A Way Too Early Look at... ISU

How many points you giving me? For the first time in four years I am going to say ISU wins this game. And I am also going to say somewhere in the neighborhood of 2005. This will be ISU's best "teams" since the McCarney era. No standout players minus Knott but the fundamentals of this team will be outstanding.

As for Lattimer, to be honest, I doubt he misses a second of the season. He is that valuable.

Another clone fan on here said I should take it easy and try to be tolerant of our visiting brothers to the west. Then one of them has to go off and ramble some stupid **** like this and ruin it for all of them.

I guess I should remember you were the one spouting off that Kinnick was SOOOOOO empty during the 2009 Indiana game that you were able to move down to the 2nd row on the 50 yard line after halftime...:rolleyes:

No question that losing Franklin hurts Iowa State but I don't think losing Williams hurts at all. Sure he was one of our best WR, but that isn't saying much. If Jake Williams is the best WR you have on your team, than your WR's stink. I think we will be better at this position this year, but how much? Needs to improve a lot.

I think Benton will be just fine. He is a great tackler and we missed him a ton against Iowa last year. He also has the size for safety where it seems Hyde might be a little on the light side. Am I wrong on that?

Cyclones17 -

Hyde is a little on the "light" side ... however, he also has decent height (roughly around 6-1). More importantly, Hyde would play the FS spot ... and he's very much a "ball hawk." I don't really believe that size will be as much an issue for Hyde as much as just learning all the extra responsibilities of the safety spot ... that's all. All the same, if Hyde remains at safety, I think that he's capable of developing into a pretty darn good one.

Similarly, I believe that Benton will be alright at safety for ISU too. However, just like for Hyde, I think that it will take a little bit for him to fully "get down" the position. As a result, early in the season, he'll be more likely to make the odd mistake.

The issue, as I see it, is that Iowa simply features more mismatches in the passing game ... and thus, it would be easier for Iowa to exploit Benton than it would be for ISU to exploit Hyde.

Let me get this straight, you lose your starting qb, rb, your best ol, and top 2 wr, and you think the new guys coming in are going to put up 20+ points on Iowa?

Please explain.
QB? So what? In this game, he has been Iowa's MVP the past two seasons. He has thrown to more Hawkeyes than he has Cyclones. The loss of ARob is big, but our depth at RB is better than I can remember in the last 5 years or so. OL, Big Ben is a loss, and a big one, but returning KO, who is a first rounder next season by many predictors, Hicks, and Burris is big. There may also be a suprise addition to this oline before the season begins (crossing fingers). So I am not concerned. Wells has made these guys who they are and he is still the oline coach. WR? The loss of Franklin is big, but he is a TE and was under-utilized, outside of him, I don't remember us having a receiving core last season.

How many points you giving me? For the first time in four years I am going to say ISU wins this game. And I am also going to say somewhere in the neighborhood of 2005. This will be ISU's best "teams" since the McCarney era. No standout players minus Knott but the fundamentals of this team will be outstanding.

As for Lattimer, to be honest, I doubt he misses a second of the season. He is that valuable.

Really? You see this being a 23-3 type game? No way. One factor missing this year is that Iowa won't come into this game with bloated heads and overconfidence like they did then. KF remembers that beat down and won't let it happen again.

No question that losing Franklin hurts Iowa State but I don't think losing Williams hurts at all. Sure he was one of our best WR, but that isn't saying much. If Jake Williams is the best WR you have on your team, than your WR's stink. I think we will be better at this position this year, but how much? Needs to improve a lot.

I think Benton will be just fine. He is a great tackler and we missed him a ton against Iowa last year. He also has the size for safety where it seems Hyde might be a little on the light side. Am I wrong on that?

For what it's worth I would not call ISU a team of great tacklers. At least their first two editions at any rate. They have some good coaches for sure and yes I know they teach and preach fundamentals like Iowa does. All the same I watched them play some last year and they still miss quite a few tackles.

Not a good combo against physical running teams with good lines. Which is why they gave up 275 yards rushing vs Iowa and 235 vs Nebbie. That’s not to say they can’t improve, but they need to all the same.

As for Iowa their biggest improvement needs to be made in the area of leadership and focus, all year long. I think we are going to see some improvements with the turnover of a few graduates, DJK in particular. I don’t think there is any telling how much of a distraction he may have been.

Chad

For ISU to pull of a repeat of the feat in '05 they'd have to DOMINATE in the trenches like they did in '05.

Iowa's OL early in the '05 season was pretty mediocre. Ferentz moved back to C from OG ... a bit of a transition there. Similarly, Elgin moved C to OG ... again, a bit of a transition there. Iowa featured 2 new guys starting at OT. Lastly, one of the early-season starters at OT was Jones ... however, he was always much better suited at OG. Thus, Iowa hadn't yet moved Yanda over to OT ... and Yanda was a first year starter at that point too.

