A&M Will be in the SEC within 2 weeks!!

LOL. The guy they're talking to said that last year, the Big East ADs agreed to take Kansas, KSU, Mizzou, and ISU. After adding TCU, if the Big XII falls apart and Big East expands, they'd only need three teams -- KU, KSU, and Mizzou.

Clone fans' Big-East backup plan might not be so solid.

KU and KSU, last I knew, can only go elsewhere together. Not saying that ISU is sexy, but Iowa has a larger population and is closer to the other Big East schools. ISU makes plenty of sense. Personally, I'd rather see ISU move over because the basketball season would be insane. Plus, ISU would be able to compete at a much higher level in football over there.

A&M isn't going to the SEC. 4 weeks before the season and there isn't much to talk about so people are going to throw **** to the wall

Well that and the SEC has no leverage to renegotiate their television contract for another 10 years. Bringing in A&M and another school doesn't make money for the current members, for the next decade it would be taking money away from them.

But as previously stated, that doesn't hold a candle to the power of the Texas politicians. If A&M bailed on Tech/Texas/Baylor they would get the hammer in terms of funding, research money, etc.

That's why I'd be willing to bet that there's a clause in the contract that says there needs to be some re-negotiations if the SEC expands. It's definitely not out of the question.

This smells of a negotiating ploy on A&M's part...

[to the Big XII] "oh, so you think the only team you need is Texas? Let's see if you still feel that way when we're threatening to walk!"

IMO, A&M is easily a very close 3rd (to Oklahoma) on the list of schools the Big XII cannot lose if they want to stay solvent.

A&M isn't going to the SEC. 4 weeks before the season and there isn't much to talk about so people are going to throw **** to the wall

Its a matter of time before the big 12 cash cows move out and the teams that were carried have to move on.

KU and KSU, last I knew, can only go elsewhere together. Not saying that ISU is sexy, but Iowa has a larger population and is closer to the other Big East schools. ISU makes plenty of sense. Personally, I'd rather see ISU move over because the basketball season would be insane. Plus, ISU would be able to compete at a much higher level in football over there.

So if this were to happen (which I don't think it will), you think the Big East would take ISU over either Kansas (because they don't want KSU) or Missouri (if they decided to take the package deal of KU/KSU)? LOL.

That's why I'd be willing to bet that there's a clause in the contract that says there needs to be some re-negotiations if the SEC expands. It's definitely not out of the question.

This should clear up your misconceptions:

FRANK THE TANK’S SLANT

The agreement with ESPN calls for a “look-in” review after the first five years but can occur sooner, said Burke Magnus, ESPN senior vice pres ident of college sports programming.

“We knew when we made a 15-year deal that time was not going to stand still so we purposely built in these look-ins,” Magnus said. “They don’t reopen the deal. There’s no outs. It’s an opportunity for both of us to really take stock of where we are and see what we could be doing better.”

A conference can't go to a network and say, "Hey guys, check it out, we got some more teams now, give us more money."

It doesn't work like that. Nothing in business works like that.

Last edited:

So just to clarify, a mediocre, at best, ISU program in everything is more appealing to the Big East, than arguably one of the top basketball programs of all time? To currently one of the top basketball conferences, I think KU would be picked up by the Big East right away.

So just to clarify, a mediocre, at best, ISU program in everything is more appealing to the Big East, than arguably one of the top basketball programs of all time? To currently one of the top basketball conferences, I think KU would be picked up by the Big East right away.

You forget about Fred Hoiberg's NBA speed-dial. Throw the history books out the window. ;)

I went to espn.com for some accurate, unbiased information about whether this rumor was true. Surprisingly, there was nothing there. And guess which team was on the CFB page:

picture23h.png

Not saying Hunter's right, but ESPN is in bed with Texas. They're not going to first to report that Texas is killing the Big 12.

So if this were to happen (which I don't think it will), you think the Big East would take ISU over either Kansas (because they don't want KSU) or Missouri (if they decided to take the package deal of KU/KSU)? LOL.

No. That's not what I said. Assuming that the Big 12-2 falls apart, I think the Big East takes ISU, Mizzou and a third party. It's the fault of the state of Kansas that they won't let the two schools go to seperate conferences.

Not sure why Iowa fans get off to ISU going to the MAC or CUSA....what does it say about their program that has had a decent amount of losses to them in the last 10 years.

What does that have to do with anything? Take a look at the Iowa teams ISU beat under KF:

1999: 1-10
2000: 3-9
2001: 7-5
2002: 11-2
2005: 7-5
2007: 6-6

Other than 2002 ISU hasn't beaten very good Iowa teams.

Well that and the SEC has no leverage to renegotiate their television contract for another 10 years. Bringing in A&M and another school doesn't make money for the current members, for the next decade it would be taking money away from them.

But as previously stated, that doesn't hold a candle to the power of the Texas politicians. If A&M bailed on Tech/Texas/Baylor they would get the hammer in terms of funding, research money, etc.

Here... It sounds like it may have been written into the existing SEC TV contract that if they expanded with the likes of Texas A&M. Can't find any other info this second though.

The addition of Texas A&M was the plum prize for the SEC, an expansion into the fertile Texas television market that we know would have led to an increase in the already-substantial CBS and ESPN television deal. (The SEC's contract is negotiated to allow increased payments or decreased payments based on the addition or subtraction of schools).

Texas A&M Bolting to the SEC Is Just a Matter of Time

That makes sense, if KU and KSU could be seperated. They can't as of now, so your point is moot.

Latest posts