A&M Will be in the SEC within 2 weeks!!

I went to espn.com for some accurate, unbiased information about whether this rumor was true. Surprisingly, there was nothing there. And guess which team was on the CFB page:

picture23h.png

There was your first problem..........

sarcasm, my man. Sarcasm.

Not saying Hunter's right, but ESPN is in bed with Texas. They're not going to first to report that Texas is killing the Big 12.

*smacks forehead*

Are you thinking clearer now?

ESPN is the FOXNEWS of the sporting world.

*smack* *smack*

I don't know about the rest of you, but this sidebar has been the highlight of this thread, IMO. Honestly, this is pretty hilarious!

I would love to see isu go to another Division like the MAC (if they could even get in).

Iowa would then be the only major school in the state...oh wait, they already are the only major school in the state. The clowns have and do play second fiddle to Iowa regardless of what they do. Even if they beat Iowa one year, it is ALWAYS considered a fluke.

And to the comment that the clowns have done well against Iowa the past 10 years. Most of the wins came the first few years that KF was coach and Iowa was rebuilding.

What is the record the last 6 years??? Ouch...

Get teams that dont suck so the clownies can stop being a waste of big 12 money. The clowns get money from the big 12 for landing in the bottom of the big 12 every year, yet clown fans believe that next year is the year we make it to a bowl game. (Cue ISUer, Mr ISU will win 8 games this year and make it to a bowl game.) There is absolutly no ******* way ISU will win 8 games this year PERIOD

why would the big 12 care that ISU is getting their last place money, some team has got to get it, i dont think it matters whether its ISU or Kansas. I guess its not good for the conference if the big boys get it so i would say they would rather ISU get that last place money

Yet the ESPN people say the exact opposite. Last summer ESPN showed that they were doing whatever it took to keep the B12 alive monetarily. Do you honestly think they are going to sit back and let their SEC property destroy their B12 property?

Due to the rise of DVR, ad revenue for sports is skyrocketing. The major players in college sports (ESPN/CBS/FOX/Comcast) know this, evidenced by the ridiculous contracts that conferences have been signing of recent (P12's Fox deal/B12's tier 2 Fox deal). These corporations are not going to allow their properties to be cannibalized by one another and they sure as hell aren't going to go from 6 high dollar commodities to 4. He who writes the checks, holds the power and unfortunately for A&M/SEC, they aren't writing any checks.

OK, maybe you can explain... but, the ESPN contract, is obviously the Longhorn Sports Network. The Big 12 deal is through Fox. The SEC deal is through ESPN. Now, if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that ESPN is/was protecting their two biggest interests, one of them being the Big 12? Because, frankly... it looks like they could care less what happens to the Big 12 as long as they have Texas (LHN) and the SEC deal- which are the two "properties" they care about most. Any destruction of the Big 12 would not "destroy" their Big 12 property... Texas has the ability to go independent at any time and still have a successful network.

The problem with Texas' independence will be putting together a strong 12 game schedule to appease ESPN. ATM is butthurt but the older SWC folks will demand the series continue. The 40 and under crowd might be fine with parting ways.

I can assume OU would stay connected in the RRS. Baylor and Tech don't seem to excite longhorn nation.

I could see a deal where Texas gets a few major games(OU/new opponent each season), then subsidizes the rest of the minor Texas programs (Houston, Rice, North Texas, etc) to pad the schedule. At what point does Texas need to have more nationally relevant games though?

Notre Dame has the edge with longstanding tradition of playing those B10 teams, USC, and the service academies. Typically they at least play a schedule that's on par with most conference teams.

I heard FSU is going to the Big East, Texas is going to the Pac 10, West Virginia is going to the SEC, and Alabama is going to the Big 10This will all happen when everyone stops their erotic fixation with conference realignment.

It's a little disappointing honestly that I haven't really seen one person say, "I don't give a f*** who is in what conference, I love watching the Hawkeyes play football, whoever, and wherever they may be playing."I like football, not journalistic fantasy football.

Valid point, but I would guess that Texas will be able to make their schedule as "nationally relevant" as the choose to. Heck, it really isn't that national this year... as BYU and UCLA don't really move the needle I don't think. And if I remember correctly, there's currently only two live games scheduled for the network this year.

I said SOME. You for a fact. And it's hard to not think that when the OP puts a smiley face at the end. ;)

You'd be wrong. Iowa has been pasting Iowa State for far too long for me to care what conference ISU is in. Big 8, Big 12, and wherever they end up next if it comes to that.

But you go right on ahead and keep telling yourself you know what I'm thinking, pops. Thanks for checking in.

