Aaron White!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the most similar player to Aaron White (skillsetwise, not skill level) is Lamar Odom.

Ok, I accept the boos if you wish to give them...

White is playing out of position.
He's a natural small forward playing as a power forward. IMO, he has the budding skills of a Larry Bird.
He can usually juke the typically more cumbersome power forward out on the perimeter, but he usually can't compete under the basket with the typical power forward...

Woodbury has a lot placed on his shoulders with White (and Basabe).
Gabe Olaseni needs to blossom. There's that kid that transferred from state - Dean Uthoff..
Maybe Aaron can get bulkier. Learn some lower post moves..

Ok, where did I go wrong, 136?

In this thread? The bolded parts.

Keith Van Horn was 6'10" 240, and shot 40% from 3 in college. White and Van Horn share no similarities except for one.

Disagree. More than one similarity, just looked into his sophomore stats. Van Horn was 6-10 220 at the time, White is 6-8 218. White will add 10-15 pounds by the time he is a senior. Go on YouTube and watch Van Horns highlight reels around the rim. Very similar. Alley oops, running the floor dunks/put backs. You are right about Van Horn being a better shooter. He was nasty from three point range. I wish I knew how to post a link to that highlight reel on YouTube and his sophomore stats/Ht/Wt.

I go back to Ryan Bowen. Both are about 6'9''. Both are lean,wiry body-types. Both have good ball skills,can handle and guard multiple positions. Both are just average shooters,but above average rebounders for their size. Both are gamers,with intangible benefits based on stellar instincts.
Bowen was probably a bit more athletic,and Aaron might be a bit better shooter...but otherwise,spot on.

Disagree. More than one similarity, just looked into his sophomore stats. Van Horn was 6-10 220 at the time, White is 6-8 218. White will add 10-15 pounds by the time he is a senior. Go on YouTube and watch Van Horns highlight reels around the rim. Very similar. Alley oops, running the floor dunks/put backs. You are right about Van Horn being a better shooter. He was nasty from three point range. I wish I knew how to post a link to that highlight reel on YouTube and his sophomore stats/Ht/Wt.

In Keith Van Horn's sophomore season at Utah, he averaged 21 points and almost 9 rebounds per game.

MIN FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG TPG BPG SPG PPG
93-94 Utah 29.6 51.6 44.3 77.5 8.3 0.8 2.2 1.6 0.8 18.3
94-95 Utah 30.1 54.5 38.6 85.6 8.5 1.4 2.3 0.8 0.8 21.0
95-96 Utah 30.9 53.8 40.9 85.1 8.8 1.0 2.3 0.7 0.7 21.4
96-97 Utah 31.5 49.2 38.7 90.4 9.5 1.4 2.5 1.2 0.7 22.0
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTALS 30.6 52.2 40.1 85.1 8.8 1.2 2.3 1.0 0.7 20.8

In Keith Van Horn's sophomore season at Utah, he averaged 21 points and almost 9 rebounds per game.

TOTALS 30.6 52.2 40.1 85.1 8.8 1.2 2.3 1.0 0.7 20.8[/QUOT

Yes he did average 21ppg. Aren't we talking about comparisons here? I never said he was better than Van Horn. He was almost the exact same size as White during his sophomore season and it is very early in Whites sophomore season. In that video I posted it completely reminds me of White around the rim. If White can consistently develop a jump shot he will be unreal. Comparable to Van Horn :) Reminds me of him no doubt.

TOTALS 30.6 52.2 40.1 85.1 8.8 1.2 2.3 1.0 0.7 20.8

Aaron is averaging 14 and 7 so it's not like he's a project.

TOTALS 30.6 52.2 40.1 85.1 8.8 1.2 2.3 1.0 0.7 20.8[/QUOT

Yes he did average 21ppg. Aren't we talking about comparisons here? I never said he was better than Van Horn. He was almost the exact same size as White during his sophomore season and it is very early in Whites sophomore season. In that video I posted it completely reminds me of White around the rim. If White can consistently develop a jump shot he will be unreal. Comparable to Van Horn :) Reminds me of him no doubt.

Agree and I remember watching Keith playing for the nets and one thing that Aaron has over Keith IMO is Aaron is a better ball-handler. Also White may be a better athlete and a little longer but they are very comparable!

So can we count you in the AW will have an NBA career club then, DeezHawkNuts?:)

I go back to Ryan Bowen. Both are about 6'9''. Both are lean,wiry body-types. Both have good ball skills,can handle and guard multiple positions. Both are just average shooters,but above average rebounders for their size. Both are gamers,with intangible benefits based on stellar instincts.
Bowen was probably a bit more athletic,and Aaron might be a bit better shooter...but otherwise,spot on.

