'19 In-State PG Tyreke Locure Talks Increased Iowa Interest

What is his upside? He's always going to be small and not athletic at his position. He's already a good 3 point shooter but I don't see him ever being able to penetrate and score. I don't think he'll ever be a good defender. Do you think he's going to be able to shoot 60% from 3 or where do you see this upside at?

Saying upside is just like a projection or prediction - so take it for what it's worth, you'll likely try and laugh it off like when I told you Jordan was picking up steam for the ALL B1G freshman team

.... but Jordan could easily become Iowa's all time leader in assists or 3's. He could end up leading Iowa back to the sweet 16, E8 or FF. He could end up making multiple ALL-B1G squads. He's got a shot to end up in the top 10 in school history in scoring.... not bad for a guy who's always going to be small and not athletic for his position.

Jordan is one of only two freshmen nationally the last 25 years to register 175+ assists and 85+ 3-pointers - that's a kid with upside.

first Hawkeye in history to post three consecutive double-doubles in points and assists.... might be a kid with some upside.

scored 23 pts, had 7- 3 pointers and 7 assists in first career start at Notre Dame... sounds like a kid who's peaked

seriously - I am sorry this thread isn't more about Locure but I got to get my light work in on 56 who really makes it easy. Saying Jordan doesn't have any upside is without a doubt the least intelligent thing he's said and that's saying a whole lot. Plus, it's a message board, if you wanna talk about Locure, be my guest, I'll be here defending Iowa kids.

What is his upside? He's always going to be small and not athletic at his position. He's already a good 3 point shooter but I don't see him ever being able to penetrate and score. I don't think he'll ever be a good defender. Do you think he's going to be able to shoot 60% from 3 or where do you see this upside at?
If JBo doesn't improve at anything and just duplicates what he did as a freshman for 3 more years he'll have some pretty crazy stats all time at Iowa I bet... I bet he'd be #1 in assists and 3pters made among other things. I'm saying this without even doing the math but I also say this knowing he'll be improving on them. What's the over under for what he'll avg in assists this yr? I'll stick my neck out and say 5 (with 3 being unimpressive). I bet he'll avg more than the 11 pts he did too considering the first 8 games or so he didn't start or play as much. That slow start really skewed his overall stats. If you were to look at just his last 15 games or so.... He was awesome. Not just ok.. I see no reason to think he couldn't improve some on his play and stats. Just because he isn't Allen Iverson and able to get in the lane and to the rim or free throw line a ton doesn't mean he's good player. John Stockton, Mark Price, Heck BJ Armstrong himself wasn't even that type of player you seem to envision as being your perfect PG. Don't get me wrong if another Penny Hardaway comes along I hope we can get him. But I'm not going to complain about JBo. He's earned more than he's received as far as adoration from some of his 'fans' goes...

If Bohannon consistently does what he did at the end of the year, he doesn't even need to cross the half court line on defense to be a 3 time 1st team player.

If JBo doesn't improve at anything and just duplicates what he did as a freshman for 3 more years he'll have some pretty crazy stats all time at Iowa I bet... I bet he'd be #1 in assists and 3pters made among other things. I'm saying this without even doing the math but I also say this knowing he'll be improving on them. What's the over under for what he'll avg in assists this yr? I'll stick my neck out and say 5 (with 3 being unimpressive). I bet he'll avg more than the 11 pts he did too considering the first 8 games or so he didn't start or play as much. That slow start really skewed his overall stats. If you were to look at just his last 15 games or so.... He was awesome. Not just ok.. I see no reason to think he couldn't improve some on his play and stats. Just because he isn't Allen Iverson and able to get in the lane and to the rim or free throw line a ton doesn't mean he's good player. John Stockton, Mark Price, Heck BJ Armstrong himself wasn't even that type of player you seem to envision as being your perfect PG. Don't get me wrong if another Penny Hardaway comes along I hope we can get him. But I'm not going to complain about JBo. He's earned more than he's received as far as adoration from some of his 'fans' goes...

bingo - an assist is an assist, a basket going through the hoop is either 1,2 or 3 pts no matter how it's achieved or how you see it. Great players find a way to impact the game in any way they can - conventionally or not - just because of where he ranked in HS doesn't pre-determine Jordan's career at Iowa like 56 tries to sell daily

You pointed out a good game so I pointed out a bad game. That's how sports work.

I pointed out his first start ever, but yeah, all calibers of players have good and bad games

bingo - an assist is an assist, a basket going through the hoop is either 1,2 or 3 pts no matter how it's achieved or how you see it. Great players find a way to impact the game in any way they can - conventionally or not - just because of where he ranked in HS doesn't pre-determine Jordan's career at Iowa like 56 tries to sell daily

I pointed out his first start ever, but yeah, all calibers of players have good and bad games

I just don't agree with "an assist is an assist". Would you rather have a guy who could get a dunk any time he wanted or a guy who could get a mid range jumper any time he wanted? The mid range jumper is nowhere near as reliable as a dunk. Its the same way with assists. If your passes are at the mercy of whether or not your teammate makes a jumper, it's not near as beneficial to the team as if your pass gets your teammate a better scoring opportunity like a layup or dunk.

Its like in poker. If you get your money all in and need to hit a 2 outer to win, some people might say "a win is a win". They are right in a sense, but truthfully, you needed to get lucky. To me, getting your money in bad and getting lucky to win isn't the same as getting your money in good and winning. If you always need 2 outers, you're gunna lose over the long haul. Just like if you always rely on jumpers because you can't feed the post (Last year's team), you're eventually going to lose. All assists are not created equal.

You pointed out a good game so I pointed out a bad game. That's how sports work.

Hawk fan points out a Hawkeye players good game, of course all good Hawk fans then makes sure they point out his worse game. Seems normal enough.

Last edited:
I just don't agree with "an assist is an assist". Would you rather have a guy who could get a dunk any time he wanted or a guy who could get a mid range jumper any time he wanted? The mid range jumper is nowhere near as reliable as a dunk. Its the same way with assists. If your passes are at the mercy of whether or not your teammate makes a jumper, it's not near as beneficial to the team as if your pass gets your teammate a better scoring opportunity like a layup or dunk.

But through the course of a season, all guys are going to get credited with assists that lead to dunks and jumpers. So, relative to all other players, assist effectiveness is roughly going to be equal across the board.

They would have to create a new statistic to differentiate assists that lead to dunks and lay-ins and assists that lead to made jumpers. Probably could happen some day but until they do, an assist is an assist.

It doesn't matter what side you're on, you think the other side has alternative facts. People are funny how they think they know what's true and what's not. Seth Davis is the worst how sure he is that has on the "right side" like he sits in white house meetings or something.

Absolutely. Some people don't care whether they are basing their opinions from factual info. That's why you have to take their opinions for what they are. Hence the reason I presented 5656 with some stats (facts) and asked for his opinion based on them. He chooses to gloss over them like they are irrelevant, hence now I know how to view his word vomit going forward.

If you hate Iowa so much, why don't you follow a different team?

I don't hate Iowa because I think Carr is better than Jordan. I was the one defending Mike, Sapp and Woody their senior year saying how much we were going to miss their defense. I appreciate good defense so I'm not all in on the Jordan being an elite point guard hype.

Latest posts