all know how transparent Kirk is with the media.

Regardless of who is/was the backup, this season is up in flames if JVB were to go down.

Like I said in the other thread, Iowa has been down this road before. In 2008 we had: Rick, Jake C., McNutt, JVB, Wienke.

During that season they moved McNutt to WR. That left them with: Stanzi, Jake, and in effect JVB as a true freshman as the 3rd QB who traveled to every game.

BTW if he moved our special teams just got better.

^^^This^^^
We can't have our #2 QB risking injury on kickoff's, but we just got an athlete that wants to see the field, and it will start on Special Teams. I could see him getting some time on defense when the Michigan's roll into town

Beginning to have serious doubts about the veracity of these reports. I join the camp of I'll believe it when I see it.

I think this will eventually happen and have felt that way since he committed.

However, I don't think you move your #2 QB to linebacker in the middle of a season when he has never (or very rarely) worked out there. UNLESS things were very close between he and Wienke...but given Kirk's history of giving coin flips like that to the older player, I don't know that is the case either.

I guess I'd be very shocked were this the case. this isn't high school, you can't just move over to play LB on a whim

I think this will eventually happen and have felt that way since he committed.

However, I don't think you move your #2 QB to linebacker in the middle of a season when he has never (or very rarely) worked out there. UNLESS things were very close between he and Wienke...but given Kirk's history of giving coin flips like that to the older player, I don't know that is the case either.

I guess I'd be very shocked were this the case. this isn't high school, you can't just move over to play LB on a whim

On a whim, Bullock moved from WR to RB. What was the motive for that "whim?" Depth issues at RB ... of course!

Now fast forward to today. Hitchens and Morris currently have ankle issues. Getz and DiBona are already out for the season. Poggi is currently out with shoulder issues. And to top it all off ... Nielsen is just recovering from foot issues ... and now he's dealing with 3 broken fingers!

Who else do we have at LB? Alston and Collins are TR FR. And Donatell has clearly been a bit overwhelmed at the LEO spot ... he cannot keep up in coverage ... and he obviously doesn't have the size to set the edge.

So where do we OBVIOUSLY have depth issues? LB!

Also, how often have past Hawkeyes gained their starting spot by making the most of opportunities they received because other guys were injured? THE ANSWER ... it's happened A LOT! (Luebke, Hunter, Spievey, Prater, Edds, etc ... all gained critical experience under such circumstances)

Quite frankly, the window of opportunity here ... particularly at LEO, couldn't be better for AJ.

Whim ... really?

Last edited:
On a whim, Bullock moved from WR to RB. What was the motive for that "whim?" Depth issues at RB ... of course!

Now fast forward to today. Hitchens and Morris currently have ankle issues. Getz and DiBona are already out for the season. Poggi is currently out with shoulder issues. And to top it all off ... Nielsen is just recovering from foot issues ... and now he's dealing with 3 broken fingers!

Who else do we have at LB? Alston and Collins are TR FR. And Donatell has clearly been a bit overwhelmed at the LEO spot ... he cannot keep up in coverage ... and he obviously doesn't have the size to set the edge.

So where do we OBVIOUSLY have depth issues? LB!

Also, how often have past Hawkeyes gained their starting spot by making the most of opportunities they received because other guys were injured? THE ANSWER ... it's happened A LOT! (Luebke, Hunter, Spievey, Prater, Edds, etc ... all gained critical experience under such circumstances)

Quite frankly, the window of opportunity here ... particularly at LEO, couldn't be better for AJ.

Whim ... really?

I would agree with Homer that the only way I could buy this rumor is that they're moving Derby to strengthen the linebacker depth at least until next year, when Ruddock will give them more QB depth without worrying about pulling his shirt, allowing coaches the option to experiment with Derby at LB if he's open to it. Derby may not even officially "switch" positions unless they find out they need him. My guess, if this rumor is true, is they're getting him ready for that possibility.

didnt kirk just comment on his excellent passing skills on monday?

And yet it is rumored that just now he is starting to practice at LB. Thus, Ferentz's comment was made before any change was made.

Given Ferentz's MO ... he rarely advertises position changes until they "take."

Just look at Hyde at safety ... he had been getting reps there before it was ever remarked upon publicly by Ferentz. Of course, Hyde also moved back to CB. Given the circumstances ... we just don't know how things will unfold ... until they do.

The reality is he was probably asked to move so that in the event someone else went down he would we would not he completely unprepared at that position. He's had a year and a half in the system at qb now. He's not going to lose that if he prepares at LB for the remainder of the season. We do little if any hitting in practice at this point in the season so its not like practicing at LB is a big injury risk.

If JVB went down on Saturday Derby would be able to move right back to QB. Both he and Winke would need to go down before. Ruddock sees the field this year.

Don't you think Iowa would benefit from having Derby's speed out there when Michigan comes to town to stop/slow down Robinson's running ability?? Start practicing now and maybe get a few reps in against Indiana to get his feet wet.

Even if he's practicing is imagine he's doing so only on an emergency basis and a couple more guys would have to go down before he'd see the field.

Don't you think Iowa would benefit from having Derby's speed out there when Michigan comes to town to stop/slow down Robinson's running ability?? Start practicing now and maybe get a few reps in against Indiana to get his feet wet.

I dont think Derby is faster than Kirksey, Hutchins, Morris or Nielsen so I doubt that would make much difference when facing Michigan. The key would be knowing assignments and technique if fighting off blockers.

I will still have to see it to believe the change has been made.

I dont think Derby is faster than Kirksey, Hutchins, Morris or Nielsen so I doubt that would make much difference when facing Michigan. The key would be knowing assignments and technique if fighting off blockers.

I was under the impression that Derby was much faster than those guys.

Derby is a low 4.8 guy. Nielsen is a high 4.5 guy. Those are Iowa's laser times, not mine.

Football speed may be different. I guess we will see.

Last edited:
didnt kirk just comment on his excellent passing skills on monday?

The decision to switch to LB was made Tuesday morning and AJ had his first practice with LB on Tuesday afternoon. Plan is to play special teams now, possibly this week but not confirmed, with goal of getting some reps at LB later in season.

Latest posts