A Way Too Early Look at... ISU

As I posted in the other thread, I still would not put Iowa's running backs over ISUs. Iowa right now has 1 guy, absolutely no depth (anyone else not see the story on Coe? Hawk fans ignoring this?) and this guy put up awesome stats against a Missouri team that allowed Nebraska to run for some 300 yards. Helu set the Nebraska single game rushing record in that game, think of what that means, Nebraska has had some pretty impressive running backs and running quarterbacks go through that school. Mizzou in the second half of the season was one of the worst rush defenses in the country. Coker has talent, but with little depth and only start against the lowly Mizzou defense, give me ISUs running backs by a lot.

You would take ISU's RB's by a lot huh? You are hallucinating. Coker is the best RB on Iowa's roster and he's certainly better than any RB on ISU's. The ISU game is early in the season so that raises the probability the Cyclones will get a heavy dose of a healthy Coker. The only way anyone behind Coker gets serious playing time is if he's hurt or it's a blow-out. Injuries happen, I understand that (any Iowa fan understands that). However, let's assume Coker is healthy going into the ISU game. Are you that biased that you would still pick ISU's RB's? If so that tells me all I need to know about your football knowledge. Based on some of the things you've already said I have a pretty good idea your answer will not be a rational one.

You would take ISU's RB's by a lot huh? You are hallucinating. Coker is the best RB on Iowa's roster and he's certainly better than any RB on ISU's. The ISU game is early in the season so that raises the probability the Cyclones will get a heavy dose of a healthy Coker. The only way anyone behind Coker gets serious playing time is if he's hurt or it's a blow-out. Injuries happen, I understand that (any Iowa fan understands that). However, let's assume Coker is healthy going into the ISU game. Are you that biased that you would still pick ISU's RB's? If so that tells me all I need to know about your football knowledge. Based on some of the things you've already said I have a pretty good idea your answer will not be a rational one.
How in the **** do you know this? On this board I have been told this many time, but NOBODY has told my why. 1 game, ya 1 game. Again Missouri's defense against the run was comical. Watch the Iowa, Iowa State, and Nebraska games, I counted numerous time where defenders were running into themselves. Essentially what your saying is Coker is faster than Johnson (4.5 compared to a 4.6), which he is not, more nimble than Johnson (182 lbs compared to 230 lbs), which he is not, stronger than Johnson which he is, but thats what we have Woody for. Like I said before, Coker is just another hyped up Iowa player with little to stand behind (Christensen, Hampton, Kennan Davis, Wegher and the list goes on and on). He has a ton of talent, but so did Hampton, Wegher, Robinson, Greene and I will take depth over one player. I think some of this board would even go so far as taking Coker over Greene.

As I posted in the other thread, I still would not put Iowa's running backs over ISUs. Iowa right now has 1 guy, absolutely no depth (anyone else not see the story on Coe? Hawk fans ignoring this?)

I don't know if I have enough space on my signature line for all of your stupid comments. Why would you consider Coe an addition to depth but not the other RB's on the squad? Why doesn't White or Johnson count as depth since you apparently included Coe(a player who hadn't even hit campus and was not for certain to be a RB anyway) in that category. What about Canzeri? Or better yet, what about this guy?

YouTube - ‪2011 Hawkeye Commit Mika'il McCall‬‏

Last edited:
As I posted in the other thread, I still would not put Iowa's running backs over ISUs. Iowa right now has 1 guy, absolutely no depth (anyone else not see the story on Coe? Hawk fans ignoring this?) and this guy put up awesome stats against a Missouri team that allowed Nebraska to run for some 300 yards. Helu set the Nebraska single game rushing record in that game, think of what that means, Nebraska has had some pretty impressive running backs and running quarterbacks go through that school. Mizzou in the second half of the season was one of the worst rush defenses in the country. Coker has talent, but with little depth and only start against the lowly Mizzou defense, give me ISUs running backs by a lot.

