2nd Annual Cy-Hawk Team (Combined Roster Starters)

Thanks for posting this team Jon, it's great to have a Hawkeye message board packed with looney bin Cyclone fans.....

Sash could go to the NFL after this year. he's a 2nd team all american as a sophomore. Greenwood has been nothing but exceptional on one of the best defenses in the nation. Sims has been good on one of the worst defenses in the nation. 88 tackles playing behind a d-line and linebacking corps that cant tackle and 5 picks in a pass happy league... he's still not Sash. I'd still take Greenwood

Tell that to Nebraska, Texas, and OU who all ranked in the top 10 in the country last year in total defense.

And that is in a conference that has had a lot of offensive firepower the last 3 years. Just look at the NFL draft the last couple years. A lot of high round draft picks coming out of the Big 12 on offense. Of course the defenses will give up some bigger #'s.

I had to look it up. Over the last three years the Big 12 has had a team in the top 10 in total offense 11 times, the Big 10 = 0. On the other side of the ball over the Big 10 has placed 9 teams in the top ten in defense vs. the Big 12 at 5.

Big 12 Total Offense (Top 10s 2007-2009)
TTU - 3
Tex - 2
Missou - 2
Oka - 2
OSU - 1
KU - 1

Big 12 Total Defense (Top 10s 2007-2009)
Oka - 2
Nebby - 1
Tex - 1
KU - 1

Big 10 Total Defense (Top 10s 2007-2009)
OSU - 3
PSU - 3
Iowa - 2 (2008/2009)

Looking at just the numbers there is no doubt that the Big 12 has had a more complete conference the past three years. That being said, how do these numbers factor into this discussion?

Greenwood has started on a team that has placed in the top ten in total defense the past two years. His experience should, and in Jon's opinion does, get him the start over a kid who has one season under his belt. It doesn't mean that Sims isn't a bad safety because he's not, it just means that in this case consistency wins out over one season.

You wouldnt take Stanzi over Arnaud? honest question

I'm not ISU4LYF but personally I don't like eithers game. I think Arnaud isn't a great fit for this offense (we will see though as he has had 3 different offenses in his career) and Stanzi doesn't do much for me either. Too inconsistent but has been saved by Iowa's fantastic defense.

I'd give it to Stanzi based on wins but like I said I am not a huge fan of either

Sash could go to the NFL after this year. he's a 2nd team all american as a sophomore. Greenwood has been nothing but exceptional on one of the best defenses in the nation. Sims has been good on one of the worst defenses in the nation. 88 tackles playing behind a d-line and linebacking corps that cant tackle and 5 picks in a pass happy league... he's still not Sash. I'd still take Greenwood

I can't believe I'm going to say this but ISU was ranked 43rd last year in total defense. Not necessarily "one of the worst in the nation". That being said they were 112 in 2008 and 96 in 2007. So historically yes one of the worst, last season... average.

Once again, terrible posts with little stats, must be a HN thing. ISU was 43rd in total defense and in the top 25 in scoring defense.

I can't believe I'm going to say this but ISU was ranked 43rd last year in total defense. Not necessarily "one of the worst in the nation". That being said they were 112 in 2008 and 96 in 2007. So historically yes one of the worst, last season... average.

Yeah Chizik for being a defensive coach was horrible. He even had more talent and depth than what Rhoads had and did 10X worse.

Rhoads and Burnham make a fantastic defensive team. This really is the best total staff ISU has put together in my lifetime

Can't tackle? There was a lot of things our defense lacked last year but tackling wasn't one of them. They tackled very well. Now we just need to get more speed out there.

2 out of 5 of those picks were against Stanzi

words cannot describe how much I hate Iowa State. they make me nauseous just thinking about them. they will never in any aspect be as good as Iowa in anything. I just wish Iowa State fans would realize this, get over the jealousy already. once our little brother always our little brother. look at the all time records between Iowa and Iowa State and get over yourself.

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy do Iowa State fans have to hold on to the past? sports are "what have you done for me lately" correct? and what has Iowa State done in anything recently?

Once again, terrible posts with little stats, must be a HN thing. ISU was 43rd in total defense and in the top 25 in scoring defense.

Really? Because College Football Statistics has them ranked 33rd in Scoring Defense. I don't know about you but that's NOT in the top 25.

cfbstats.com - 2009 National Team Leaders

And SportsRatings has them listed @ 46.

http://sportsratings.typepad.com/college_football/score-stats-defense.html

If your going to throw stones about not posting stats, please make sure yours are correct

Last edited:

Latest posts