A&M Will be in the SEC within 2 weeks!!

Why would a conference just "add" teams to be adding? Would not the conference want the teams to bring SOMETHING to the table? What exactly would isu add to a conference like the Big East? I believe THAT would be the big question. At least Missouri, Kansas, and KSU have had and have good teams and have challenged for the Big 12 title. They also have very good bb teams.

Plus you would have to ask the question, "Why would the Big East add four former Big 12 teams, none of which have much of a following (other than Kansas in bb). That would be an additional four teams that the conference would have to feed in a conference that already is not very good. What would the Big East gain by adding four former Big 12 teams, one of which is in the bottom five of all time worst programs (isu). These teams would bring little if any additional viewership --the conference would basicallly add the Kansas City area as far as a large metropolitan area is concerned; otherwise, the conference would be adding three small population states, one of which (Iowa) the school would still play second fiddle to a Big 10 team and not add many viewers whatsoever.

Plus the travel costs for schools would rise dramatically. How would the conference separate teams into two divisions? Or would it just be one division. Athletic budgets would skyrocket because now ALL of the rest of the sports (the women's and lesser men's teams) in the school would have to travel much much farther. Those sports are already do not make any money...now they would be adding huge travel costs, especially for bb.

It would make absolutely NO financial sense for the Big East to add the Big 12 teams. AND a conference is not going to add teams just to be adding teams; those teams have to bring something to the conference and what exactly would these teams bring, other than warm bodies and big extra mouths to feed?

If the Big 12 breaks up...the clowns might have a couple of choices....Mountain West, MAC, and possibly Conference USA, all of which do not have a big pot of money to share. I suppose the Mountain West could expand to two divisions. That conference is located primarily in low population states and cannot garner a large TV pact (and adding these four teams is not going to up the ante). Thus the athletic budgets of the four new teams would drop very dramatically and I'm not sure that the other MWC teams would be thrilled having to share what little money they get every year with a team like isu who again would add NOTHING to that conference.

What exactly would isu bring to a new conference? Their recruiting would drop off even worse than it already is and the quality of their team would drop accordingly.

But maybe they could compete in a conference like the MWC. One bright note for isu would be that they would get to play New Mexico and thus they might not be the bottom feeder in football in that conference? Of course, I believe the last time the clowns played at Wyoming, they got their heads handed to them. I was at that game...what a fun time we had.

Big XII stability comes down to one word, "TRUST". Which schools do you trust and which ones you don't? Given the history of the former Southwest Conference selfish interest prevailed. The tension between A&M and UT isn't fiction and it exist for more reasons than the football rivalry. To claim that Texas politicians won't let the two go separate ways maybe more hope than reality.

The last two times the conference shook up they intervened to keep them together. It appears to be SOP. Why would they change now?

Clown fans might have a point...why would Texas go anywhere? They have little competition left. Oklahoma is their only real competition left in that conference. Ohhh, I suppose TT, Okie St, Texas A&M, and maybe Missouri might challenge Texas and Oklahoma on the rare occasion, but the league is primarily Texas and Oklahoma ...and the rest that gets an occasional bone tossed to them.

Texas will continue to want more and more and more from the conference and the conference will give Texas whatever they want because the rest of the league knows what will happen to them if the conference does break up. The rest of the conference lives in fear of Texas, without Texas that conference is about on par with the MWC. So Texas will rape the conference for all it can get and the conference will gladly give them whatever they want.

Clown fans might have a point...why would Texas go anywhere? They have little competition left. Oklahoma is their only real competition left in that conference. Ohhh, I suppose TT, Okie St, Texas A&M, and maybe Missouri might challenge Texas and Oklahoma on the rare occasion, but the league is primarily Texas and Oklahoma ...and the rest that gets an occasional bone tossed to them.

Texas will continue to want more and more and more from the conference and the conference will give Texas whatever they want because the rest of the league knows what will happen to them if the conference does break up. The rest of the conference lives in fear of Texas, without Texas that conference is about on par with the MWC. So Texas will rape the conference for all it can get and the conference will gladly give them whatever they want.
Understandable, but here is why: Because instead of texa$$ considering its conference mates as a group of schools with similar geographic location grouped together for academic collaboration and spirited athletic competition, they view them as a bunch of parasites sucking money from Daddy Longwhorn.