I genuinely don't understand this line of thinking. How does ISU have depth, but Iowa doesn't? That's laughable. Coker brings more returning yards rushing than Shontrelle does. Shontrelle is ISU's only back with any experience, so how does ISU have all this depth, but Iowa doesn't? Please elaborate.

If Mizzou had one of the worst rush defenses in the country how come Ax Robinson couldnt get 100 yards at home against them?

I'm always amazed at how quickly memories can fade when you are on the losing end of a rivalry game. If I'm an ISU fan, I would go into this game with somewhat restrained expectations. When you have been soundly beaten two successive years, and frankly, shouldn't have even scored a touchdown against the team for almost 2 1/2 games, I would be cautious about claiming advantage in any area.

The reality is that JVB will be better than what he showed in the three games he saw action in 2009. He didn't just hold a clipboard over the past year...he practiced and I'm sure he worked on his so called shortcomings. Now, he will also have a spring and fall camp as #1 and he will get the reps necessary. From what the coaches say, he's much more accurate than Stanzi was, has a better arm, and is a natural leader. I'm thinking this is good.

As for the running game, even if Coker were to be injured, there are a number of options, albeit unproven in game conditions, that are much better than what we have had. No has talked about Brad Rogers either...if he gets cleared to play which I believe he has, he also has experience at tailback and is a punishing runner.

Coker flashed some serious skills and he's a big, big back. The optimism is warranted that he could be a game changer, especially behind this offensive line, and especially at the end of games.

How in the **** do you know this? On this board I have been told this many time, but NOBODY has told my why. 1 game, ya 1 game. Again Missouri's defense against the run was comical. Watch the Iowa, Iowa State, and Nebraska games, I counted numerous time where defenders were running into themselves. Essentially what your saying is Coker is faster than Johnson (4.5 compared to a 4.6), which he is not, more nimble than Johnson (182 lbs compared to 230 lbs), which he is not, stronger than Johnson which he is, but thats what we have Woody for. Like I said before, Coker is just another hyped up Iowa player with little to stand behind (Christensen, Hampton, Kennan Davis, Wegher and the list goes on and on). He has a ton of talent, but so did Hampton, Wegher, Robinson, Greene and I will take depth over one player. I think some of this board would even go so far as taking Coker over Greene.

You are hilarious. No Hawkeye fan anywhere would take Coker over Shonn Greene

The ag college must be teaching them how to grow some crazy mushrooms cuz this guy is insane. Most people familiar with the incoming Hawk recruits consider McCall to have more potential at the running back position than Coe. Sure it would be great to get him on campus but he probably won't end up at RB. Losing him this year doesn't hurt our depth like you think it does. Let's be honest, you would choose ISU's RB's over Iowa's because you have no clue what your talking about. Saying ISU has more depth than Iowa is comical. Coker is a good kid and he will stay with the Hawks, unlike many of the players you compared him to (We her, ARob, etc.). He is an astrophysics major and works his tail off. Only way Coker won't run over ISU's defense is if he is injured.

He carried the ball 20+ times 2 other games this season and ran for 70 yards on 9 carries against OSU. So how is that 1 game, smart guy? You need to do a little research before you post dumb things.

With Arnaud out and Tiller playing Mizzou had 8-9 guys in the box. Tiller gave ISU no real shot of throwing the ball and the WRs were dropping every ball they touched so it was an easy game plan for Mizzou.

With Arnaud out and Tiller playing Mizzou had 8-9 guys in the box. Tiller gave ISU no real shot of throwing the ball and the WRs were dropping every ball they touched so it was an easy game plan for Mizzou.

Sounds like Tiller should be the man this year, then. But I digress. Back to the main point.

Where is your rebuttal on the Coker statements?

Sounds like Tiller should be the man this year, then. But I digress. Back to the main point.

Where is your rebuttal on the Coker statements?