And obviously Iowa's DL was patch-work AT BEST ... being comprised mostly of FR and SO ... none of whom had received many or any prior game reps.

When looking at the match-up in 2011, the match-ups in the trenches looks MUCH different than that. While ISU's DL looks like it could be a pretty darn good unit ... it will be facing off against an experienced and talented Iowa OL. That should count for something.

Furthermore, rather than playing against an Iowa DL that is pretty young and inexperienced ... as was the case in '05 ... in 2011, Iowa's depth-chart on the DL is littered with guys who have been on campus for 4 or 5 years ... and that's not counting the talented youngsters who the Hawks also have.

Lastly, considering that Tate got knocked out of the game in '05 ... Manson played most of the game against the 'Clones. With great confidence I can say that Vandenberg is a better QB than Manson. Of course, should Vandenberg get knocked out of the game .... then yeah, I could see just about any scenario playing out.

QB? So what? In this game, he has been Iowa's MVP the past two seasons. He has thrown to more Hawkeyes than he has Cyclones. The loss of ARob is big, but our depth at RB is better than I can remember in the last 5 years or so. OL, Big Ben is a loss, and a big one, but returning KO, who is a first rounder next season by many predictors, Hicks, and Burris is big. There may also be a suprise addition to this oline before the season begins (crossing fingers). So I am not concerned. Wells has made these guys who they are and he is still the oline coach. WR? The loss of Franklin is big, but he is a TE and was under-utilized, outside of him, I don't remember us having a receiving core last season.

So these new guys are suppose to just come in and put up 20+ points on a team that has always been strong defensive oriented ? Sorry I just dont see that happening.

Also I'm not saying Iowa State wont win they very well could, but it wont be no 20+.

Last edited:
For what it's worth I would not call ISU a team of great tacklers. At least their first two editions at any rate. They have some good coaches for sure and yes I know they teach and preach fundamentals like Iowa does. All the same I watched them play some last year and they still miss quite a few tackles.

Not a good combo against physical running teams with good lines. Which is why they gave up 275 yards rushing vs Iowa and 235 vs Nebbie. That’s not to say they can’t improve, but they need to all the same.

As for Iowa their biggest improvement needs to be made in the area of leadership and focus, all year long. I think we are going to see some improvements with the turnover of a few graduates, DJK in particular. I don’t think there is any telling how much of a distraction he may have been.

Chad

Iowa State's worst tackling game was against Iowa last year. No doubt. It was pretty awful. Not having Benton in the game hurt a bit. But Iowa State is still a very good tackling team. They may have gave up 235 against Nebraska but that is mainly b/c Nebraska ran all game. They only threw the ball 12 times. In fact ISU held Nebraska under the average that game and that includes OT.

Iowa State won't put up 20 points on Iowa until 2 things happen:

QB is more accurate on short throws
OC Tom Herman figures out how to play against a Norm Parker defense

A couple quick thoughts……..

I hate the prediction game & ISU has won many a game when we had more talent so I am NOT predicating anything, only pointing out some obvious questions…..

Many a time I have seen ISU fan A, B, C suggest they had more this or that then us and it has not come to fruition.

2nd that underutilized TE……caught 54 balls, 19 more than the next closest guy who is also gone. Williams by the way was very much an Ed Hinkel type and he was a huge loss. Franklin was a very, very good TE. Your assessment of your WR is fair and accurate but that’s also scary, especially for the first 4 or 5 games. In some capacities I’m not sure ISU hasn’t started with better WR options than Iowa, yet ended up with much less product so that IS an area of concern. On a team with 3 new Linemen, a new Rber, the security blanket TE gone and a new QB?!?!? That’s an area of concern, period. No way to sugar coat that by game 2 or 3.

Chad

Iowa State won't put up 20 points on Iowa until 2 things happen:

QB is more accurate on short throws
OC Tom Herman figures out how to play against a Norm Parker defense
While I agree with 1, I certainly don't agree with two. Herman takes way too much heat. Arnaud was god awful against Iowa. Herman can call the plays but its up to Arnaud to make the throws.

As noted by many here, 5-star name does not equal 5-star game.

I think Jantz is the starter this year, but he is not the 2nd coming of Cam Newton or even Seneca Wallace. I hope he's an upgrade from Tiller, though.

While I agree with 1, I certainly don't agree with two. Herman takes way too much heat. Arnaud was god awful against Iowa. Herman can call the plays but its up to Arnaud to make the throws.

Not sure how old you are but get with the program, when the players don’t perform the way us fans think they should you blame the coaches. Especially the OC, its always the OC’s fault……:D

Chad

A couple quick thoughts……..

I hate the prediction game & ISU has won many a game when we had more talent so I am NOT predicating anything, only pointing out some obvious questions…..

Many a time I have seen ISU fan A, B, C suggest they had more this or that then us and it has not come to fruition.

