2019 Recruiting: Big Board

i don't see DJ as any different or better than CM. that's my opinion. i don't think missing on DJ would be that big a deal. the real need is to get speed and quickness on the perimeter. don't think DJ has any more of that than CM.

Watch highlights of DJ making plays and throwing it down on three defenders last night in his AAU game and say he's not any different or better than Connor. He's exactly what we need!

I have to agree with this. I haven't seen Carton play much in person, so maybe I'm missing it but I'm not seeing a top 50 PG. I'll look for him on the AAU circuit this summer. Maybe that will help clear it up.

I think this may be a case of you not seeing him much. He blew up last year, and there is talk that he could blow up even more this AAU season and get a 5* ranking.

I don't know if I have seen this much questioning of a top 50 kid before. I mean I get having questions about a Conner or a Garza top 100-125 type recruit. There simply isn't anything to "Not like" about DJ. He is up to 198 lbs, so he has a B1G body already as a HS Jr. He has great athleticism, can handle the ball and can finish at the rim. This is basically everything people cry about not having now.

I think this may be a case of you not seeing him much. He blew up last year, and there is talk that he could blow up even more this AAU season and get a 5* ranking.

Exactly! I don't know how you could say there is no difference between him who will probably end up being a 5* and Connor who was a 3*.

Carton is a BEAST and he has some swag too, I like it. On another site, I read there was some buzz at this event that we sit pretty well with him. Take it for what it's worth.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...nal-championship-prediction-hagans-heating-up

The travel ball or "grassroots" season is about to shift into fifth gear in just a few weeks with live evaluation periods where college coaches can scout during the last two weekends of April.

As I start to gather notes, plan a schedule and figure out who we need to be watching, I spend a lot of time thinking about whose recruitment could really take off. The more I consider the coming month, the more I feel that four-star point guard

D.J. Carton
will see his stock soar.

Don't get me wrong, Carton is no unknown. He's already ranked No. 51 nationally and holds offers from Illinois, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, Marquette, Minnesota, Missouri and Ohio State to name a few. He has size, he has skill, he has athleticism and he's a top line leader.

What I also find interesting is that Carton – who runs with Quad City Elite – doesn't play on any of the major shoe sponsored circuits. That means that coaches are going to have to go off the beaten path a little to see him and there's no doubt in my mind that they will be glad they did. As long as coaches are doing their homework, look for his recruitment to go to another level before the end of the month and don't be surprised if he emerges as one of 2019's elite prospects.

I don’t have all the answers, but I know one thing. If you’re regularly playing a lineup that has Nunge at the #3 and Garza at the #5, you are at an immediate disadvantage from a quickness standpoint. A team that plays a four guard lineup will slice and dice that up, especially when Cook jagged it a lot at the #4. Next season, I hope to see more of this type of lineup:

JBo/Grad Transfer
Connor/Moss/Fredrick
Wieskamp
Cook (fully engaged)
Garza/Kriener

This would provide dead on shooters and good distributors at the #1, #2 and #3 spots. The #3 position was a black hole this year. It would create openings for bigs. If Cook has NBA aspirations, he needs a Luka Garza attitude because he would be unstoppable on offense and a menace on defense. Hopefully Garza and Kriener can make improvements in their foot speed and lateral quickness this offseason. I am hopeful Fran pulls the trigger on at least one athletic PG grad transfer or Juco player.

That highlight doesn't really show much. Hell I've made a dunk like the first one at 6'0" when I was in high school as well. I'm not arguing that he isn't a good player, just saying that highlight doesn't prove anything. 2nd one won't load as I'm at work - will check it when I get home.