This is crazy. Is Coker good? Yes. Does Iowa have anyone behind him that has seen the field other than a converted fullback? Nope. ISU has 3 guys that have carried the ball in a college game. Iowa has 2. ISU has slightly better known depth, and also adds some good freshman. Everyone here is singing the praises of McCall, but ISU has a guy named DeVondrick Nealy who is coming in who was more highly sought after than your back. ISU has a lot of options at RB, but the point is moot if Coker can carry the ball 25-30 times. ISU is supposed to be a spread team. In order to beat Iowa they will have to show some proficiency through the air. We either need the switch to flip with Tiller, or Jantz needs to take this job and run with it. Iowa should be at least a 2 TD favorite, but not because of JVB or Coker. It will be a steady defensive presence and a line which I could run behind that will give them the edge.

Okay I stepped out of this thread because quite frankly I hate the speculative crap with ISU fans. This game will be won by whether or not Iowa is getting the leadership they didn’t have last year. The matchups are 2ndary…..

But here is where this stuff gets silly………..

Over the last several years I have been told by ISU fans that they had better Rbers, Wr’s, O-linemen etc……and yet ISU has like 8 kids in the NFL total and Iowa has sent 17 via the draft and several more via free agency in just the last 3 years.

They make combined depth chart lists and stick ISU players in at palces where Iowa ends up filling All-conference teams and Drafts……

Just a couple years back sans Shonn Greene there was poster after poster on cyclone fanatic telling any Iowa fan who would listen that we where foolish to think we would have backs anywhere as good as they did. Yet injury after injury after defection Iowa keeps putting solid Rbers on the field. Doesn’t it seem a little silly to down grade a team who routinely after the last 10 years seemingly finds running backs when others think there are none?!?!

As for Nealy yes he is a nice prospect but he is a 175lb scat back, that I’ll bet if Iowa even offered, they didn’t it seems, he’d have been slated at WR/CB. If you are counting on that kid by the 2nd game to fill depth then you are in trouble.

Iowa will have running backs and something else of note I like.... ISU fans over the years have changed. They routinely come into the game acting like the Iowa fans they despise. Continually over inflating things and short changing Iowa, it makes me feel good about next year’s prospects. Back when they were nervous, we had more issues.

Now it needs be said, I AM nervous and I like Paul Rhodes and I follow ISU, but if you are counting on a depleted Iowa keep it up. You’ll likely be upset.

Chad

Last edited:
This is crazy. Is Coker good? Yes. Does Iowa have anyone behind him that has seen the field other than a converted fullback? Nope. ISU has 3 guys that have carried the ball in a college game. Iowa has 2. ISU has slightly better known depth, and also adds some good freshman. Everyone here is singing the praises of McCall, but ISU has a guy named DeVondrick Nealy who is coming in who was more highly sought after than your back. ISU has a lot of options at RB, but the point is moot if Coker can carry the ball 25-30 times. ISU is supposed to be a spread team. In order to beat Iowa they will have to show some proficiency through the air. We either need the switch to flip with Tiller, or Jantz needs to take this job and run with it. Iowa should be at least a 2 TD favorite, but not because of JVB or Coker. It will be a steady defensive presence and a line which I could run behind that will give them the edge.

My point was that Coker has played more than 1 game in college. ISUer seems to think that we base all of our high hopes on the Missouri game. Yes, we love to look back at that game and think of what we might have in Coker, but it isn't the only time we have seen him carry the rock. We have worried about our depth every year at RB, and every year we seem to churn out a good core group of RB's. But I never even mentioned that in my post to ISUer.

So ISUer... I'm assuming you are one of the Cyclone fans who thinks Jantz should and will be the QB? Obviously you have little confidence in Tiller. What exactly makes you think a JUCO transfer is going to come in and play well enough to beat Iowa? Has he shown you something the rest of us don't know about? Is he going to play well enough in the passing game to help open up the running game?

If Iowa makes ISU one dimensional it will be over. He will have to spread the field in order for this vaunted ISU rushing attack you speak of to actually be effective. Aside from blind faith, I really don't know what makes you think he is capable of coming in and performing at that high of a level. He has never played against this level of talent and he is getting a crash course in a new offense. You act like he is gonna be the next Scam Newton.

Last edited:

Latest posts