Aaron White!

Guess we'll just have to wait 2 and a 1/2 years. I'm not saying he's NBA ready but with more strength, a more consistent 3pt. shot and an inch or two in growth and he's got a real shot. He's already grown an inch while on campus and he spent this off-season conditioning to play the 3. Let's see if he perminently becomes a 4 what he looks like after an off season preparing to bang down low.

Guess we'll just have to wait 2 and a 1/2 years. I'm not saying he's NBA ready but with more strength, a more consistent 3pt. shot and an inch or two in growth and he's got a real shot. He's already grown an inch while on campus and he spent this off-season conditioning to play the 3. Let's see if he perminently becomes a 4 what he looks like after an off season preparing to bang down low.

His best shot is trying to become bigger and stronger to be a legit 4 in the nba. He has way too much to get better at to be looked at as a 3. I think even fran and aaron would say the experiment with him at the 3 failed. He is just more natural as a face up 4.

Sorry you do understand the NBA well!

I agree the game is guard dominated in that they don't allow near the hand checking they used to so it's easier to get into the lane.

I think some of the lack of post game is just a part of evolution. Maybe it was the euro's that lead the way showing that you can space the floor better with 6'10 guys who can put the ball on the floor and have 18 foot plus range on jump shots. This lead to young players who are taller to work on that part of their game more than pure post stuff. I think sometimes big kids did not not want to get forced to play the post just because they were tall and it helps when they see big guys at the highest level who have more than just a post game. I think it's just evolution of the game more than anything.

I mean NBA teams don't want to waste roster space on straight up goons any more. It seems like you saw a bunch of players like that around the NBA in the 80's especially. They were not good players but they used their 6 fouls to just hammer anyone who tried to get to the hoop via the lane.

I don't see it as players being less skilled now because they don't have back to the basket game I consider today's player way more skilled.

The funny thing is when I watch NBA games from the 1988 - 1994 time frame which really does not feel that long ago I look at players and they look like a joke. They are just so skinny looking compared to today's NBA player.

Guys have gotten bigger, stronger and faster and I guess I feel that they have actually improved upon their overall game.

I agree with you that the post game seems to be the part of the game that players seem to not work on as much anymore. I think they still allow a lot of contact on the blocks so maybe some players feel shooting an open 15 foot shot is a better shot than trying to bang your way through heavy contact to shoot a shot around the block area.

Im sorry you don't understand that your wrong..

If you compare future hall of fame post players from the 90s and 2000s vs players playing at a potential hall of fame level now its at least 5 to 1 if not closer to 10 to 1 ratio in favor of the past. Said players would have a field day on the block against most NBA posts of today.

Im sorry you don't understand that your wrong..

If you compare future hall of fame post players from the 90s and 2000s vs players playing at a potential hall of fame level now its at least 5 to 1 if not closer to 10 to 1 ratio in favor of the past. Said players would have a field day on the block against most NBA posts of today.

That's because the floor mechanics have changed. The low post game clogs up the lane, so the basic attack of modern basketball, dribble penetration, would be taken away. We've been in a high post era, and we're probably going to stay there. The 5 is not a difference maker anymore in the NBA. In fact, teams are better off with a defense, rebounding, and passing 5 than a scoring 5, because it allows penetrating 1-4s to create more shots than in an 80s-90s style offense.

The 7-foot kid who wants to go to the NBA develops high post skills -- the pick and roll vocabulary of ball screens, passing, and midrange jump shots to go with some low post moves. Then he gets out of the way and lets the wings do their thing.

I think Woody has good shot at developing into an NBA 5. He has really good hands and half court vision, and a 5 who can quickly hit the open man is a valuable weapon for a high post NBA scheme.

Latest posts