2019 Tyreke Locure

I've seen both of them play in person multiple times and my observations tell me that DJ is a higher prospect as a shooting guard and Locure is higher prospect at point guard. DJ doesn't have the lateral quickness or passing skills that Locure has. I'm on record as wanting both of these guys on the Iowa team. Locure at the #1 and Carton at the #2.

That is great. Just please don't be offended when I trust the coaches at these schools BB evaluations more than yours:

Creighton
Illinois
Indiana
Michigan
Iowa St.
Kansas St.
Marquette
Minnesota
Missouri
Ohio St
Wisconsin

We are all entitled to our opinions, some just hold more weight than others.

That is great. Just please don't be offended when I trust the coaches at these schools BB evaluations more than yours:

Creighton
Illinois
Indiana
Michigan
Iowa St.
Kansas St.
Marquette
Minnesota
Missouri
Ohio St
Wisconsin

Uh, there is one more important school missing from your list!

Creighton
Illinois
Indiana
Michigan
Iowa St.
Kansas St.
Marquette
Minnesota
Missouri
Ohio St
Wisconsin

1. I've probably seen Carton play in person more often than all of those schools.
2. Do you really think all those schools are recruiting him as a point guard?

1. I've probably seen Carton play in person more often than all of those schools.
2. Do you really think all those schools are recruiting him as a point guard?

I have not seen anything saying that any team is recruiting him at anything other than SG.

Since you are the resident DJ expert as you have seen him play more than any P6 coach that has offered him. Why do you think he is a SG? He only shot 32%, and in HS for a P6 prospect, that would be a horrible shooting % for a SG

It's just this kind of thing that annoys me. Carton is not probably a better prospect. He is a better prospect. It is not debatable in any form.
Enjoy your day and the upcoming AAU season. I've made it as clear as I can that I'm no more of an expert than the next person.

I always leave room to wiggle when it comes to an opinion. Fair game for both sides to respectfully discuss.

Why that annoys you is something you have to deal with.

I have not seen anything saying that any team is recruiting him at anything other than SG.

Since you are the resident DJ expert as you have seen him play more than any P6 coach that has offered him. Why do you think he is a SG? He only shot 32%, and in HS for a P6 prospect, that would be a horrible shooting % for a SG
His field goal % was 49.2% and 32.2% from behind the arc isn't great, but it's also not horrible.
DJ's assist/turnover ratio this season was 1.06, while Locure's was 2.

TK, I don't know if you are a relative or what, but I said long ago that if he were 3" taller he would have major offers. This isn't about his "game" per say, it is just is it a good enough game AT HIS SIZE to be an effective P6 PG. Right now the answer to that is no. Could change this summer, and I wouldn't be upset at all if that is who Iowa gets at PG. Just think this whole Locure >>>> DJ is crazy.

I haven't seen anyone claim Locure >>>> DJ.

I will say that Locure has put up better numbers than DJ and has done so against much better competition. Granted things have changed, but in 1999 when I graduated from City, Bettendorf was not in the MVC (Mississippi Valley Conference ). So Locure is putting up those numbers against WDM Valley, Dsm Hoover, Ames, Ankeny, etc. Carton is putting up lesser numbers against Muscatine and Burlington. Unless Bettendorf has joined the MVC Carton isn't even playing against the Cedar Rapids, Dubuque and Waterloo schools. (Hopefully they do play some of the Dubuque schools).
For me what's most frustrating is that the coaches seem to view Locure as an afterthought. I haven't seen Carton play in person, I Iive in Central Iowa and have been watching Locure since his freshman year. This kid is very good. As smooth of a PG I've seen at the Iowa high school level since Marcus Paige.

Curry with the huge offer list of:

Davidson, Virginia Commonwealth, High Point, Virginia Tech, William & Mary, Winthrop, and Wofford
And that was with his old man being who he is. What's funny is Stephs little brother wasn't half the player he was and he got offers all over the place and went to Duke... Imagine how that works. He wasn't a bad player by any means but sure wasn't what Duke thought they mighta been getting.

And that was with his old man being who he is. What's funny is Stephs little brother wasn't half the player he was and he got offers all over the place and went to Duke... Imagine how that works. He wasn't a bad player by any means but sure wasn't what Duke thought they mighta been getting.
He transferred to Duke FWIW. He had no P5 offers out of high school.

The point guard scores 22 points along with 10 assists.
The shooting guard scores 25 points along with 9 rebounds.

Can you see why I want Iowa to have Locure at the #1 and Carton at the #2?

BTW, both Carton & Locure averaged 5.7 rebounds a game this past high school season.

His field goal % was 49.2% and 32.2% from behind the arc isn't great, but it's also not horrible.
DJ's assist/turnover ratio this season was 1.06, while Locure's was 2.

The point guard scores 22 points along with 10 assists.
The shooting guard scores 25 points along with 9 rebounds.

Can you see why I want Iowa to have Locure at the #1 and Carton at the #2?

BTW, both Carton & Locure averaged 5.7 rebounds a game this past high school season.

I wouldn't mind getting both of them. DJ isn't a SG though.

Carton finished with 25 points on 8-for-18 shooting, while also reeling in nine rebounds. A strong, physical lead guard, Carton showed off his terrific vision and passing skills, but also his athleticism, quickness and ability to finish in traffic.

“The biggest strength in my game right now is finding guys that are open and stuff like that,” Carton said.

“I feel like my vision is really well as a true point guard,” he added. “I feel like that’s one of my biggest strengths right now and my athleticism to get to the hoop. Right now I think I’m more of a true point guard and finding my teammates open and stuff like that.”

That was certainly the case on Friday and is a big reason why he’s reeled in scholarship offers from Creighton, Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, Iowa, Marquette, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Missouri, Indiana and Iowa State.

Carton made impressive plays at the rim, finishing through contact on a handful of occasions. He also showed and used his athleticism (39-inch running vertical) at the rim. Although he struggled shooting it from three, he proved to be a very good finisher and a keen passer.

I wouldn't mind getting both of them. DJ isn't a SG though.

Carton finished with 25 points on 8-for-18 shooting, while also reeling in nine rebounds. A strong, physical lead guard, Carton showed off his terrific vision and passing skills, but also his athleticism, quickness and ability to finish in traffic.

“The biggest strength in my game right now is finding guys that are open and stuff like that,” Carton said.

“I feel like my vision is really well as a true point guard,” he added. “I feel like that’s one of my biggest strengths right now and my athleticism to get to the hoop. Right now I think I’m more of a true point guard and finding my teammates open and stuff like that.”

That was certainly the case on Friday and is a big reason why he’s reeled in scholarship offers from Creighton, Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, Iowa, Marquette, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Missouri, Indiana and Iowa State.

Carton made impressive plays at the rim, finishing through contact on a handful of occasions. He also showed and used his athleticism (39-inch running vertical) at the rim. Although he struggled shooting it from three, he proved to be a very good finisher and a keen passer.
His vision and passing skills are so terrific, they neglected to mention his assist stats. Meanwhile.... Locure tallies up 10 assists. DJ may think his biggest strength is "finding guys that are open and stuff like that," but in actuality his biggest strength is finishing at the rim and stuff like that. ;)

BTW, this past season Locure averaged twice as many assists as Carton.

Latest posts