Aaron White!

What about the people projecting an NBA career 10 games into the soph year?

I am not one of those, that seems silly as well.

Sticking with the Ryan Bowen theme a bit longer though - Through 10 games of his Soph year would you have said "there's a guy who will have a 10 year NBA career"?

I don't think I would have.

I am not one of those, that seems silly as well.

Sticking with the Ryan Bowen theme a bit longer though - Through 10 games of his Soph year would you have said "there's a guy who will have a 10 year NBA career"?

I don't think I would have.

Good point.

" Bowen was 6-9 225 when he played professionally "

I got the stats from BasketballReference.com. I figure they were using his NBA height and weight. College figures are notoriously unreliable.

I am not saying Aaron is Ryan Bowen, just saying I am not going to dismiss a possible NBA career 10 games into a Soph campaign.

Don't worry about exact size! I am not Herby! I would bet Bowen was probably in the middle of his listed college/nba size. He was probably like 6'8 and 220 when he played in the NBA.

I agree I would not have envisioned Bowen in the NBA watching him play in college but I was too focused on his offensive game I think. White is a way more well rounded player than Bowen was and it's not really close.

What NBA scouts, coaches and GM's find is what does a player do above average as it is REALLY, REALLY hard to make the NBA. Bowen was blessed with great feet which allowed him to play in the NBA as pick and roll is a MAJOR aspect of the NBA and he had the ability to hedge out to a guard and recover to the PF.

So it's not like you can just say no one projected Bowen so it means you can't project players. If you are a trained scout (which I am not) you can tell who has skills that are above average enough to play in the NBA. There are sites today like NBA draft express which helps us average people maybe see what people say about players early so we can say well they do see that skill as above avearge.

Look at Steve Novak (can't defend anyone really) but he is 6'10 has a high quick release and shoots the three ball at a 44% Career Clip. He is simply in the NBA because he can SHOOT. You would not have watched him at Marquette and said he is an NBA player for 6+ years.

With White I am not sure what one skill he has that makes him above average enough to stick in the NBA.

He does a lot of things pretty well but I don't know what he is great at. I think his best bet at the NBA is to become a way better shooter from NBA distance and be a streatch 4 at the NBA level. Make it on doing a lot of things well but not great but he needs to be a near great shooter from distance like 36+%

Last edited:
Ok, I accept the boos if you wish to give them...

White is playing out of position.
He's a natural small forward playing as a power forward. IMO, he has the budding skills of a Larry Bird.
He can usually juke the typically more cumbersome power forward out on the perimeter, but he usually can't compete under the basket with the typical power forward...

Woodbury has a lot placed on his shoulders with White (and Basabe).
Gabe Olaseni needs to blossom. There's that kid that transferred from state - Dean Uthoff..
Maybe Aaron can get bulkier. Learn some lower post moves..

Last edited:

He's a natural small forward playing as a power forward. IMO, he has the budding skills of a Larry Bird.
He can usually juke the typically more cumbersome power forward out on the perimeter, but he usually can't compete under the basket with the typical power forward...

Gabe Olaseni needs to blossom. There's that kid that transferred from state - Dean Uthoff..

Not Larry Bird, more like a combination of Dominique Wilkins and Scottie Pippin.

Maybe Aaron can get bulkier. Learn some lower post moves..

You should really stick to being a bigot over on the P/C board, because you have no clue what you are talking about.

Don't worry about exact size! I am not Herby! I would bet Bowen was probably in the middle of his listed college/nba size. He was probably like 6'8 and 220 when he played in the NBA.

I agree I would not have envisioned Bowen in the NBA watching him play in college but I was too focused on his offensive game I think. White is a way more well rounded player than Bowen was and it's not really close.

What NBA scouts, coaches and GM's find is what does a player do above average as it is REALLY, REALLY hard to make the NBA. Bowen was blessed with great feet which allowed him to play in the NBA as pick and roll is a MAJOR aspect of the NBA and he had the ability to hedge out to a guard and recover to the PF.

So it's not like you can just say no one projected Bowen so it means you can't project players. If you are a trained scout (which I am not) you can tell who has skills that are above average enough to play in the NBA. There are sites today like NBA draft express which helps us average people maybe see what people say about players early so we can say well they do see that skill as above avearge.

