Aaron White Summer League Mix (EDIT: It's now Jordan vs. Bird)

Your entitled to your opinion. I just happen to think its wacky.

What made Bird truly great were his instincts. The way he reacted was quicker and different than everyone else. You can't teach that, you can't even really define it.

Aaron White doesn't have that and neither does anyone else.

That just my opinion from watching many years of basketball.

I will say this, Aaron White is going to be the best hawkeye we've had since Andre Woolridge.
What made him truly great was his shooting ability. One of the best shooters in the history of man. Without that ability to put the ball in the hole, his instincts don't matter that much. Without that shooting ability, he's just another in a long line of scrappy, instinctual guys. The shot is what separated him from anyone else with those characteristics. Until Aaron White develops some semblance of that shot, let's just stop mentioning him in the same breath as Larry freaking Bird.

Simply out of idle curiousity, Rock and Rog, when did you watch Bird play in college at iIndiana State his Sophomore year. You do realize he was playing in the Missouri Valley Conference, you know, the confernce that Drake and UNI play in. Aaron White played in the Big Ten Conference which some people believe is one of the better conferences in America. Perhaps you have heard this. If not look it up on Google. As a freshman, as the season went on, Aaron played almost better than Bird did as a Sophomore. If you did not see him play at Indiana State then you do Not have a clue what you are talking about......

If you are comparing Freshman White to Boston Celtic Bird, there might be a difference. When Aaron improves his three to the point that it is dependable, he will be a force to be reckoned with, not that he already is not. Do you remember Bird racing in from the wings slamming the ball or coming from nowhere to slam a missed shot in. Aaron's instincts are Very Good and will only get better.....

Please let me know what you thought of Bird as a Sophomore at Indiana State from personal observation, and I jiust might consider giving your posts a dash of credibility.....

Nothing is going to change my mind on this and keep coming back because I am really enjoying this conversation.....

Remember reading comprehension is your only friend at this point.....

Enjoy the day as I know I will.....

Peace out, Bros.....

:D

Last edited:
Do you remember Bird racing in from the wings slamming the ball or coming from nowhere to slam a missed shot in. Aaron's instincts are Very Good and will only get better.....

Thats kind of my point though. Theres more differences than similarities.

The player Aaron reminds me the most of is Robert Horry.

I hope your correct in your prediction though.

What made him truly great was his shooting ability. One of the best shooters in the history of man. Without that ability to put the ball in the hole, his instincts don't matter that much. Without that shooting ability, he's just another in a long line of scrappy, instinctual guys.

Thats definetly true too, the two go together but most guys who are great shooters have to run off screens to get open because they can't create with the ball in their hands or they have to be great athletes like Kobe or MJ.

Bird was not very athletic but could get his shot off so easily from anywhere because of how he could set up defenders and see things that others couldn't. You could never predict what he was going to do. He was also one of the two or three best passers ever.

Thats why I said its hard to even define.

Last edited:
I think the Larry Bird was set back by his time with Bobby Knight and picking up trash before he went to ISU -- just kidding. I do think Aaron White the 2nd year collegian is much better than Aaron White the 1st year collegian who was much better than Aaron White the high school player. If he continues to develop with the same level of improvement every year, there is a very high ceiling for him. Whether or not he can become one of the all time greats only time will tell, but he is on a very good basketball trajectory right now and I am glad he is on our team!

What made him truly great was his shooting ability. One of the best shooters in the history of man. Without that ability to put the ball in the hole, his instincts don't matter that much. Without that shooting ability, he's just another in a long line of scrappy, instinctual guys. The shot is what separated him from anyone else with those characteristics. Until Aaron White develops some semblance of that shot, let's just stop mentioning him in the same breath as Larry freaking Bird.

This is akin to saying that without the outrageous burning desire to win, Michael Jordan would be just another in a long line of supremely talented scorers (see: perception of LeBron pre-June 2012).

Very, very few of the game's great shooters could do the other things Bird could. He wasn't your garden variety "crafty" player; he was the absolute master of "craft". His fakes to create his own shot, or set up others, were brilliant. Few, if any players have demonstrated that kind of wizardry, before or since.

The shooting is obviously a big factor, and without it, Bird may not be considered one of the top 5 to ever play.

But by the same token, he wouldn't be in that pantheon without his instincts and craft. Shooting alone, even the best ever, is not enough. Had Bird been simply a very good, but not impeccable shooter (but had all the craft), he'd still be one of the top 50 players of all time, IMO. If he were just the best shooter ever, I'm not sure you could say that.

Simply out of idle curiousity, Rock and Rog, when did you watch Bird play in college at iIndiana State his Sophomore year. You do realize he was playing in the Missouri Valley Conference, you know, the confernce that Drake and UNI play in. Aaron White played in the Big Ten Conference which some people believe is one of the better conferences in America. Perhaps you have heard this. If not look it up on Google. As a freshman, as the season went on, Aaron played almost better than Bird did as a Sophomore. If you did not see him play at Indiana State then you do Not have a clue what you are talking about......

If you are comparing Freshman White to Boston Celtic Bird, there might be a difference. When Aaron improves his three to the point that it is dependable, he will be a force to be reckoned with, not that he already is not. Do you remember Bird racing in from the wings slamming the ball or coming from nowhere to slam a missed shot in. Aaron's instincts are Very Good and will only get better.....

Please let me know what you thought of Bird as a Sophomore at Indiana State from personal observation, and I jiust might consider giving your posts a dash of credibility.....

Nothing is going to change my mind on this and keep coming back because I am really enjoying this conversation.....

