A Way Too Early Look at... ISU

Manson went 10-31 b/c he was being pressured like crazy that game. If you remember Tate didn't do any better before he got rocked. At least Manson could get some yards running

Totally wrong. Iowa crossed into ISU's territory several times when Tate was at the helm. When Manson entered the game, the Hawks didn't enter ISU's territory. That seems to be a pretty stark contrast to me.

Against BOTH QBs ISU was getting pressure. However, Tate was more experienced and better equipped to exploit such a D. Manson had little game experience and most definitely wasn't nearly the passer that Tate was.

With all due respect intended, and I'm not an excuse maker, but there is no way Drew Tate goes 10 for 31 in that game. We lost, we deserved to and Berryman was uncontainable, but Tate was 5-11 for 57 yards in the 1st quarter. Manson threw for 117 the rest of the game. Not even comparable....the game is long over and I'm not going to trivialize you or embarrass myself by saying anything stupid, but Manson just wasn't as good as Drew Tate period.

Chad

Tate played in 27 of 30 first half minutes. It was 16-0 after he threw the pick and got knocked out. He wasn't doing any better. Didn't he have 3 TO's?

No offense Chad, but I'm guessing you watched very little of ISU play all year except when they played against Iowa. Leonard Johnson will get drafted next year. The kid is very talented

Also, 5'10 is plenty tall for a CB

I'm not offended and I watched them vs K-st, Texas Tech (great game to watch) Texas, Nebbie and Mizzou a little. I watched most all of the K-st game and the TT game and spots of the others. For the record I watch 150 college and high school football games a year and the average hgt for NFL Cb's is still just below 5/11 you are correct. However Johnson isn't a draft pick yet. He isn't as good as Prater or Hyde and Prater was likely a 4th round pick last year.....

Chad

Totally wrong. Iowa crossed into ISU's territory several times when Tate was at the helm. When Manson entered the game, the Hawks didn't enter ISU's territory. That seems to be a pretty stark contrast to me.

Against BOTH QBs ISU was getting pressure. However, Tate was more experienced and better equipped to exploit such a D. Manson had little game experience and most definitely wasn't nearly the passer that Tate was.

Actually I am 100% right. Iowa only crossed into ISU territory 1 time while Tate was in the game. It was on the first play of the game when Albert Young broke a long run. Iowa turned it over the next play and Tate never was in ISU territory again and led Iowa to zero points. Iowa was in ISU territory more with Manson at the helm and scored 3 points.

Don't get me wrong, while Manson was a much nicer kid than Drew Tate, he wasn't 1/2 the QB Tate was. But on that day, he was no worse a QB for Iowa than Tate was

Well, this conversation about the 2011 game just turned into a ******* match about the 2005 game that was six seasons ago and has no bearing on this game but whatever...

Tate played in 27 of 30 first half minutes. It was 16-0 after he threw the pick and got knocked out. He wasn't doing any better. Didn't he have 3 TO's?

Good memory but that is even more telling. He only threw 11 times in 27 minutes and the game was still in hand. He wouldn't have gone 10 for 31 your numbers just kind of showed that.

Chad

I'm not offended and I watched them vs K-st, Texas Tech (great game to watch) Texas, Nebbie and Mizzou a little. I watched most all of the K-st game and the TT game and spots of the others. For the record I watch 150 college and high school football games a year and the average hgt for NFL Cb's is still just below 5/11 you are correct. However Johnson isn't a draft pick yet. He isn't as good as Prater or Hyde and Prater was likely a 4th round pick last year.....

Chad

In talking directly with Wally Burnham he told me the 2 for sure NFL guys on his defense are Knott and Leonard. A couple other guys have chances but he was very confident in saying they would be drafted. Thinks Knott is a future 1st/2nd rounder.

If you watched those games you would have seen him lock down defenders and make plays on the ball.

