How severe punishment for Gard’s comments about refs?

Ed Frickin Hightower hated us.
He was sneaky about it too, he called meaningless fouls after the game was decided and always made the big call that swung the game against the Hawks. Then he would call enough fouls to make it look even. He was young during the Bane incident and I'm sure he never forgot or forgave. Can't say I could blame him I'm sure as a rookie official he deferred to Bain on most calls. He got caught in the hurricane.

Keegan's foul call was phantom , non-existent but it was called. So you cant erase the bad keegan foul call but then the hook and hold happened just after that whistle.

Those refs were pretty bad, even terrible.
I understand but Keegan was moving to intercept the ball and made no contact until Davidson hooked him to get the call and prevent him from stealing the ball. I wasn't aware that the call couldn't be waived off. It should have been because the hook was the cause of the contact. If they can't call it correctly what's the sense of the replay?

It was Bo Boroski's crew yesterday

He usually Fucks the Hawks Royally

But he called a decent game yesterday

The Ahole commenting after the game with Jim Jackson mentioned:

He would rather see the game decided by the players on the floor than
the referees give the game to Iowa

F him

And these badger fans on Twitter

Sour Grapes, I say

It's All Good, Lads

I agree players get reputations. Adam Woodbury was viewed as dirty, and he kind of was. Connor is smart dirty. I bet Fran was a dirty player in college. Who was that kid from Duke that kept tripping people? Who else?

Davidson gets the attention he deserves.

Punk from Duke was Grayson Allen

Perhaps worse that Davison

The most punchable face in sport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcEq7xhxD4g

Indisputable proof Duke's Grayson Allen is the dirtiest player in basketball​

Davidson cost his team a chance at winning a couple years ago when he hooked Connor's leg trying to draw a foul. Against Illinois he reached up and pulled Cockburn's arm into his and started pointing at the refs for a hook and hold. They reviewed the play and correctly called it on Davidson. The guy is an idiot. It's like he forgets the refs can rewatch the play.
Um ... unless you're thinking of a different play in a different game (which is entirely possible, especially when it comes to the douche-bag Davison), it was not a hook on Connor's leg. I won't repeat what it really was, but it was the epitome of dirty play - the kind of crap there is absolutely no room for anywhere in basketball.

Someone is going to have to explain something to me. Another poster called the hook-and-hold the "targeting" of college basketball. I'm not sure where he intended to go with that statement, but I can tell you two things: *Both targeting and the h-&-h are REALLY bad technique - a poor substitute for playing sound defense; *But both are also something you don't just accidentally do - either someone is coaching people to do this, or you're stupid enough to think this is a good way to do things - and then again, you must not have a coach STRONGLY discouraging that kind of play.

Either way, it was made a focus of college BB officiating because there was clearly WAY too much of it. And the only way to bring it to a halt - just like targeting - is to make the penalty severe enough, and then enforce that penalty, until this idiotic excuse for defensive technique is brought to a permanent stop.

Am I missing something??

As for Gard and Davison's Wisconsin teammates, I suppose this whining is what they think they are supposed to do. OK, Gard is beyond frustrated because what was essentially the same team that won the B1G regular season last year just finished .500 in the conference this year, and tied for 6th with mighty Rutgers.

But I have less tolerance for his teammates, who quickly said, "That's not who he is." I tired ages ago about hearing about dirty teams and players that are involved in questionable practices on and off the field/court, and all we ever hear is, "Well that's not who we are." "Well I can tell you that's not who he is."

After about the 14th time something like that has happened, it's time to change the script. If you want to say things like, "Brad is just a super-competitive player who is working as hard as anyone ever can to help us to victory," and then just leave it at that, so be it.

But don't give me this crap about that not being who he is. This is EXACTLY who he is. And even if we never hear about it, it's time for his teammates to be talking to him in the locker room saying, "Look, pal - all you are doing is costing us games - and it's got to stop!" Trust me - it would if somebody had the cajones to do that.

Mine is 14 and I haven't missed an athletic event or activity his entire life (my job is crazy flexible about that stuff), but I did tell him, "Son, I'm not going to your track meets." He's only going out because our football coach requires it and he doesn't give a shit.

Side note, and this has probably already been thought about......

I think a guy could make a pile of money developing a mobile app that would stream track meets (most every school has camera setups on the press box and around the field for football), but also send you alerts when a certain competitor is about to start. Like, you could be home, at work, or out and about (anything is better than actually going to a track meet in person), and your phone would beep telling you, "Little Timmy is starting the 100m hurdles in 3:00" or whatever. Then you could watch the race, and when it's over go back about your business till his or her next event starts. Sell that shit to schools, charge them $.50 per viewer or $100 per event or something. I'd pay a buck or two for that so I didn't have to sit through a whole meet waiting for one event.

All they'd have to do is have someone enter participants which they have to do anyway, and enter into the app when events are finished and starting. There are always 40 old retired dudes working those things anyway, give one of 'em an iPad to run.
That's a hell of an idea. If I had any drive or intelligence, I'd be on that in a second. Where my brother coaches they charge $8 to watch basketball games. My parents pay it because it'd be $10 to go to the game.

Davidson cost his team a chance at winning a couple years ago when he hooked Connor's leg trying to draw a foul. Against Illinois he reached up and pulled Cockburn's arm into his and started pointing at the refs for a hook and hold. They reviewed the play and correctly called it on Davidson. The guy is an idiot. It's like he forgets the refs can rewatch the play.

As what point does the B1G suspend a guy for a game or two and have a conversation with his coach about his play moving forward?

