AJ Derby now a linebacker

On a tangential note....

McNutt moved to WR at almost the exact same time in his career, the 2nd half of his RS FR year.

If this is true, I could guess at the psychology of it from Derby's stand point. He got arrested and suspended for two games. He let the team down and knows it. He now wants to do everything he possibly can to help the team out the rest of the year.

I don't believe it. Why would he go from second string QB, and face it, he is second string even though the depth chart says otherwise, i.e. jason white, to linebacker? Especially taking into account he is only a RSFR and he says he won't change, and Kirk's recent comments. Doesn't make sense, unless it is completely an emergency situation where they don't think they will have Nielsen, Morris or Hitchens.

D79. I have come to learn that when things get this type of momentum and nobody puts on the brakes, it's usually accurate.

It sounds like he's got the size and frame (6'4" 232) to be a better defensive end than a linebacker. There's less depth there than at linebacker, especially next year.

Good point, a little small for an end but he's young. Could be a more athletic version of Eds at the outside spot- (I understand this whole thread is conjecture :)) but fun to speculate.

He wasn't one play away from being the starting QB tho

I think he would be the starter in the case of an emergency, this year, only. I think eventually someone would pass him on the depth chart. He can read the writing on the wall.

Last edited:
Yeah, but that was just a cease and desist order. It wasn't like most people were downright claiming it wasn't true.

Its not like Weinke is Jason Manson here. He is more than serviceable and I doubt the difference between he and Derby is much.

The fact is we have a huge need at LB right now, we have no need at QB for the moment and mostly likely won't. I can think of only a hand full of times the last 10+ years where we have actually needed the backup QB.

This is a very high percentage gamble vs. having Donatell as your starting LB.

Didn't AJ Edds make the switch to LB mid way through his true freshman year to become a starter?

Q: Did Nielsen have surgery Sunday?
Kirk Ferentz: We have a lot of guys with bumps and bruises. No one has been ruled out and we’ll see what happens during the week.

Is it just me or did Kirk totally elude this question? If Nielsen and Morris can't go, I could see them using Derby in an emergency move. The coaches probably found out these guys will be a no go and hit the panic button.

i will say that derbys lateral quickness is likely better than all of those mentioned above. he may not blow you away with a 40 time but ive seen him on the basketball court and he was VERY VERY quick.

Straight speed is not a big issue at LB.

Its more about instincts, reaction time and athleticism. Being able to beat blocks is the most important thing and then coverage technique.

Derbys size and athleticism are perfectly suited for LB.

Dolph on Hawk Talk just said AJ still on O-fence as of now but he will ask KF when he makes it in from practice.

Last edited:

Latest posts