What are you talkin about? Latt was an honorable mention and played in only 6 games. Ask Texas what they think of Latt. And do some research on Rump. Also check out Nelson's stats his sophmore year in juco.
Lattimer is a DE. He has a mean streak, the guy is an absolute freak. Look into his background and it explains itself. Rump is the NG. He has every opportunity to play at the next level according to some. Jake McDonough is the starting DT, this is also where Pompey will end up when he gets to school, here is his Yahoo! page.
Quinton Pompey - Yahoo! Sports
And Maggitt has never really had his shot. But got it once Rashawn Parker was inconsistent in the first half of the season and made the most of it. Him and Lattimer had stand out games against Texas, Mizzou, and Nebraska. Patrick Neal was actually the starter last season and will be a senior this year but will be a backup now. This is all without Rony Nelson, who is a pure pass rusher. This guy is a monster. In his sophmore year, he had 19 sacks and 84 tackles. He was almost a lock to start last season before the Big 12 ruled him ineligible. CPR is in love with Cleyon Lang who is also a DT. This dline will no means set records. But it does not lack speed, size or depth.

Lattimer is 6-3 245
McDonough is 6-5 289
Rump is 6-3 288
Rossy is the smallest at 6-1 243

Well, this conversation about the 2011 game just turned into a ******* match about the 2005 game that was six seasons ago and has no bearing on this game but whatever...

Yeah. Sorry. I didn't engage in the 2005 convo b/c it has nothing to do with today but the 10/31 Manson comment sucked me in. I am weak! :D

The turnover war is quite possibly the most important battle in this game. Arnaud has dominated that battle the last two games. With Hyde and Prater still in the backfield I like our chances of winning that battle a third year in a row, but I think ISU will get some of their own this time.
Fixed

Lattimer is a DE. He has a mean streak, the guy is an absolute freak. Look into his background and it explains itself. Rump is the NG. He has every opportunity to play at the next level according to some. Jake McDonough is the starting DT, this is also where Pompey will end up when he gets to school, here is his Yahoo! page.
Quinton Pompey - Yahoo! Sports
And Maggitt has never really had his shot. But got it once Rashawn Parker was inconsistent in the first half of the season and made the most of it. Him and Lattimer had stand out games against Texas, Mizzou, and Nebraska. Patrick Neal was actually the starter last season and will be a senior this year but will be a backup now. This is all without Rony Nelson, who is a pure pass rusher. This guy is a monster. In his sophmore year, he had 19 sacks and 84 tackles. He was almost a lock to start last season before the Big 12 ruled him ineligible. CPR is in love with Cleyon Lang who is also a DT. This dline will no means set records. But it does not lack speed, size or depth.

Lattimer is 6-3 245
McDonough is 6-5 289
Rump is 6-3 288
Rossy is the smallest at 6-1 243

Rony Nelson is NOT a monster. He is tiny and I will be shocked if he plays much. Don't fall for the message board rumors

Who knows at this point.

As far as our defense vs Mizzou's last year. ISU is still weak at DE. We obviously have no Aldon Smith. But Mizzou didn't have a Jake Knott, or even an AJ Klein. They also didn't have a CB as good as Leonard Johnson who started slow last year but was a stud come conference play
You realize ISU's defense absolutely shut down Gabbert and the Tigers offense right? Gabbert had his worst game of the season in Ames.

You realize ISU's defense absolutely shut down Gabbert and the Tigers offense right? Gabbert had his worst game of the season in Ames.

What does that have to do with me comparing Mizzou's DEFENSE to Iowa State's DEFENSE?

Rony Nelson is NOT a monster. He is tiny and I will be shocked if he plays much. Don't fall for the message board rumors
I have watched him play. He is not a run stopper at all. But he can fly in pass rushing downs. He will see the field a lot on passing downs.

I have watched him play. He is not a run stopper at all. But he can fly in pass rushing downs. He will see the field a lot on passing downs.

Who you taking out? Lattimer? No. Maggit? Doubtful.

Trust me, he will play little

They also gave up 134 yards rushing to a very uninspired rushing game and 34 to Colorado who only socred 30 plus 4 times. So really does that mean all that much. I honestly thought ISU had a chance to beat Mizzou as they are one of those teams they almost always play well.

Chad

They also gave up 134 yards rushing to a very uninspired rushing game and 34 to Colorado who only socred 30 plus 4 times. So really does that mean all that much. I honestly thought ISU had a chance to beat Mizzou as they are one of those teams they almost always play well.

Chad
Mizzou had most of those yards on a few runs. As for Colorado, I attribute that game to an absolute let down from an overtime heartbreaking loss to Nebraska. Reminds me of the game I attended with some friend over Thanksgiving last season in Minneapolis.

Latest posts