Bowen made the league due to his FEET! How many times do I have to explain this for people. Bowen was 6'8, had a long wing span and moved his feet defensviely like very few guys his size. He was excellent defending the pick and roll which is HUGE in the NBA. He could hedge on the guard and have quick enough feet to keep the guard from dribbling around him right away and he was quick enough to rotate back to the guy he was guarding. He could do this time after time as he played hard as well. That ONE skill got him to the NBA.

He had one way above average skill which got him to the NBA. 1a. Lateral Foot Speed 1b. hustle.

This is what gets players to the NBA being way above average in at least one facet of your game gets you a shot.

Last edited:
Agree and I remember watching Keith playing for the nets and one thing that Aaron has over Keith IMO is Aaron is a better ball-handler. Also White may be a better athlete and a little longer but they are very comparable!

So can we count you in the AW will have an NBA career club then, DeezHawkNuts?:)

Fran I do think there is a possibility at A career but not sure how good it would be, so early in the game. If he develops that three ball like you said for sure. But I think his defensive development along with the shot will decide THAT NBA possibility. It is going to be fun to watch eh! :)

Bowen made the league due to his FEET! How many times do I have to explain this for people. Bowen was 6'8, had a long wing span and moved his feet defensviely like very few guys his size. He was excellent defending the pick and roll which is HUGE in the NBA. He could hedge on the guard and have quick enough feet to keep the guard from dribbling around him right away and he was quick enough to rotate back to the guy he was guarding. He could do this time after time as he played hard as well. That ONE skill got him to the NBA.

He had one way above average skill which got him to the NBA. 1a. Lateral Foot Speed 1b. hustle.

This is what gets players to the NBA being way above average in at least one facet of your game gets you a shot.

This.

And this is what most of ya'll are not getting. Stop looking at height, weight, stats, and drawing broad, out of context comparisons and look at skills.

Bowen got to the NBA by defense and rebounding. Bullard with his 3 ball. Koch got a look with his 3ball. White is a nice college player, but he hasn't shown flashes of being exceptional at one skill, let alone two or three.

The one kid on the current roster who has a real shot at the NBA is Woodbury.

It is probably fair to say Aaron has a very slim shot at being an NBA player: as is the case for the vast, vast majority of college players.

For every Ryan Bowen you have Andre Woolridges, Horners, Brunners, Huluskas; beyond that, you have the greats who barely drank a cup of joe in the NBA: Marble, Horton, Oliver, etc.

The breaks will undoubtedly have to go Aaron's way for him to emerge. I hope it happens.

WTF? White is not a better athlete, nor was he longer. I'll give you the ball handling thing, but White is not in Van Horn's universe when it comes to athleticism and length. Then add that Van Horn was always an amazing shooter, and a great off the ball player (which Aaron is not), they are not similar players at all. Aaron is more of an energy player who attacks the basket and thrives on broken plays and transition. KVH was a great half court player.

I wish I could live in this fantasy world you constructed FTM....

Ok, I accept the boos if you wish to give them...

White is playing out of position.
He's a natural small forward playing as a power forward. IMO, he has the budding skills of a Larry Bird.
He can usually juke the typically more cumbersome power forward out on the perimeter, but he usually can't compete under the basket with the typical power forward...

Woodbury has a lot placed on his shoulders with White (and Basabe).
Gabe Olaseni needs to blossom. There's that kid that transferred from state - Dean Uthoff..
Maybe Aaron can get bulkier. Learn some lower post moves..

He ha always reminded me of a young Larry Bird for some reason, not nearly as good with the three but more athletic......

I am not talking about Larry Bird his senior year or as a NBA All Star. White is a Sophomore with a huge upside......

:)

WTF? White is not a better athlete, nor was he longer. I'll give you the ball handling thing, but White is not in Van Horn's universe when it comes to athleticism and length. Then add that Van Horn was always an amazing shooter, and a great off the ball player (which Aaron is not), they are not similar players at all. Aaron is more of an energy player who attacks the basket and thrives on broken plays and transition. KVH was a great half court player.

I wish I could live in this fantasy world you constructed FTM....

BS Ghost. To say that Aaron is not in KVH universe athletically is completely wrong. He looks pretty athletic ATTACKING that hoop. Didn't you watch that vid I posted? Those moves of him ATTACKING the basket has Aaron White comparisons. Period. Remember this is just the start of his Sophomore season. Has over 2 2/3 years left to polish these skills under Fran McCaffery. Was he a great off the ball/half court player as a sophomore at Utah? I don't know..

Latest posts