2nd that underutilized TE……caught 54 balls, 19 more than the next closest guy who is also gone. Williams by the way was very much an Ed Hinkel type and he was a huge loss. Franklin was a very, very good TE. Your assessment of your WR is fair and accurate but that’s also scary, especially for the first 4 or 5 games. In some capacities I’m not sure ISU hasn’t started with better WR options than Iowa, yet ended up with much less product so that IS an area of concern. On a team with 3 new Linemen, a new Rber, the security blanket TE gone and a new QB?!?!? That’s an area of concern, period. No way to sugar coat that by game 2 or 3.

Chad

My concern at QB is very small. Arnaud never grasped what Herman had to offer. He was the picture of inconsistency as a similar quote was made in the Nebraska game. A similar quote was made by Bob Griese about Franklin. He harped on Arnaud all game about how under-utilized the guy was. Franklin could have been Mr everything, but wasnt. He will be missed no doubt. Running back is a major strength for this team. Guys like Standard and Neally may redshirt when they could start for a lot of D1 programs this year. ISU has Johnson coming in and he has done nothing but impress. Let the "Duck" is coming off of a redshirt year and having Woody back, this team is absolutely stacked at RB. Experience may lack, but speed, power, and versatility is the best it has been for a long time. As for the oline, three solid starters return, two of which will play in the NFL. Big Ben is a loss, but Wells and Rhoads rave about the oline class that redshirted last season, that even includes Caspers who was a JUCO transfer. Wells has done an awesome job producing talent and I expect the same this season. Like I said too there may be a surprise addition, just maybe, and that would be a monster addition.

My concern at QB is very small. Arnaud never grasped what Herman had to offer. He was the picture of inconsistency as a similar quote was made in the Nebraska game. A similar quote was made by Bob Griese about Franklin. He harped on Arnaud all game about how under-utilized the guy was. Franklin could have been Mr everything, but wasnt. He will be missed no doubt. Running back is a major strength for this team. Guys like Standard and Neally may redshirt when they could start for a lot of D1 programs this year. ISU has Johnson coming in and he has done nothing but impress. Let the "Duck" is coming off of a redshirt year and having Woody back, this team is absolutely stacked at RB. Experience may lack, but speed, power, and versatility is the best it has been for a long time. As for the oline, three solid starters return, two of which will play in the NFL. Big Ben is a loss, but Wells and Rhoads rave about the oline class that redshirted last season, that even includes Caspers who was a JUCO transfer. Wells has done an awesome job producing talent and I expect the same this season. Like I said too there may be a surprise addition, just maybe, and that would be a monster addition.

Not by the 2nd game though....it doesn't work that way on the O-line. As far as Rber I too feel great about our running game, but it's ALWAYS a concern, always, always, always.....same with QB they could always be worse. If you don't have any concerns that's a recipe to have some….just sayin’

Chad

Iowa State's worst tackling game was against Iowa last year. No doubt. It was pretty awful. Not having Benton in the game hurt a bit. But Iowa State is still a very good tackling team. They may have gave up 235 against Nebraska but that is mainly b/c Nebraska ran all game. They only threw the ball 12 times. In fact ISU held Nebraska under the average that game and that includes OT.
We'll see how good their secondary is at tackling when Coker is running through holes that you could drive a bus through. this may be KF's best Oline ever. Good Luck. UI 31 ISU 13

Ill take those points. This oline is not better than the early 2000s with Gallery. This dline will be the best for ISU since the early to mid 2000s with Berryman and Reuben.

I think our only shot is winning a low scoring game. Our defense is going to be improved but the offense has holes to fill and it will be early in the season.

The Herman vs. Parker matchup is a huge edge in Iowa's favor. Herman has not proven he can cut it calling plays against good defenses. We'll have to ride our defense, create some turnovers and hope our offense can make enough plays to win

Ill take those points. This oline is not better than the early 2000s with Gallery. This dline will be the best for ISU since the early to mid 2000s with Berryman and Reuben.

See here is the problem with this.....

Our O-line couldn't possibly be as good as our early 2000 edition's, yet ISU's will certainly be the best since 2005?!?! 1st off that last statement isn't really saying all that much unless you are saying it is as good as, in which case..... There aren't any Jason Berryman's (who was the most dominant ISU player in the last 10 years outside of Wallace) or Tuba's who is still in the NFL.

Furthermore I have no clue what Iowa team will show up on that field but I do know that they will have at least 5-linemen who have started...one is mocked in pretty much every top 15 draft as a Jr....i/e: Gallery. The other Tackle is a very athletic 6-5 300 plus and as an Iowa tackle is a likely draft pick and the center is a 2nd year starter so really, which one is starting out further along.

See what I'm saying...

Chad

You lose Arnaud, Robinson, Franklin, Lamaak, Sims, etc... etc... and this will be the best team you've had in awhile? You are insane.

Latest posts