Look at Steve Novak (can't defend anyone really) but he is 6'10 has a high quick release and shoots the three ball at a 44% Career Clip. He is simply in the NBA because he can SHOOT. You would not have watched him at Marquette and said he is an NBA player for 6+ years.

With White I am not sure what one skill he has that makes him above average enough to stick in the NBA.

He does a lot of things pretty well but I don't know what he is great at. I think his best bet at the NBA is to become a way better shooter from NBA distance and be a streatch 4 at the NBA level. Make it on doing a lot of things well but not great but he needs to be a near great shooter from distance like 36+%

Actually I did think this while he was in college. I told many people that he was going to be the next Eric Piatkowski.

Aaron has some natural tools that scout love, especially his length and explosiveness jumping as he is very quick off the floor.

What Aaron white does exceptionally well is get to the basket with both hands, flashes and cuts without the ball extremely well and rebound in traffic using his length. I agree he needs to build a solid core and keep working on his confidence shooting the 3 ball but to say that Aaron doesn't have the skills to play in the NBA is just silly.

I challenge you to name anyone playing college ball who is 6'9", runs the floor the way Aaron does, passes the way he does, gets to the lane with either hand as often as he does, cuts for open baskets as often as he does or that has his intangibles like length, jumping ability and leadership.

If all goes well, and he keeps lifting, he keeps his nose clean and gets good grades Whitey will have a legitimate shot at a good NBA career.

I challenge you to name anyone playing college ball who is 6'9", runs the floor the way Aaron does, passes the way he does, gets to the lane with either hand as often as he does, cuts for open baskets as often as he does or that has his intangibles like length, jumping ability and leadership.

Are you freaking kidding? Just about every small forward in the NBA does that. Most NBA small forwards are in the 6'7"-6'10" range and between 220 and 245, can run the floor, get to the basket, and pass well. That's why they're in the NBA.

I honestly think FTM has NEVER watched an NBA game, or he's just trolling. I mean, I am stuck between laughing at his posts or being awed by his ignorance.

Are you freaking kidding? Just about every small forward in the NBA does that. Most NBA small forwards are in the 6'7"-6'10" range and between 220 and 245, can run the floor, get to the basket, and pass well. That's why they're in the NBA.

I honestly think FTM has NEVER watched an NBA game, or he's just trolling. I mean, I am stuck between laughing at his posts or being awed by his ignorance.

Yeah NBA forwards do the things AW does. Thanks for proving my point.

Aaron has some natural tools that scout love, especially his length and explosiveness jumping as he is very quick off the floor.

What Aaron white does exceptionally well is get to the basket with both hands, flashes and cuts without the ball extremely well and rebound in traffic using his length. I agree he needs to build a solid core and keep working on his confidence shooting the 3 ball but to say that Aaron doesn't have the skills to play in the NBA is just silly.

If all goes well, and he keeps lifting, he keeps his nose clean and gets good grades Whitey will have a legitimate shot at a good NBA career.

Since when is the bolded item even remotely a requirement to play in the NBA?

Aaron has more than enough time to develop an NBA game, and he's got beaucoup intangibles to help him get there. But Ghost is right; if he were to play in an NBA game tomorrow, it would go...poorly.

My bad, guys. I didn't read all of his posts. Ghosts is definitely not right. To say that Aaron White definitively will not play in the NBA is preposterous. Dude's got a shot. A good one at that.

For what it's worth DraftExpress.com has him ranked 42nd best NBA prospect in his class

DraftExpress NBA Draft Prospect Profile: Aaron White, Stats, Comparisons, and Outlook

And with a lot of room to put weight on his frame and time to work on his shot I feel that you are going to eat your words by the time AW leaves Iowa Ghost.

You realize 42 guys are not going to be drafted out of Aaron's class right? You also realize that there are 41 guys who also have time to work on their game before they leave college.

Aaron is too small to play 4 in the NBA. He's almost too small to play 3 in the NBA. He (more than likely [there, happy]) will not develop the requisite size or speed to play in the NBA in the next 2 1/2 years.

So, while it is possible he could play in the NBA some day, he more than likely will not.

#onlyasithdealsinabsolutes

Latest posts