Punk from Duke was Grayson Allen

Perhaps worse that Davison

The most punchable face in sport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcEq7xhxD4g

Indisputable proof Duke's Grayson Allen is the dirtiest player in basketball​

I put those two in the same category. They just were always trying to get away with shit. Allen is a better overall player and on Duke so he got way more publicity for his BS but Davison isn't a whole lot different really.

What I can't get over is how Gard went to bat for him the way that he did. He pretty much said that hook and hold shouldn't be foul in that situation... How the hell can one figure that? He was preventing Murray from being able to go for the pass. If he hadn't Murray may have tipped it away. You flip the jerseys and in no way would Gard have that same take and I don't think Fran woulda defended it either.

Um ... unless you're thinking of a different play in a different game (which is entirely possible, especially when it comes to the douche-bag Davison), it was not a hook on Connor's leg. I won't repeat what it really was, but it was the epitome of dirty play - the kind of crap there is absolutely no room for anywhere in basketball.
People like to call that play a nut punch, but really he was pulling his leg into himself to create contact.

Someone is going to have to explain something to me. Another poster called the hook-and-hold the "targeting" of college basketball. I'm not sure where he intended to go with that statement, but I can tell you two things: *Both targeting and the h-&-h are REALLY bad technique - a poor substitute for playing sound defense; *But both are also something you don't just accidentally do - either someone is coaching people to do this, or you're stupid enough to think this is a good way to do things - and then again, you must not have a coach STRONGLY discouraging that kind of play.

Either way, it was made a focus of college BB officiating because there was clearly WAY too much of it. And the only way to bring it to a halt - just like targeting - is to make the penalty severe enough, and then enforce that penalty, until this idiotic excuse for defensive technique is brought to a permanent stop.

Am I missing something??
No. You are not. I would say that targeting in football may have a higher likelihood of being accidental. Operative word, “may.”

As for Gard and Davison's Wisconsin teammates, I suppose this whining is what they think they are supposed to do. OK, Gard is beyond frustrated because what was essentially the same team that won the B1G regular season last year just finished .500 in the conference this year, and tied for 6th with mighty Rutgers.

But I have less tolerance for his teammates, who quickly said, "That's not who he is." I tired ages ago about hearing about dirty teams and players that are involved in questionable practices on and off the field/court, and all we ever hear is, "Well that's not who we are." "Well I can tell you that's not who he is."

After about the 14th time something like that has happened, it's time to change the script. If you want to say things like, "Brad is just a super-competitive player who is working as hard as anyone ever can to help us to victory," and then just leave it at that, so be it.

But don't give me this crap about that not being who he is. This is EXACTLY who he is. And even if we never hear about it, it's time for his teammates to be talking to him in the locker room saying, "Look, pal - all you are doing is costing us games - and it's got to stop!" Trust me - it would if somebody had the cajones to do that.
Good point about Wisconsin underachieving this year. Before the season they were one of two teams i was worried about (Illinois was the other) But it is very un-Wisconsin like for a team with that much senior experience to finish as low as they did and to see them lose games they used to win over 60% of the time. They have to be getting frustrated up there and will be a desperate team in the BTT.

I'm not getting into the argument as to whether Davison is a dirty player. You have your opinion and I mine. I probably won't change your mind and you certainly won't change mine.

BTW - do NOT read anything into that. We are all probably on the same page.

The bottom line is this: During live action, the officials saw something and felt the need to take a look at it. My belief is they were looking at KeMurr's actions, not Davison's. The replay showed, however, that KeMurr didn't do anything wrong and Davison committed a hook & hold.

As mentioned before, however, they couldn't or wouldn't reverse the foul call on KeMurr. That left them 2 options:
1) If they thought it was a basketball play, stand by the call and play on
2) If they felt Davison committed the h&h - call it
They obviously felt there was something there and chose the latter.

I don't think they would have called the h&h if, based on the replay, they felt Davison hadn't committed it. Gard is simply planting the seed for the B1G Tourney and beyond.

But honestly, if the refs are going to take the time to review it and see something, they have to call it.

Simply my 2¢ .. .. ..

I'm not getting into the argument as to whether Davison is a dirty player. You have your opinion and I mine. I probably won't change your mind and you certainly won't change mine.

BTW - do NOT read anything into that. We are all probably on the same page.

The bottom line is this: During live action, the officials saw something and felt the need to take a look at it. My belief is they were looking at KeMurr's actions, not Davison's. The replay showed, however, that KeMurr didn't do anything wrong and Davison committed a hook & hold.

As mentioned before, however, they couldn't or wouldn't reverse the foul call on KeMurr. That left them 2 options:
1) If they thought it was a basketball play, stand by the call and play on
2) If they felt Davison committed the h&h - call it
They obviously felt there was something there and chose the latter.

I don't think they would have called the h&h if, based on the replay, they felt Davison hadn't committed it. Gard is simply planting the seed for the B1G Tourney and beyond.

But honestly, if the refs are going to take the time to review it and see something, they have to call it.

Simply my 2¢ .. .. ..
They originally missed last year's Davison nut punch on Connor as well. In fact t it was Gard who asked them to go to the monitor during a time out, or when Gard called the time out they went to the monitor. Either way it was only then that they discovered what Davison did. They missed it live. And it was a flagrant 1 on Davison which meant free throws for us and the ball back which was huge in that spot

To my eyes, Keegan's move to deflect/intercept was clean until Davison decided to hook him and pull him to the floor. Should have been a flagrant on Davison and nothing else.

As a ref, I think you need to differentiate between two guys jockeying for the same open space vs one guy trying to move the other guy out of an established position. From the angles I saw, that was Keegan moving into open space to play the ball and Davison tackling him. If any coach should be red in the face, it's Fran on account of Keegan being called for playing good defense.

Latest posts