A Way Too Early Look at... ISU

Mizzou had most of those yards on a few runs. As for Colorado, I attribute that game to an absolute let down from an overtime heartbreaking loss to Nebraska. Reminds me of the game I attended with some friend over Thanksgiving last season in Minneapolis.

That's why you will never be respected over here. You can't resist taking backhanded shots at Iowa on this board can you? If the situation was reversed and this was CyFan your *** would have been run a long time ago.

If I were ISU, I would really take a look at the Minnesota game and look at how they were able to put pressure on Vandenberg. What will be hard to assess there is was it Vandenberg, or was it the offensive line that was leaking?

However, I would suspect that Iowa will run Coker about 30 times, so there won't be a whole lot of pass coverage and pressure to worry about. I expect Iowa to try and control the clock and the line of scrimmage.

ISU should be much improved this yr. I think Rhodes does a great job and will continue to improve their game. It will be interesting to see how they are able to move the ball.

They also gave up 134 yards rushing to a very uninspired rushing game and 34 to Colorado who only socred 30 plus 4 times. So really does that mean all that much. I honestly thought ISU had a chance to beat Mizzou as they are one of those teams they almost always play well.

Chad

See I don't believe you when you say you watched our games. We gave up 134 rushing yards on 41 carries. Thats 3.3 yards per rush. And that is when we played a 3-3-5 pretty much the whole game in attempt to slow down Gabbert. We were actually very good on defense that game.

Against Colorado we gave up 2.6 yards per rush. Our defense actually played pretty good that game. Our offense was just pathetic against them. And so was our special teams. Colorado's first TD came after they returned the kick 89 yards. They just punched it in from there. We also gave up a TD when Arnaud fumbled and they returned it for a TD. BAD offense lost that game for us, not defense

That's why you will never be respected over here. You can't resist taking backhanded shots at Iowa on this board can you? If the situation was reversed and this was CyFan your *** would have been run a long time ago.
No backhanded shot meant. Just saying bad games can happen to every team.

JUCO stats. JUCO!
How else do you evaluate talent? Looks? Hair cut? Finger nails? You get my point. They may be JUCO stats but thats where he was playing football at and say what you want they were damn impressive.

Last edited:
How else do you evaluate talents? Looks? Hair cut? Finger nails? You get my point. They may be JUCO stats but thats where he was playing football at as say what you want they were damn impressive.

JUCO and HS stats mean very little when you come into the Big 12.

He is a 5'11 DE in the Big 12. Speed only goes so far when you are that small

clownfight.jpg

:D

See I don't believe you when you say you watched our games. We gave up 134 rushing yards on 41 carries. Thats 3.3 yards per rush. And that is when we played a 3-3-5 pretty much the whole game in attempt to slow down Gabbert. We were actually very good on defense that game.

Against Colorado we gave up 2.6 yards per rush. Our defense actually played pretty good that game. Our offense was just pathetic against them. And so was our special teams. Colorado's first TD came after they returned the kick 89 yards. They just punched it in from there. We also gave up a TD when Arnaud fumbled and they returned it for a TD. BAD offense lost that game for us, not defense

Well now you sound like us and yes you would be correct. The over lying problem was Offense just like it was with us, oh and some pretty uninspired special teams play. A smart football fan like you however knows you can't compartmentalize a football game.

For what its worth Albert Young ran for 7.8 yards per carry in 2005 and we got smoked. Not really very telling when you are getting worked and NOT competitive...is it?!?!

I did NOT watch your games (none of Colorado for what it is worth, nor KU) as a fan locking onto one guy. Mizzou is the only good QB you played where you locked anything down and quite frankly your offense was so inept by that time they did all they had to do to win. Your passing D was honestly helped as much by really solid Lber play. Johnson had one INT and you could say it was because teams threw away from him, but last year Prater still had 4 and the year before Spievey who teams really did try to avoid had 2.

For the record NFL Draft Scout has Johnson as a 5th to 6th round pick. Meaning he has work to do. I think you are a knowledgeable fan, but you don't see me over billing anyone for Iowa and history has taught us they likely DO have a lot of NFL prospects on their team. He is NOT as good as Prater and he himself has plenty of work to do. He is not nearly physical enuff for one, nor is Johnson.

Please think I don't watch your games by all means, but that doesn't make it true. Ellis Hobbs was a stud and it showed, he is no Ellis Hobbs. Who was very short himself, but pretty physical even in college.

Chad

PS...I thought I better edit in, I think we are going the wrong direction here, I think ISU DID play solid D, I know I lamented their tackling and Johnson, but that doesn't mean I think they were bad. I think the Chicago Bears play excellent D but you wont catch many of the Bears fans in our dealership disagreeing with me that their tackling is pretty shoddy from time to time. As for Johnson, if memory serves I think he played (started as a frosh right) very early on and I thought he was quite good. I just haven't seen the "jump" but maybe I'm all wet.

Last edited:
What are you talkin about? Latt was an honorable mention and played in only 6 games. Ask Texas what they think of Latt. And do some research on Rump. Also check out Nelson's stats his sophmore year in juco.

I think this was page four. It's all I could take. Just stop please. Number one: Lattimer played all year. Number two: Lattimer and Rump will not both be All Big 12. Maybe one. Maybe, but not both.