Peace out, Bros.....

who cares if they aren't old enough to watch him play personally, doesn't change the fact that bird averaged in the ballpark of 30,10,5 in each of his years at ISU, and in his sophomore year (the only year you will let us talk about) was an all-american.

even you in all your wisdom cannot say that aaron white would put those numbers up....even in the "pathetic" mvc...

so white had a good year...good for him, but to say that he is on track with on larry legend is laughable.

remember...rationality is your only friend.

This is akin to saying that without the outrageous burning desire to win, Michael Jordan would be just another in a long line of supremely talented scorers (see: perception of LeBron pre-June 2012).

Very, very few of the game's great shooters could do the other things Bird could. He wasn't your garden variety "crafty" player; he was the absolute master of "craft". His fakes to create his own shot, or set up others, were brilliant. Few, if any players have demonstrated that kind of wizardry, before or since.

The shooting is obviously a big factor, and without it, Bird may not be considered one of the top 5 to ever play.

But by the same token, he wouldn't be in that pantheon without his instincts and craft. Shooting alone, even the best ever, is not enough. Had Bird been simply a very good, but not impeccable shooter (but had all the craft), he'd still be one of the top 50 players of all time, IMO. If he were just the best shooter ever, I'm not sure you could say that.

Well said.

Peace out, Bros.....

Very, very well written Jack.

who cares if they aren't old enough to watch him play personally, doesn't change the fact that bird averaged in the ballpark of 30,10,5 in each of his years at ISU, and in his sophomore year (the only year you will let us talk about) was an all-american.

even you in all your wisdom cannot say that aaron white would put those numbers up....even in the "pathetic" mvc...

so white had a good year...good for him, but to say that he is on track with on larry legend is laughable.

Frank. Frank. Frank. Tell me something. Is the only thing that matters the numbers? I don't think it is. White is indeed NOT Larry Legend, however, as some are pointing out, White's game STRONGLY RESEMBLES that of Mr Bird in several areas. There is simply no denying that. Is there something wrong with making such a comparison? Will he ever reach the same level or close to that of Bird? For some reason I'm thinking not even you know the answer to that one.

Last edited:
If olesani can develop into David Robinson and mccabe into barkley and mikey like stockton... well have a dream team!!!

Peace out, Bros.....

I'll have you know that 6 years before I was in my mom's womb I witnessed Bird drop 30 a game for ISU that year. :D

All I know is what the stats and reports say, and they all say Bird was one of the top 10 basketball players of all time. It'd be great if Aaron White came close to that. I just think the comparisons at this stage are premature.

Frank, Frank, Frank.....

Bird scored his ponts in a very weak Missouri Valley Conference. His numbers would have been a little lower in the Big Ten. How did he do in his last college game against a Big Ten team. Lets take a look, shall we......

magic-bird-cover.jpg

Shall we take a glance at the scoring line for the game against a Big Ten team that did not want the Hawks to make the tournament because they did NOT want to have to play the Hawks again.....

Magic's stats:

8-15 from the field: 8-10 from the free throw line: 7 rebounds: 3 fouls and 24 points......

Bird's stats:

7-21 from the field: 5-8 from the free throw line: 13 rebounds: 3 fouls and 19 points in an eleven point loss.......

Team totals from the game: Michigan State: 26-43.....

Indiana State: 27-64

Just imagine how he would have done in the Big Ten instead of the Mo Valley Conference. Don't get me wrong, Bird is my favorite player and I have loved the Celts since Red Auerbaugh coached them, but Bird is not a deity worthy of fawning worship.....as good as he was, believe it or not, HE does not walk on water......

:)

Last edited:
I'll have you know that 6 years before I was in my mom's womb I witnessed Bird drop 30 a game for ISU that year. :D

All I know is what the stats and reports say, and they all say Bird was one of the top 10 basketball players of all time. It'd be great if Aaron White came close to that. I just think the comparisons at this stage are premature.
Definitely premature, Rog, but, in my opinion, because of the similarities worthy of consideration.....

I don't expect Aaron to become an NBA Hall of Fame player, but i do like his potential.....

Is it tip off time yet. Next thing ya know one of you guys will start talking about food and I will have to go buy some lunch. This could be one of the most anticipated seasons for hawkeye fans in both football and basketball and if for no other reason than for expectations in seeing how things turn out with the new recruits and/or coaches.

Is it tip off time yet. Next thing ya know one of you guys will start talking about food and I will have to go buy some lunch. This could be one of the most anticipated seasons for hawkeye fans in both football and basketball and if for no other reason than for expectations in seeing how things turn out with the new recruits and/or coaches.

A large pepperoni pizza does indeed sound kinda good right now....

GO HAWKEYES!! CANNOT WAIT for BBall season to start!

Frank, Frank, Frank.....

Bird scored his ponts in a very weak Missouri Valley Conference. His numbers would have been a little lower in the Big Ten. How did he do in his last college game against a Big Ten team. Lets take a look, shall we......

magic-bird-cover.jpg

Shall we take a glance at the scoring line for the game against a Big Ten team that did not want the Hawks to make the tournament because they did NOT want to have to play the Hawks again.....

Magic's stats:

8-15 from the field: 8-10 from the free throw line: 7 rebounds: 3 fouls and 24 points......

Bird's stats:

7-21 from the field: 5-8 from the free throw line: 13 rebounds: 3 fouls and 19 points in an eleven point loss.......

Team totals from the game: Michigan State: 26-43.....

Indiana State: 27-64

Just imagine how he would have done in the Big Ten instead of the Mo Valley Conference. Don't get me wrong, Bird is my favorite player and I have loved the Celts since Red Auerbaugh coached them, but Bird is not a deity worthy of fawning worship.....as good as he was, believe it or not, HE does not walk on water......

well that's not fair, you had to use magic johnson make bird seem ever so slightly human...