Trust and believe, if texa$$ thinks it will get more $$ and an easier road to the BCS by going indy, they will.

I saw on one of their message boards that their fans would still like to go to the Pac-12, or even B1G. I lol'd about a move to the B1G, they don't play well with others, and I don't think that the B1G would want to deal with all of their strong arming tactics, politics, and baggage. And, after all of the poltical BS and the stuff they tried to pull on the Pac, idk if they would want them either.

Last edited:
Valid point, but I would guess that Texas will be able to make their schedule as "nationally relevant" as the choose to. Heck, it really isn't that national this year... as BYU and UCLA don't really move the needle I don't think. And if I remember correctly, there's currently only two live games scheduled for the network this year.
I think they have been trying to schedule more nationally relevent programs in their non-conference recently. Why, you ask?

To go independent, and still have a reasonably tough SOS.

ESPN carries the Tier 1 property for the B12. Fox only has control over Tier 2.

Could care less what happens to the B12? They are credited as being one of the major players that kept it together last season. There is a reason blah blah blah blah

No need to get offensive, I recognize your top-end ability to attack on a message board. Blue ribbon for you. I now see where ESPN is involved in the B12 deal, and you hit some great points about the "other sports" argument and the endowment dollars.

If you would look back at my original post, I wasn't saying either should/shouldn't, will/won't go, which you so delightfully jumped beyond, but to post about the current Big 12 contract. It appears to have verbiage written into it so that the dollars can expand/contract based on the number of conference teams or to readjust for "market value".

Last edited:
That Texas legislature is pretty wacky. I can foresee a major tug of war by the other Texas schools trying to benefit by an independant 12 game LHN schedule and fighting to be apart of that exposure. Unsure just how free they will be.

One weird thing in aggieland has been that recently the AD has not had their OOC home games televised because they didn't like having a 100,000 seat stadium only 3/4 full. They may search for all sorts of reasons to not be on the LHN for years to come.

I don't feel like the Texas fans stack up well against the other helmet schools. High school football is the cats *** down there...they seem much more fair weather driven, than some other palces. Put together a few subpar seasons and the option to watch on TV instead and DKR is a massive cavern on Saturdays. I feel at some point texas wont be able to always have their cake and eat it too.

Lol living in North Dallas for a while now, the legislature is certainly wacky. Nothing surprises me in this state. You're right on the HS football... man, it's crazy no matter where you go here. It was interesting to observe UT nation last fall, as they stumbled through their mediocre season. Very big difference in the Hook'ems between the start and end of the season.

too lazy to read through all the outright/perceived ISU bashing/defending, but has any one checked out the aTm boards? the one on scout had multuple threads on this subject.

Governer hair is too busy building buzz for his presidential bid, please no, to pay much attention right now. He is in a tight spot being an aggie who depends on donations from UT grads also.

There is no way ISU would drop clear down to the MAC. But IF the B12 was to blow up I could see the Mountain West being an option for a few of the bottom B12 schools. Honestly there is not room in this state for 2 BCS schools and I think this is a big reason why ISU struggles every year.

I still say the B1G goes after Kansas if it can get them without KSU. They would give the conference a much needed boost in basketball and I think they can pay for themselves in football by adding the Kansas City market.

Or perhaps the B12 can go back to being called the Big Eight. Really all they need is for Texas and Oklahoma to stick around to survive.

Chip Brown tweeted "There's nothing dfinite about A&M to the SEC but I was told A&M's lawyers are looking at everything. A&M regents mtg Aug. 22 will be big."

Clown fans might have a point...why would Texas go anywhere? They have little competition left. Oklahoma is their only real competition left in that conference. Ohhh, I suppose TT, Okie St, Texas A&M, and maybe Missouri might challenge Texas and Oklahoma on the rare occasion, but the league is primarily Texas and Oklahoma.

You could say this about any league.

Latest posts