As for the actual game:

There's a lot of questions for both teams. About the only things we can even come close to being accurate on are ISU's LBers and Corners, and Iowas Oline and Coker. Outside of that, numerous things could happen.

I think ISUs Dline will be much improved. Rump is a good player but he got washed out last year because no one beside him created fear. McDonough should be able to help that along with Laing. On the outside, they add Nelson who has gotten mixed reviews, Scott who is undersized but could be effective as a pass rusher and Maggitt will be back. He really started to play better toward the end of last year but he's undersized. All of those guys will have to play very well to stop Coker because, quite frankly, there isn't a guy we play who scares me more than him. Units? Yes, but not individual players.

We know Knott and Klein are really good players and Tau'fo'ou was good enough.

ISU's Oline has a couple players with experience but I think there will be youth injected. How will Farniok or Tautolo do at center? Osemele will own his side of the line but that won't matter if no one else does anything.

QB is an obvious question mark. I have no idea. None. I hope someone can support our running game.

At RB I am fairly confident that there won't be a lot of drop off here when we are able to rotate four or maybe even five guys, all with different skillsets.

WR is another question. They have to play better. They have to be able to get open quick.

I don't know a lot about Iowa but I know their Oline will be at least good if not great, McNutt is still there, and it is very likely that even though they lost great players on the Dline, they will probably replace them well. Like ISU, the safeties will be interesting to watch. Two new guys on each side.

To me, this strictly talent match up is much closer than in the previous two years. The problem is that the ISU QB needs to be able to manage the game and make some plays and I don't know if that will happen. Iowa probably won't need as much of that. That said I am making the homer pick. ISU-20, Iowa-17

Actually I am 100% right. Iowa only crossed into ISU territory 1 time while Tate was in the game. It was on the first play of the game when Albert Young broke a long run. Iowa turned it over the next play and Tate never was in ISU territory again and led Iowa to zero points. Iowa was in ISU territory more with Manson at the helm and scored 3 points.

Don't get me wrong, while Manson was a much nicer kid than Drew Tate, he wasn't 1/2 the QB Tate was. But on that day, he was no worse a QB for Iowa than Tate was

My apologies, I was going off of memory. I remember constructing such an argument when ISU fans claimed that Iowa didn't even "sniff" the 50 yard line. The facts are that with Tate at the helm, Iowa crossed the 50 on the first drive, got to our own 48th on the 4th drive, and got to the 50th on our 6th and final drive with Tate at the helm.

While I fully admit that you're right with regard to crossing the 50 yard line ... do you disagree that Tate was able to have some success moving the ball? Half of the drives with him got near the 50. Iowa didn't do crap with Manson at the helm.

This is a bit of a "what if" game, but I gotta say that I think that ISU fans are underestimating what Iowa could bring in the passing game. Here are some points that justify some of my optimism concerning Iowa's passing game:

- McNutt already is an impressive WR
- Vandenberg still had a great game against tOSU 2 years ago. Say what you will, but it's foolish to believe that he wouldn't have improved at reading blitzes since then.
- Absolutely terrific internal buzz has surrounded Keenan Davis and CJ Fiedorowicz since the spring.
- The quartet of McNutt (WR), Davis (WR), Herman (TE), and Fiedorowicz (TE) provide a match-up nightmare against pretty much ANY D ... let alone ISU's D.
- Out of a 2 TE set, Iowa can pass to the aforementioned quartet just as easily as they can run it ... and when they run it from such a look, it's a "power" formation.

And, to account for how strategies match up ...

- ISU has primarily fielded Ds that have leaned heavily upon multi-DB sets. However, against Iowa, they will be forced more to play out of their 4-3 set. Quite frankly, that takes ISU out of its "comfort zone."
- The aforementioned quarter are all big, strong, and pretty fast guys. ISU will not be able to effectively jam each guy. However, if you give those guys a cushion, then it increases the chances that they'll be able to get open. Furthermore, given their HEIGHT ADVANTAGE, that further increases the chances that they'll be able to get open.
- The best friend of Iowa's style of passing game is a strong running game. I'd be shocked if ISU didn't have 8+ guys in the box at all times during perceived rushing downs. That then implies that Iowa's 1st down play-action passing game could potentially get yardage in BIG CHUNKS.

My apologies, I was going off of memory. I remember constructing such an argument when ISU fans claimed that Iowa didn't even "sniff" the 50 yard line. The facts are that with Tate at the helm, Iowa crossed the 50 on the first drive, got to our own 48th on the 4th drive, and got to the 50th on our 6th and final drive with Tate at the helm.

While I fully admit that you're right with regard to crossing the 50 yard line ... do you disagree that Tate was able to have some success moving the ball? Half of the drives with him got near the 50. Iowa didn't do crap with Manson at the helm.

Drew Tate led Iowa to 115 yards and Manson led Iowa to 220 yards that day (roughly). Tate was no doubt twice the player as Manson, but not at that day

If I'm ISU, I am playing the run hard and bringing the heat to Vanderberg on passing downs until he proves that he can handle it. If he proves that, fine, do something else, but he is still early in his career so I think you have to try and rattle him early.

Latest posts