Uggghhh .. let's not even get started on this topic until something happens for sure. Remember how the media blew up and had projections that almost every major conference was going to blow up and add and lose members and when it was all said and done, only a few teams moved around?

Let's hold off on predicting who will end up where and what this means for ISU, etc.

You'd be wrong. Iowa has been pasting Iowa State for far too long for me to care what conference ISU is in. Big 8, Big 12, and wherever they end up next if it comes to that.

But you go right on ahead and keep telling yourself you know what I'm thinking, pops. Thanks for checking in.
Hahaha!

Valid point, but I would guess that Texas will be able to make their schedule as "nationally relevant" as the choose to. Heck, it really isn't that national this year... as BYU and UCLA don't really move the needle I don't think. And if I remember correctly, there's currently only two live games scheduled for the network this year.

That Texas legislature is pretty wacky. I can foresee a major tug of war by the other Texas schools trying to benefit by an independant 12 game LHN schedule and fighting to be apart of that exposure. Unsure just how free they will be.

One weird thing in aggieland has been that recently the AD has not had their OOC home games televised because they didn't like having a 100,000 seat stadium only 3/4 full. They may search for all sorts of reasons to not be on the LHN for years to come.

I don't feel like the Texas fans stack up well against the other helmet schools. High school football is the cats *** down there...they seem much more fair weather driven, than some other palces. Put together a few subpar seasons and the option to watch on TV instead and DKR is a massive cavern on Saturdays. I feel at some point texas wont be able to always have their cake and eat it too.

OK, maybe you can explain... but, the ESPN contract, is obviously the Longhorn Sports Network. The Big 12 deal is through Fox. The SEC deal is through ESPN. Now, if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that ESPN is/was protecting their two biggest interests, one of them being the Big 12? Because, frankly... it looks like they could care less what happens to the Big 12 as long as they have Texas (LHN) and the SEC deal- which are the two "properties" they care about most. Any destruction of the Big 12 would not "destroy" their Big 12 property... Texas has the ability to go independent at any time and still have a successful network.

ESPN carries the Tier 1 property for the B12. Fox only has control over Tier 2.

Could care less what happens to the B12? They are credited as being one of the major players that kept it together last season. There is a reason why the B12 didn't lose a dime in their contract even though they no longer have a championship game and are down two teams.

The Longhorn Network is one of their two properties they care about most? Seriously? It's $15 million a year. The upcoming B12 Tier 1 negotiations could easily be on par with that of the P12 if not higher do to the much increased interest in college football in the Midwest in comparison to that of the West Coast.

The idea that Texas is going independent is naive and just uncontrollably idiotic. Everyone tries to say that "CFB is a business" yet when realignment talk starts they throw away the easiest core business principles out the window. Do you honestly think that Texas is going to mortgage their entire athletic program on a $15 million/year deal? What do they do with every sport besides football? Do you really think they are going to bury their mens basketball program in some mid major conference or toss their baseball program to the wolves? They stay in the B12 they have increased revenue, security, highly reduced travel costs, access to other B12 institutions, etc.

Any time anyone tries to tell me that Texas is going independent my nose starts to bleed.

It's almost as dumb as the idea that A&M and Texas are going to split. Here is something to chew on: they share endowment dollars. The research money that goes back and forth between those two institutions alone dwarfs any increased revenue from them splitting up.

I feel the vast majority of you have no clue what you're talking about. I get it, you all want to see that school to the west burn, which in fact would hurt the economy of the state many of you live in. You're rooting to **** yourselves over, just to watch others suffer.

I'm starting to think the majority of you are ******* idiots.

Last edited:
The other thing that always blows my mind is people getting so worked up about the LHN as if it was something new in the college landscape. You all ever heard of the University of Florida and the Sunshine Network? It's the same damn thing. To steal the thoughts of FrankTheTank, the only difference between the two is the horrible branding effort that ESPN put into it. Call that network the Austin Sports Network and you wouldn't hear half of the crying about it that you do now.

I for one think Iowa St. could greatly benefit on the football portion of things if they were to join the MAC or some other lower tier conference. They would probably go to bowl games most years and in doing so raise their football programs prestige. To me being a bottom feeder in a BCS league is less appealing than being up top in a non BCS league.

+1. Would rather see them in Conference USA or MWC rather than the MAC personally.

Big XII stability comes down to one word, "TRUST". Which schools do you trust and which ones you don't? Given the history of the former Southwest Conference selfish interest prevailed. The tension between A&M and UT isn't fiction and it exist for more reasons than the football rivalry. To claim that Texas politicians won't let the two go separate ways maybe more hope than reality.

Latest posts